The Western Union Company (NYSE: WU) is a financial services and communications company based in the United States. Its North American headquarters is in Englewood, Colorado, United States, and its international marketing and commercial services headquarters are in Montvale, New Jersey. Until it discontinued the service, Western Union was the best known US company in the business of exchanging telegrams.
Campaign Finance$404,109 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Western Union
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Western Union $3,336,300
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Homeland Security,
- Law Enforcement & Crime,
- Foreign Relations,
- Consumer Product Safety
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.4173 Wall Street Transparency and Accountability Act of 2010 H.R.3126 Consumer Financial Protection Agency Act of 2009 H.R.4331 Money Services Business Compliance Facilitation Act of 2009 S.3217 Private Fund Investment Advisers Registration Act of 2010 H.R.4049 Money Service Business Act of 2008 H.R.1214 Payday Loan Reform Act of 2009 H.R.1185 Federal Deposit Insurance Reform Act of 2005 H.R.3505 Financial Services Regulatory Relief Act of 2005 H.R.3997 Financial Data Protection Act of 2005 H.R.4127 Data Accountability and Trust Act (DATA)
RegulationsMentioned in 122 dockets; Submitted to 5 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Western Union" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Western Union
- Toggle 1 OSHA INDOOR AIR QUALITY - Part 3 of 6 2006
- Toggle 1 CFPB Electronic Fund Transfers 2011
- Toggle 1 FINCEN Amendment to the Bank Secrecy Act Regulations – Definitions and Other Regulations Relating to Prepaid Access 2009
- Toggle 1 OSHA CONFINED SPACES 2006
- Toggle 1 IRS Information Reporting by Foreign Financial Institutions and Withholding on Certain Payments, etc. 2012
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Western Union
- Toggle 10 FINCEN Amendment to the Bank Secrecy Act Regulations – Definitions and Other Regulations Relating to Prepaid Access 2009
- Toggle 8 CFPB Electronic Fund Transfers 2011
- Toggle 7 EPA Prevention of Significant Deterioration/Title V Greenhouse Gas Tailoring Rule 2009
- Toggle 6 CFPB Electronic Funds Transfer Act – Prepaid Cards 2012
- Toggle 5 CFPB Electronic Fund Transfers (Regulation E) 2012
- Toggle 5 OSHA COTTON DUST 2006
- Toggle 4 CFPB Defining Larger Participants in Certain Consumer Financial Products and Services Markets 2011
- Toggle 3 DOS National Security Information Regulations Unknown
- Toggle 3 FAA Asheville Jet, Inc., vs. Asheville Regional Airport 2008
- Toggle 3 PHMSA Receipt of Application for Inconsistency Ruling 2003
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Western Union" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle National Endowment for the Arts 1 person on 1 committee