Biotechnology Industry Organization
Biotechnology Industry Organization is an industry lobby group founded 1993 in Washington, D.C. The current President is James C. Greenwood, while Carl B. Feldbaum was the president until he retired in 2004.
Campaign Finance$2,780,201 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Biotechnology Industry Organization
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Biotechnology Industry Organization $84,995,796
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Medical Research & Clin Labs,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.3590 Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 S.3686 Department of Labor Appropriations Act, 2011 H.R.4899 Disaster Relief and Summer Jobs Act of 2010 S.3606 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2011 S.3240 Farm bill H.R.2112 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2012 H.R.4213 Tax Extenders Act of 2009 S.1250 Algae-based Renewable Fuel Promotion Act of 2009 H.R.5142 Grow a Renewable Energy Economy Now--Jumpstart Other Biofuels Act of 2010 H.R.1548 Pathway for Biosimilars Act
RegulationsMentioned in 415 dockets; Submitted to 170 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Biotechnology Industry Organization" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Biotechnology Industry Organization
- Toggle 8 FDA FDA Transparency Task Force; Public Meeting 2009
- Toggle 3 FDA Prescription Drug User Fee Act; Public Meeting 2010
- Toggle 3 APHIS Environmental Assessment; Determination of Nonregulated Status of Sugar Beet Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2010
- Toggle 3 APHIS Importation, Interstate Movement, and Release into the Environment of Certain Genetically Engineered Organisms 2008
- Toggle 2 USTR 2012 Special 301 Review 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2009; Options for a User Fee Program for Biosimilar and Interchangeable Biological Product Applications for Fiscal Years 2013 through 2017; Request for Comments 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Format and Content of Proposed Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies (REMS), REMS Assessments, and Proposed REMS Modifications; Availability 2009
- Toggle 2 USTR 2010 Special 301 2010
- Toggle 2 APHIS Draft EA and Petition for Syngenta's Alpha-Amylase Corn 2007
- Toggle 2 FDA Content and Format of Labeling for Human Prescription Drug and Biological Products; Requirements for Pregnancy and Lactation Labeling 2006
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Biotechnology Industry Organization
- Toggle 24 EPA Regulation of Fuels and Fuel Additives: Renewable Fuel Program 2005
- Toggle 23 APHIS Regulatory Status of Alfalfa Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2007
- Toggle 19 APHIS Importation, Interstate Movement, and Release into the Environment of Certain Genetically Engineered Organisms 2008
- Toggle 18 APHIS Environmental Assessment; Determination of Nonregulated Status of Sugar Beet Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2010
- Toggle 10 CMS Medicaid Program; Covered Outpatient Drugs (CMS-2345-P) 2012
- Toggle 9 FDA FDA Transparency Task Force; Public Meeting 2009
- Toggle 9 FDA Guidance for Industry: Recommendations for the Early Food Safety Evaluation of New Non-Pesticidal Proteins Produced by Bioengineered Plants Intended for Food Use 2004
- Toggle 8 FDA Prescription Drug Importation Study 2004
- Toggle 8 EPA TSCA Inventory Nomenclature for Enzymes and Proteins 2003
- Toggle 7 EPA RFS Annual Rulemaking 2010
Advisory Committees8 people on 8 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Biotechnology Industry Organization" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Commerce 4 people on 4 committees
- Toggle Department of Defense 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 2 people on 2 committees