- Latest Office Held:
- US House, CA
- Latest Office Sought:
- US House, CA
Samuel S. "Sam" Farr (born July 4, 1941) is the U.S. Representative for California's 17th congressional district, serving since 1993. He is a member of the Democratic Party. He was elected to Congress in a 1993 special election when longtime Democratic Rep. Leon Panetta resigned to become Director of the Office of Management and Budget.
Campaign Finance$5,943,822 Received
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Top IndustriesOpenSecrets.org and FollowTheMoney.org classify contribution data into about 100 industries.
In State vs. Out of Statecontributions from individuals, in dollars
Individuals vs. PACsin dollars
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on both committee earmark disclosures and on analysis of appropriations bill text. Table shows top 10 earmarks, ordered by dollar amount in the final version of the bill. Earmarks from the president's budget proposal are not included.
For more information, see our Earmark Methodology page.
In State vs. Out of Statein dollars
Fiscal Year Amount Description 2010 $10,240,000 Marine Meteorology Center 2009 $9,990,000 Education Facility 2008 $9,780,000 DOD Global Weather Operations Center 2010 $5,600,000 Naval Postgraduate School: Center for Defense Technology and Education for the Military Services (CDTEMS) 2009 $5,600,000 Center for Defense Technology and Education for the Military Services 2008 $4,000,000 Naval Postgraduate School: Professional Development Education -- Center for Defense Technology and Education for the Military Services 2010 $3,654,000 U.S. Agricultural Research Station, Salinas, CA 2009 $2,582,000 Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural AreasRequested by
- Arlen Specter (D-PA),
- Mark Pryor (D-AR),
- Jon Tester (D-MT),
- Max Baucus (D-MT),
- Barbara Boxer (D-CA),
- James T. Walsh (R-NY),
- Maurice Hinchey (D-NY),
- Herb Kohl (D-WI),
- Tom Harkin (D-IA),
- Tim Johnson (D-SD),
- Denny Rehberg (R-MT),
- Ben Nelson (D-NE),
- Sam Farr (D-CA),
- Blanche Lincoln (D-AR),
- Chris Carney (D-PA),
- and Boozman (R-AR)
2010 $2,500,000 NOAA Office of Education, Monterey, CA: California Bay Watershed Education and Training Program (B-WET) 2009 $2,500,000 NOAA Office of Education: NOAA Office of Education California Bay Watershed Education and Training Program (B-WET)