Vinson & Elkins
Vinson & Elkins LLP (or V&E;) is an international law firm headquartered in the First City Tower in Downtown Houston, Texas. The firm has offices in 14 major energy, financial, and political centers worldwide, including Abu Dhabi, Austin, Beijing, Dallas, Dubai, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Moscow, New York City, Palo Alto, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Washington, D.C. The firm is currently led by managing partner Joe Dilg.
Campaign Finance$8,439,632 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying Carried Out by Vinson & Elkins
Names of Lobbyists
Client Amount XL Capital $2,110,000 Goldman Sachs $1,290,000 7-Eleven $960,000 Research In Motion $720,000 Scott & White Clinic $660,000 Portland General Electric $620,000 Business Use Insurance Cmte $520,000 Americans for Fair Taxation $520,000 Greater Houston Partnership $470,000 Univ of Texas/Houston Health Science Ctr $400,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Real Estate & Land Use
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1260 Patent Reform Act of 2009 S.515 Patent Reform Act of 2009 H.R.3200 America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 H.R.1249 America Invents Act H.R.1935 H.R.4213 Tax Extenders Act of 2009 S.23 Patent Reform Act of 2011 H.R.3424 H.R.2419 Farm Bill Extension Act of 2007 S.2191 America's Climate Security Act of 2007
RegulationsMentioned in 39 dockets; Submitted to 7 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Vinson & Elkins" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Vinson & Elkins
- Toggle 3 DOT Texas International-Continental Acquisition Case - Petition for an Order Setting Aside Labor Protective Provisions Arbitration Award 2006
- Toggle 1 DOT 2005/2006 U.S.-China Air Services Case and Designations 2004
- Toggle 1 FDA Patent Extension Application for EMSAM (selegiline transdermal system), U.S. Reissue No. 34,579 2007
- Toggle 1 DOT 2007, 2008, 2009 US-China Air Services and Combination Frequency Allocation Procedure 2007
- Toggle 1 AHRQ PSO NPRM 2008
- Toggle 1 NLRB Proposed Rules Governing Notification of Employee Rights Under the National Labor Relations Act 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Patent Extension Application for Flector Patch (diclofenac epolamine topical patch), U.S. Patent No. 5,607,690 2007
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Vinson & Elkins
- Toggle 42 CMS Changes to the Hospital Inpatient Prospective Payment Systems and FY 2007 Rates 2010
- Toggle 4 DOT Texas International-Continental Acquisition Case - Petition for an Order Setting Aside Labor Protective Provisions Arbitration Award 2006
- Toggle 4 CMS Inpatient Prospective Payment System: Implementation of the FY 2007 Occupational Mix Adjustment 2010
- Toggle 3 EPA TX044 Texas Revisions to 30 TAC Chapter 101, General Air Quality Rules, for Emissions Events, submitted to EPA January 23, 2006 (TX-215, G-80, GF3) 2006
- Toggle 3 FDA Patent Extension Application for Flector Patch (diclofenac epolamine topical patch), U.S. Patent No. 5,607,690 2007
- Toggle 2 EPA North Dakota Regional Haze State Implementation Plan 2010
- Toggle 2 DOT American Airlines, Inc., British Airways Plc, Finnair Oyj, Iberia Lineas Aereas de Expana, S.A. and Royal Jordanian Airlines - Approval of and Antirust Immunity for Alliance Agreements 2008
- Toggle 2 EPA TX005 Texas Chapter 116: Control of Air Pollution by Permits for New Construction or Modification 2004
- Toggle 2 EPA Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles 2010
- Toggle 1 Acquisitions of Control Exemptions: Charles Barenfanger, Jr.; Vandalia Railroad Co. 2013
Advisory Committees7 people on 5 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Vinson & Elkins" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of State 5 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Federal Communications Commission 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 1 person on 1 committee