Westwood One is an American radio network. It is based in New York City, and it was previously managed by CBS Radio, the radio arm of CBS Corporation, and Viacom (1971-2005). The company is now owned by the private-equity firm The Gores Group and describes itself as "platform agnostic" but still focuses mostly on radio as well as online audio products. Due to purchases, mergers and other forms of consolidation in the 1980s and 1990s, at one time or another, it has had ownership stakes in or syndication rights to some of the most famous brands in network radio, including CBS, ABC, NBC, Mutual, CNN, Fox and Unistar. The company is one of the largest producers and distributors of radio programming in the United States. It broadcasts entertainment, news, weather, sports, talk, and traffic programming to about 7,700 radio stations across the United States. The company is the U.S.'s top provider of local traffic reports through its subsidiaries, Metro Networks, Shadow Broadcast Services, SmartRoute Systems, and Sigalert.com . Westwood One also offers weather services; originally using Accuweather, Westwood switched to The Weather Channel in 2009.
Campaign Finance$1,898,186 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Westwood One
Names of Lobbyists
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Radio & TV Broadcasting,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
RegulationsMentioned in 7 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Westwood One" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Westwood One
- Toggle 3 FHWA Real-Time System Management Information Program 2006
- Toggle 1 FTC Granting of Request for Early Termination of the Waiting Period Under the Premerger Notification Rules 2008
- Toggle 1 FAA In the Matter of Helicopters, Inc. - Complaint - CP02EA0020 2002
- Toggle 1 FTC Granting of Request for Early Termination of the Waiting Period Under The Premerger Notification Rules 2009
- Toggle 1 FAA Exemption/Rulemaking - Stan Fetter 2001
- Toggle 1 NCD Meetings; Sunshine Act 2010
- Toggle 1 ED Gainful Employment--Student Assistance General Provisions--34 CFR Part 668 2010