Waste Management Inc
Waste Management, Inc. (NYSE: WM) is a waste management, comprehensive waste, and environmental services company in North America. The company is headquartered in Suite 4000 at the First City Tower in Downtown Houston, Texas, in the United States.
Campaign Finance$14,183,201 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Waste Management Inc
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Waste Management Inc $8,610,000 Wheelabrator Technologies $680,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Environment & Superfund,
- Hazardous & Solid Waste,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Fuel, Gas & Oil,
- Trucking & Shipping,
- Disaster & Emergency Planning
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2454 American Clean Energy And Security Act of 2009 H.R.2273 Coal Residuals Reuse and Management Act H.R.1380 New Alternative Transportation to Give Americans Solutions Act of 2011 H.R.5581 (Unknown) H.R.1391 RCCRA Act of 2011 S.949 21st Century Energy Technology Deployment Act S.1392 EPA Regulatory Relief Act of 2011 H.R.6 Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 S.306 Biogas Production Incentive Act of 2009 H.R.1158 Biogas Production Incentive Act of 2009
RegulationsMentioned in 5999 dockets; Submitted to 30 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Waste Management Inc" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Waste Management Inc
- Toggle 4 DEA Procedures for the Surrender of Unwanted Controlled Substances by Ultimate Users; Notice of Meeting 2010
- Toggle 3 DEA Disposal of Controlled Substances by Persons Not Registered With the Drug Enforcement Administration 2009
- Toggle 3 DEA Disposal of Controlled Substances 2012
- Toggle 2 ESA Request for Information on the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 2006
- Toggle 2 PHMSA Chemical Waste Transport Institute - Application for Preemption Determination 2003
- Toggle 2 PHMSA Infectious Substances 1993
- Toggle 2 NHTSA Tire Aging 2005
- Toggle 1 DOT 2005/2006 U.S.-China Air Services Case and Designations 2004
- Toggle 1 USCG Cabrillo Port Liquefied Natural Gas Deepwater Port License Application 2004
- Toggle 1 NRC Notice of Public Workshop on a Potential Rulemaking for Safe Disposal of Unique Waste Streams Including Significant Quantities of Depleted Uranium 2009
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Waste Management Inc
- Toggle 11598 EPA HAZARDOUS AND SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM; IDENTIFICATION AND LISTING OF SPECIAL WASTES; DISPOSAL OF COAL COMBUSTION RESIDUALS FROM ELECTRIC UTILITIES 2009
- Toggle 1403 EPA HAZARDOUS WASTE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM; IDENTIFICATION AND LISTING OF HAZARDOUS WASTE; USED OIL; SUPPLEMENTAL NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULEMAKING, (EPA/OSWFR91023) 1991
- Toggle 1097 EPA HAZARDOUS WASTE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM; IDENTIFICATION AND LISTING OF HAZARDOUS WASTE; PROPOSED RULE, TENTATIVE RESPONSE TO CHEMICAL MANUFACTURERS ASSOCIATION PETITION, AND REQUEST FOR COMMENTS (HAZARDOUS WASTE IDENTIFICATION RULE - HWIR, CONCENTRATION-BASED E 1992
- Toggle 826 EPA National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Permit Regulation and Effluent Limitations Guidelines and Standards for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs). 2002
- Toggle 573 EPA HAZARDOUS WASTE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM; BURNING OF WASTE FUEL AND USED OIL FUEL IN BOILERS AND INDUSTRIAL FURNACES (FINAL) -- RECYCLED USED OIL STANDARDS (PROPOSED) -- IDENTIFICATION AND LISTING OF HAZARDOUS WASTE; USED OIL (PROPOSED) 1985
- Toggle 513 EPA HAZARDOUS WASTE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM; IDENTIFICATION AND LISTING OF HAZARDOUS WASTE; HAZARDOUS WASTE IDENTIFICATION RULE (HWIR); PROPOSED RULE, (EPA/530-Z-95-015) 1995
- Toggle 456 EPA Hazardous Waste Management System; Revisions to the Definition of Solid Waste - Phase I 2002
- Toggle 451 EPA HAZARDOUS WASTE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM; MODIFICATION OF THE HAZARDOUS WASTE PROGRAM; MERCURY-CONTAINING LAMPS; PROPOSED RULE, (EPA/530-Z-94-010) 1994
- Toggle 440 EPA STANDARDS FOR THE MANAGEMENT OF SPECIFIC HAZARDOUS WASTES AND SPECIFIC TYPES OF HAZARDOUS WASTE MANAGEMENT FACILITIES; REQUIREMENTS FOR AUTHORIZATION OF STATE HAZARDOUS WASTE PROGRAMS; AND DESIGNATION, REPORTABLE QUANTITIES, AND NOTIFICATION, (EPA/OSWFR89 1988
- Toggle 411 DOE This docket contains Federal Register Notices from the DOE FDMS Sandbox. 2009
EPA Violations11 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Exxon Mobil Corporation (Beede Waste Oil Superfund Site)||Waste Management (+94 others)||2008||Plaistow, Nh||$30,607,481|
|Agere Systems, Et Al||Waste Management, Inc (+138 others)||2007||Elkton, Md||$11,300,000|
|Cooper Drum Superfund Site Uao For Rd/Ra||Waste Management, Inc. (+42 others)||2009||South Gate, Ca||$9,066,848|
|Carls Tire Retreading Site||Waste Management, Inc (+12 others)||2009||Acme, Mi||$3,587,841|
|Industrial Pollution Control (Ipc) (Cost Recovery Agmt)||Waste Management Summit/McComb (+236 others)||2003||Jackson, Ms||$3,440,369|
|Wauconda Sand & Gravel Unilateral Admin Order (Cercla)||Waste Management Of Illinois, Inc. (+12 others)||2004||Wauconda, Il||$3,000,000|
|Davis Refining Corporation||Waste Management Of Leon County, Inc. (+86 others)||2006||Tallahassee, Fl||$2,542,381|
|Florida Petroleum Reprocessors||Waste Management/Gas Recvy (+583 others)||2004||Fort Lauderdale, Fl||$2,316,314|
|Tri-County Landfill Co.||Waste Management Of Illinois, Inc. (+2 others)||2007||South Elgin, Il||$2,120,000|
|Davis Refining Site (Referral)||Waste Management (+221 others)||2007||Tallahassee, Fl||$1,704,680|
Advisory Committees16 people on 14 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Waste Management Inc" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 12 people on 10 committees
- Toggle Department of Homeland Security 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Commerce 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Small Business Administration 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Agriculture 1 person on 1 committee