Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), commonly shortened to Planned Parenthood, is the U.S. affiliate of the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF) and one of its larger members. PPFA provides reproductive health and maternal and child health services. Planned Parenthood Action Fund, Inc. (PPAF) is a related organization that lobbies the U.S. political system for pro-choice legislation, comprehensive sex education, and access to affordable health care.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's June 30, 2011 filing. independent expenditures updated daily.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Independent Expendituresmoney spent supporting or opposing a candidate
Candidate Support/Oppose Total Spent Mitt RomneyOppose $8,373,536 Barack ObamaSupport $1,804,211 Denny RehbergOppose $331,928 Linda McMahonOppose $162,908 Todd AkinOppose $133,205 Sherrod BrownSupport $130,151 Tammy BaldwinSupport $122,972 Tommy G. ThompsonOppose $103,700 George AllenOppose $94,271 Todd AkinOppose $77,058
Top Contributorstop donors giving over $100,000
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Planned Parenthood
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Planned Parenthood $1,801,606 Planned Parenthood Action Fund $378,301
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Family, Abortion & Adoption,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Foreign Relations,
- Civil Rights & Civil Liberties,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1473 Department of Defense and Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2011 H.R.2583 Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Year 2012 S.1601 Department of State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, 2012 S.1426 Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 2012 and 2013 H.R.3 No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act H.R.2112 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2012 H.R.358 Protect Life Act H.R.1216 To amend the Public Health Service Act to convert funding for graduate medical education in qualified teaching health centers from direct appropriations to an authorization of appropriations. H.R.1319 Global Sexual and Reproductive Health Act of 2011 H.R.1 Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2011
RegulationsMentioned in 41 dockets; Submitted to 9 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Planned Parenthood" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Planned Parenthood
- Toggle 17 HHS Establishment of Exchanges and Qualified Health Plans 2011
- Toggle 13 HHS Group Health Plans and Health Insurance Issuers Relating to Coverage of Preventive Services under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 2011
- Toggle 1 CDC Recommendations for the Identification of Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Chronic Infection 2012
- Toggle 1 HHS Health Information Technology; Implementation Specifications, and Certification Criteria: Electronic Health Record Technology, 2014 Edition 2012
- Toggle 1 HHS Health Information Technology; HIT Policy Committee: Request for Comment Regarding the Stage 3 Definition of Meaningful Use of Electronic Health Records (EHRs) 2012
- Toggle 1 HHS Nationwide Health Information Network: Conditions for Trusted Exchange 2012
- Toggle 1 HHS Metadata Standards to Support Nationwide Electronic Health Information Exchange 2011
- Toggle 1 HRSA Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program Solicitation of Comments 2012
- Toggle 1 HHS Proposed Data Collection Standards for Race, Ethnicity, Primary Language, Sex, and Disability Status Required by Section 4302 of the Affordable Care Act 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Planned Parenthood
- Toggle 233 HHS Group Health Plans and Health Insurance Issuers Relating to Coverage of Preventive Services under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 2011
- Toggle 232 CMS Certain Preventive Services Under the Affordable Care Act 2012
- Toggle 52 HHS Establishment of Exchanges and Qualified Health Plans 2011
- Toggle 13 CMS Methods for Assuring Access to Covered Medicaid Services (CMS-2328-P) 2011
- Toggle 5 CMS Medicaid Program; Eligibility Changes under the Affordable Care Act of 2010 (CMS-2349-P) 2011
- Toggle 5 CMS Exchanges Part II--Standards Related to Essential Health Benefits; Health Insurance Issuer and Exchange Responsibilities with Respect to Actuarial Value, Quality, and Accreditation CMS-9980-P 2012
- Toggle 5 OPM Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: Establishment of Multi-State Plan Program for Affordable Insurance Exchanges 2012
- Toggle 3 CMS Application, Review, and Reporting Process for Waivers for State Innovation 2011
- Toggle 2 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 2 HHS Health Information Technology; Implementation Specifications, and Certification Criteria: Electronic Health Record Technology, 2014 Edition 2012