Steptoe & Johnson
Steptoe & Johnson LLP is an international law firm recognized for representation of clients before governmental agencies, advocacy in complex litigation and arbitration, and advice in guiding business transactions. The firm has 500 lawyers in offices in Beijing, Brussels, Century City, Chicago, London, Los Angeles, New York, Phoenix, and Washington, D.C..
Campaign Finance$3,403,018 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying Carried Out by Steptoe & Johnson
Names of Lobbyists
Client Amount National Assn of Convenience Stores $3,730,000 Federal Home Loan Bank of San Francisco $3,515,000 Soc of Ind Gasoline Marketers of America $1,970,000 Bear Stearns $1,950,000 National Assn of Insurance & Financial Advisors $1,890,000 TD Bank USA $1,782,300 University of Oklahoma $1,180,000 Council of Insurance Agents & Brokers $1,000,000 Institute of International Bankers $930,000 Cigna Corp $890,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Fuel, Gas & Oil,
- Health Issues,
- Environment & Superfund
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.4173 Wall Street Transparency and Accountability Act of 2010 S.3217 Private Fund Investment Advisers Registration Act of 2010 H.R.940 United States Covered Bond Act of 2011 H.R.1121 Responsible Consumer Financial Protection Regulations Act of 2011 H.R.1223 GSE Credit Risk Equitable Treatment Act of 2011 H.R.1224 GSE Portfolio Risk Reduction Act of 2011 S.1834 Residential Mortgage Market Privatization and Standardization Act of 2011 S.1963 Mortgage Finance Act of 2011 H.R.1427 Federal Housing Finance Reform Act of 2007 H.R.3609 Emergency Home Ownership and Mortgage Equity Protection Act of 2007
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Client Summary Oct. 4, 2013 The Internet Association Issues related to patent reform and copyright. View registration Oct. 4, 2013 Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism Issues related to agency funding View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 1028 dockets; Submitted to 85 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Steptoe & Johnson" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Steptoe & Johnson
- Toggle 17 DOT Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability in Air Travel 2008
- Toggle 15 DOT U.S. DOT/OST - Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Computer Reservation System (CRS) Regulations (Part 255) 1997
- Toggle 14 DOT Association of Retail Travel Agents - Emergency Petition for Rulemaking 1998
- Toggle 12 DOT Japan Air Charter Co., Ltd. - Exemption/Statement of Authorization - Codeshare With Japan Airlines 1999
- Toggle 10 DOT Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability in Air Travel - Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) 2004
- Toggle 9 DOT USA3000, BA, SAS, Air France, Swiss, Virgin, Lufthansa, TAP, Alitalia, El Al, Air Jamaica, Singapore and KLM - Complaint Against the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and Newark International Airport - Airport Fees Dispute 2005
- Toggle 9 DOT Amadeus Global Travel Distribution S.A. - Petition for Interpretation of Computer Reservations Systems Regulations 1999
- Toggle 8 DOT Northwest Airlines, Inc. and Japan Airlines Co., Ltd. - Statement of Authorization - Reciprocal Codesharing/Blocked Space 2000
- Toggle 8 DOT America West Airlines, Inc. - Petition for Rulemaking - Amendment of Part 255 1997
- Toggle 8 DOT Belair Airlines Ltd. - Exemption - United States-Switzerland 2003
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Steptoe & Johnson
- Toggle 92 DOT American Airlines, Inc.; Executive Airlines, Inc.; Northwest Airlines, Inc. and Trans World Airlines, Inc. - Amended Complaint and Request for Relief 2006
- Toggle 85 DOT American Airlines, Inc. and British Airways PLC - Approval of/and Antitrust Immunity For Alliance Agreement 1997
- Toggle 77 DOT American Airlines, Inc. and British Airways PLC - Antitrust Immunity Agreement 2001
- Toggle 65 DOT American Airlines, Inc. and British Airways Plc - Exemption/Blanket Codesharing/Statements of Authorizations 2001
- Toggle 58 DOT 96-9-15 Order Instituting Proceeding - American Airlines, Inc., et al., and the TACA Group, Code-Share Arrangement 1996
- Toggle 58 DOT Notice - Hong Kong Fifth Freedom All-Cargo Proceeding 1995
- Toggle 58 DOT U.S. DOT/OST - Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Computer Reservation System (CRS) Regulations (Part 255) 1997
- Toggle 57 DOT U.S. - U.K. Alliance Case 2001
- Toggle 54 DOT 96-7-19 Instituting Order - U.S.-Toronto Third Year Service Proceeding 1996
- Toggle 49 DOT Association of Retail Travel Agents - Emergency Petition for Rulemaking 1998
Advisory Committees6 people on 8 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Steptoe & Johnson" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of State 3 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Commerce 1 person on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Defense 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Federal Trade Commission 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Treasury 1 person on 1 committee