- Office Held:
- US Senate, FL
- Office Sought:
- US Senate, FL
- State Candidancy or Office Held:
- See also: State profile for Bill Nelson
NELSON, Clarence William (Bill), a Senator and a Representative from Florida; born in Miami, Dade County, Fla., September 29, 1942; attended the Brevard County public schools; graduated from Melbourne High School 1960; B.A., Yale University 1965; J.D., University of Virginia School of Law 1968; admitted to the Florida bar in 1968 and commenced practice in Melbourne in 1970; served in United States Army Reserve 1965-1971; United States Army, active duty, 1968-1970, achieving rank of captain; legislative assistant to Governor Reubin Askew 1971; elected to Florida State house of representatives in 1972 and reelected in 1974 and 1976; elected as a Democrat to the Ninety-sixth and to the five succeeding Congresses (January 3, 1979-January 3, 1991); was not a candidate for reelection in 1990 to the House of Representatives, but was a candidate for nomination for governor of Florida; crewmember on the twenty-fourth flight of the Space Shuttle Columbia, January 12-18, 1986; Florida treasurer and insurance commissioner 1995-2000; elected to the United States Senate in 2000 for the term commencing January 3, 2001; reelected in 2006 and again in 2012 for the term ending January 3, 2019; chair, Special Committee on Aging (One Hundred Thirteenth Congress).
Campaign Finance$13,332,928 Received
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through candidate's December 31, 2012 filing. independent expenditures updated daily.
Download all contributions to Bill Nelson Download all independent expenditures for or against Bill Nelson
Summaryoverview of how much the candidate raised and spent, and who contributed it
- Total Raised:
- $13,332,928 #15 of 63 Senate candidates
- Total Spent:
- $15,494,167 #14 of 63 Senate candidates
- Cash on Hand:
- $994,324 #15 of 63 Senate candidates
Contributions Over Timereflects only contributions over $200, as smaller contributions are not individually reported. For some candidates a significant portion of their fundraising may not be captured by this chart.
Independent Expendituresoutside groups that spent money supporting or opposing the candidate
Committee Name Support/Oppose Total Spending American CrossroadsOppose $4,022,606 Freedomworks For AmericaOppose $1,006,057 Florida Freedom PACSupport $363,376 Workers' VoiceSupport $257,359 Afl-CioSupport $257,359 American Fedn of St/Cnty/Munic EmployeesSupport $233,538 Saving Florida's FutureSupport $201,213 Reinventing a New Direction - RANDPACOppose $125,000 Fsa PACSupport $47,479 Service Employees International Union Pea-FederalSupport $37,698
Donor Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
Top IndustriesOpenSecrets.org and FollowTheMoney.org classify contribution data into about 100 industries.
In State vs. Out of Statecontributions from individuals, in dollars
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block