- Office Held:
- US Senate, SD
- Office Sought:
- US Senate, SD
- Lobbying Activity
- See also: Lobbyist profile for John Thune
John Randolph Thune (born January 7, 1961) is the junior U.S. Senator from South Dakota, serving since 2005. A member of the Republican Party, he previously served as the U.S. Representative for South Dakota's At-large congressional district from 1997 to 2003.
Campaign Finance$6,505,604 Received
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through candidate's December 31, 2010 filing. independent expenditures updated daily.
Summaryoverview of how much the candidate raised and spent, and who contributed it
- Total Raised:
- $6,505,604 #33 of 64 Senate candidates
- Total Spent:
- $3,303,842 #55 of 64 Senate candidates
- Cash on Hand:
- $7,136,506 #6 of 64 Senate candidates
Contributions Over Timereflects only contributions over $200, as smaller contributions are not individually reported. For some candidates a significant portion of their fundraising may not be captured by this chart.
Independent Expendituresoutside groups that spent money supporting or opposing the candidate
Committee Name Support/Oppose Total Spending Right to LifeSupport $598
Donor Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
Top IndustriesOpenSecrets.org and FollowTheMoney.org classify contribution data into about 100 industries.
In State vs. Out of Statecontributions from individuals, in dollars
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Recent and upcoming fundraisersFull invitations can be viewed at Party Time
Date Event July 22, 2013
- Eagles Concert at Verizon Center
July 12, 2013
- 3rd Annual Greenbrier Family and Friends Weekend at Greenbrier
June 12, 2013
- Dinner at Del Frisco's
- Hosted by:
- Verizon PAC, US Telecom, CTIA PAC - The Wireless Association, Microsoft PAC, AT&T PAC
May 14, 2013
- Dinner at Carmine's
May 8, 2013
- Spring Leadership Reception and Dinner at Hill Country BBQ
Figures are based on both committee earmark disclosures and on analysis of appropriations bill text. Table shows top 10 earmarks, ordered by dollar amount in the final version of the bill. Earmarks from the president's budget proposal are not included.
For more information, see our Earmark Methodology page.
In State vs. Out of Statein dollars