Xcel Energy, Inc. (NYSE: XEL) is a public utility company based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, serving customers in Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas, and Wisconsin. Primary services are electricity and natural gas. Subsidiaries include Northern States Power Company, Public Service Company of Colorado, and Southwestern Public Service Co.[dated info]
Campaign Finance$4,066,630 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Xcel Energy
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Xcel Energy $24,590,000 Northern States Power $640,000 NRG Energy $30,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Clean Air & Water,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Homeland Security,
- Hazardous & Solid Waste
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2454 American Clean Energy And Security Act of 2009 H.R.6 Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 S.1462 American Clean Energy Leadership Act of 2009 S.2191 America's Climate Security Act of 2007 H.R.3221 Federal Housing Finance Reform Act of 2008 S.1733 Green Taxis Act of 2009 H.R.910 Energy Tax Prevention Act of 2011 H.R.2776 Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation Tax Act of 2007 H.R.4149 (Unknown) H.R.1023 No More Excuses Energy Act of 2011
RegulationsMentioned in 1008 dockets; Submitted to 13 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Xcel Energy" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Xcel Energy
- Toggle 5 OMB Technical Support Document: Technical Update of the Social Cost of Carbon for Regulatory Impact Analysis Under Executive Order 12866 2013
- Toggle 2 FWS Lesser Prairie-Chicken, Proposed Threatened Status 2012
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Prevention Thru People - Control Room Management 2007
- Toggle 1 FWS Endangered Status for Gunnison Sage-grouse 2012
- Toggle 1 DOE Implementing the National Broadband Plan 2010
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Pipeline Safety: Pipeline Integrity Management of Natural Gas In High Consequence Areas 2000
- Toggle 1 FAA Safe Efficient Use and Preservation of the Navigable Air Space 2006
- Toggle 1 FWS General Regulations for Areas Administered by the National Park Service and the Fish and Wildlife Service 2008
- Toggle 1 IRS Request for Information Regarding Sections 101 Through 104 of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 2008
- Toggle 1 NRC Consideration on Environmental Impacts on Temporary Storage of Spent Fuel After Cessation of Reactor Operation 2012
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Xcel Energy
- Toggle 56 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Utility Air Toxics; Clean Air Mercury Rule (CAMR) 2002
- Toggle 49 EPA Standards of Performance for Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Existing Sources: Electric Utility Generating Units 2013
- Toggle 49 EPA Rule to Reduce Interstate Transport of Fine Particulate Matter and Ozone ;Clean Air Interstate Rule, (CAIR) 2003
- Toggle 45 EPA Clean Air Transport Rule 2009
- Toggle 39 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Coal- and Oil-fired Electric Utility Steam Generating Units 2009
- Toggle 35 EPA Rulemaking for the Steam Electric Power Generating Effluent Limitations Guidelines 2009
- Toggle 25 EPA Underground Injection Control (UIC) Program: Federal Requirements for Class VI Injection Wells for the Geologic Sequestration of Carbon Dioxide - Proposed Rule 2008
- Toggle 25 EPA HAZARDOUS AND SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM; IDENTIFICATION AND LISTING OF SPECIAL WASTES; DISPOSAL OF COAL COMBUSTION RESIDUALS FROM ELECTRIC UTILITIES 2009
- Toggle 22 EPA Criteria and Standards for Cooling Water Intake Structures 2008
- Toggle 22 EPA North Dakota Regional Haze State Implementation Plan 2010
Federal Spending6 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Xcel Energy||2004||Energy, Department Of||$2,632,000|
|Xcel Energy Inc||2000||Veterans Affairs, Department Of||$1,833,000|
|Xcel Energy||2003||Energy, Department Of||$1,221,138|
|Xcel Energy||2004||Energy, Department Of||$1,218,000|
|Xcel Energy Inc||2001||Veterans Affairs, Department Of||$1,179,000|
|Xcel Energy||2003||Energy, Department Of||$1,050,000|
EPA Violations2 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Poudre River Site||XCel Energy, Inc.||2006||Fort Collins, Co||$1,500,000|
|Poudre River Site/Xcel Energy||Xcel Energy (+2 others)||2004||Fort Collins, Co||$8,500,000|
Advisory Committees7 people on 6 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Xcel Energy" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Energy 5 people on 4 committees
- Toggle Surface Transportation Board 2 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Interior 1 person on 1 committee