McDermott, Will & Emery
McDermott Will & Emery LLP, also known by its initials, MWE, was founded in 1934 and is an international law firm headquartered in Chicago. It is one of the top 10 largest law firms in the United States and one of the 20 largest in the world. McDermott is a diversified business practice representing a wide range of commercial, industrial and financial enterprises, both publicly and privately held. The firm also houses the largest tax practice in the United States.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying Carried Out by McDermott, Will & Emery
Names of Lobbyists
Client Amount Diabetes Access to Care Coalition $1,040,000 Rural Referral/Sole Community Hosp Coal $895,000 Section 508 Coalition $660,000 Medicare Dependent Rural Hospital Cltn $490,000 Hospital Sisters Health System $420,000 Brewers Assn $415,000 American Coalition for Taxpayer Rights $375,000 Genomic Health Inc $360,000 Coalition for Rational & Fair Taxation $310,000 Coalition for 21st Century Medicine $300,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Health Issues,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Medical Research & Clin Labs,
- Government Issues,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1249 America Invents Act S.23 Patent Reform Act of 2011 S.3240 Farm bill H.R.1161 Community Alcohol Regulatory Effectiveness Act of 2011 H.R.1236 Small BREW Act S.534 Brewer's Employment and Excise Relief Act of 2011 H.R.872 Reducing Regulatory Burdens Act of 2011 H.J.RES.48 Additional Continuing Appropriations Amendments, 2011 S.2375 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2013 S.398 Implementation of National Consensus Appliance Agreements Act of 2011
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Client Summary April 22, 2013 New Venture Fund Conservation, public lands and related issues. View registration March 12, 2013 Isis Pharmaceuticals Health care and patent legislation to ensure the protection of life-saving medical research and development. View registration Feb. 21, 2013 Amgen Inc International tax reform. View registration Feb. 19, 2013 Avail-TVN Congressional oversight of competition in video on demand and related issues. View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 10 dockets; Submitted to 2 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "McDermott, Will & Emery" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for McDermott, Will & Emery
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for McDermott, Will & Emery
- Toggle 2 USTR Request for Comments on Japan’s Expression of Interest in the Proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership Trade Agreement 2011
- Toggle 1 CFTC Orders, Proposed Interpretive: Antidisruptive Practices Authority 2011
- Toggle 1 CMS Medicaid Disproportionate Share Hospital Payments--Uninsured Definition 2012
- Toggle 1 CMS Medicaid Program; Eligibility Changes under the Affordable Care Act of 2010 (CMS-2349-P) 2011
- Toggle 1 CMS Medicare Program; Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule and Other Revisions to Part B for CY 2012 2011
- Toggle 1 SEC Family Offices 2011
- Toggle 1 HRSA Exclusion of Orphan Drugs for Certain Covered Entities under 340B Program 2011
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for Comments on Negotiating Objectives With Respect to Mexico’s Participation in the Proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership Trade Agreement 2012
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for Comments on Negotiating Objectives With Respect to Canada’s Participation in the Proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership Trade Agreement 2012
- Toggle 1 FDA Patent Term Extension Application for POTIGA™ (ezogabine) U.S. Patent No. 6,538,151 2012
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "McDermott, Will & Emery" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Agriculture 1 person on 1 committee