John W. Warner
- Latest Office Sought:
- US Senate, VA
- Lobbying Activity
- See also: Lobbyist profile for John W. Warner
John William Warner KBE (born February 18, 1927) is an American Republican politician who served as Secretary of the Navy from 1972 to 1974 and as a five-term United States Senator from Virginia from January 2, 1979, to January 3, 2009. He did not seek reelection in 2008 and has rejoined the law firm of Hogan & Hartson, where he worked before joining the Department of Defense. Warner was once married to actress Elizabeth Taylor. He is a veteran of World War II, and one of only five serving in the Senate at the time of his retirement.
Campaign Finance$8,579,107 Received
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Top IndustriesOpenSecrets.org and FollowTheMoney.org classify contribution data into about 100 industries.
In State vs. Out of Statecontributions from individuals, in dollars
Individuals vs. PACsin dollars
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on both committee earmark disclosures and on analysis of appropriations bill text. Table shows top 10 earmarks, ordered by dollar amount in the final version of the bill. Earmarks from the president's budget proposal are not included.
For more information, see our Earmark Methodology page.
In State vs. Out of Statein dollars
Fiscal Year Amount Description 2009 $29,100,000 Dulles Corridor Metrorail, VA 2009 $10,000,000 States of Maryland and Virginia: States of Maryland and Virginia to provide economic assistance, equally divided between States of Maryland and Virginia, to watermen and communities impacted by the Secretary of Commerce's blue crab disaster declaration of September 22, 2008 2009 $9,808,000 Norfolk Harbor, VA 2009 $8,000,000 Levisa and Tug Forks and Upper Cumberland River, WV, VA & KY (VA) 2009 $5,980,000 OCS Headquarters Facility 2009 $4,600,000 States of Maryland and Virginia: States of Maryland and Virginia to restore oyster habitat and plant disease free oysters in scientifically selected sites throughout the Chesapeake BayRequested by
- Wayne T. Gilchrest (R-MD),
- Jim Moran (D-VA),
- John Sarbanes (D-MD),
- John W. Warner (R-VA),
- Rob Wittman (R-VA),
- Steny H. Hoyer (D-MD),
- Dutch Ruppersberger (D-MD),
- Tom Davis (R-VA),
- Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC),
- Chris Van Hollen (D-MD),
- Ben Cardin (D-MD),
- Roscoe G. Bartlett (R-MD),
- James Webb (D-VA),
- Barbara A. Mikulski (D-MD),
- and Robert C. Scott (D-VA)
2009 $3,200,000 Center for Injury Biomechanics 2009 $3,000,000 AN/WSN-7 Fiber Optic Gyro System Upgrades 2009 $2,854,500 The Center for Advanced Separation Technology (KY) 2009 $2,800,000 Automated Readiness Measurement System (ARMS)