Barnes & Thornburg
Barnes & Thornburg LLP is a large U.S. law firm and lobbying group. It is currently the largest law firm in the state of Indiana, and 97th largest in the United States. Their main headquarters is at the Barnes and Thornburg Building in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Campaign Finance$3,267,166 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Bundled ContributionsMoney raised by the firm from multiple donors on behalf of the recipient. The firm's own contributions are not included.
Recipient Lobbyist Amount Romney Victory Inc Robert T. Grand $382,850 Mitt Romney Robert T. Grand $140,200 National Republican Senatorial Cmte Robert T. Grand $61,800
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying Carried Out by Barnes & Thornburg
Names of Lobbyists
Client Amount Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians $2,580,000 Dry Prairie Rural Water $1,000,000 Ameren Services $980,000 Town of Fishers, IN $750,000 Education Management Corp $740,000 Health & Hospital Corp of Marion County $640,000 Resource Capital $640,000 Town of Munster, IN $630,000 Poker Players Alliance $530,000 City of Columbus, IN $530,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Roads & Highways,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Health Issues,
- Clean Air & Water,
- Government Issues,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Urban Development,
- Economics & Econ Development
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.3288 Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2010 H.R.5850 Department of Transportation Appropriations Act, 2011 S.3644 Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2011 S.493 SBIR/STTR Reauthorization Act of 2011 H.R.2267 Internet Gambling Regulation, Consumer Protection, and Enforcement Act H.R.2230 Internet Gambling Regulation and Tax Enforcement Act of 2011 S.3686 Department of Labor Appropriations Act, 2011 H.R.2266 Reasonable Prudence in Regulation Act H.R.1332 Safe FEAST Act of 2009 S.1256 Home and Community Balanced Incentives Act of 2009
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Client Summary Oct. 9, 2013 Continental Rail Gateway Project Lobby in support of funding for new high capacity rail tunnel between Detroit and Windsor. View registration Oct. 9, 2013 Breckenridge Insurance Group Legislative and regulatory policies affecting the insurance and financial service industries View registration Oct. 9, 2013 American College of Foot & Ankle Surgeon Rules regarding medical professionals, specifically Physician Payment Sunshine Act View registration Oct. 9, 2013 Envisionware, Inc. Help secure Visa for consultant View registration Oct. 9, 2013 Yatish Air, LLC National Transportation Safety Board investigation View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 58 dockets; Submitted to 6 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Barnes & Thornburg" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Barnes & Thornburg
- Toggle 2 FRA Union Pacific Railroad Company - Waiver Petition 2004
- Toggle 1 USTR 2009 Annual Competitive Need Limitations (CNL) Waiver Review 2009
- Toggle 1 DOE Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing Incentive Program 2008
- Toggle 1 FRA Environmental Review of Dakota Minnesota & Eastern Railroad Powder River Expansion Project Loan Application 2006
- Toggle 1 FDA Patent Term Extension Application for NATROBA™ (spinosad) U.S. Patent No. 6,063,771 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Patent Term Extension Application for NATROBA™ (spinosad) U.S. Patent No. 6,342,482 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Barnes & Thornburg
- Toggle 9 FHWA FHWA Region 5 - Motion for Extension - In the Matter of Carry Companies of Illinois, Inc. 1997
- Toggle 6 EPA Effluent Limitations Guidelines and New Source Performance Standards for the Meat and Poultry Products Point Source Category. 2002
- Toggle 5 FRA Union Pacific Railroad Company - Waiver Petition 2004
- Toggle 3 EPA Guidelines Establishing Test Procedures for the Analysis of Pollutants; Procedures for Detection and Quantitation. 2003
- Toggle 3 EPA Withdrawal of Revisions to the Water Quality Planning and Management Regulation and Revisions to the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Program in Support of Revisions to the Water Quality Planning and Management Regulation. 2002
- Toggle 3 EPA Water Quality Standards for the State of Florida's Lakes and Flowing Waters 2009
- Toggle 2 EPA Final National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) General Permit for Storm Water Discharges from Construction Activities. 2002
- Toggle 2 EPA Notice of Availability of Draft Aquatic Life Criteria Document for Selenium, and Request for Scientific Information, Data, and Views Pertaining to the Criteria 2004
- Toggle 2 EPA Effluent Guidelines and Standards for the Airport Deicing Category 2004
- Toggle 2 EPA Clean Water Act Section 106 Permit Fee Incentive 2006
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Barnes & Thornburg" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 1 person on 1 committee