Cellco Partnership, doing business as Verizon Wireless, is the wireless phone provider that owns and operates the second largest mobile telecommunications network in the United States, based on a total of 94.1 million U.S. subscribers, as of Q4 2010 behind the largest carrier AT&T; Mobility with, as of, Q4 2010 had 95.5 million total subscribers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, New Jersey, the company is a joint venture of U.S. telecommunications firm Verizon Communications and British multinational mobile network operator Vodafone, with 55 and 45 percent ownership respectively. On January 9, 2009, Verizon Wireless acquired Alltel Wireless in a deal valued at $28.1 billion. The acquisition expanded Verizon's wireless network.
Campaign Finance$569,122 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Verizon Wireless
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Verizon Wireless $4,560,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Radio & TV Broadcasting,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Homeland Security,
- Health Issues,
- Natural Resources
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.144 Modernize Our Bookkeeping In the Law for Employee's Cell Phone Act of 2009 H.R.1521 Cell Tax Fairness Act of 2009 H.R.690 Modernize Our Bookkeeping In the Law for Employee's Cell Phone Act of 2009 H.R.1 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 H.R.3458 Internet Freedom Preservation Act of 2009 S.1192 Mobile Wireless Tax Fairness Act of 2009 S.649 Radio Spectrum Inventory Act H.R.1105 Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2009 S.251 Safe Prisons Communications Act of 2009 S.328 DTV Delay Act
RegulationsMentioned in 48 dockets; Submitted to 3 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Verizon Wireless" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Verizon Wireless
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Verizon Wireless
- Toggle 53 HHS Rescission of the Regulation entitled "Ensuring That Department of Health and Human Services Funds Do Not Support Coercive or Discriminatory Policies or Practices in Violation of Federal Law"; Proposal 2009
- Toggle 12 DOE Implementing the National Broadband Plan 2010
- Toggle 7 EPA Lead Fishing Sinkers and Ammunition Components 2010
- Toggle 3 EEOC ADA Amendments Act NPRM 2009
- Toggle 2 FCC High-Cost Universal Service Support, Jurisdictional Separations, and Coalition: Equity in Switching Support Petition for Reconsideration 2010
- Toggle 2 EPA HAZARDOUS AND SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM; IDENTIFICATION AND LISTING OF SPECIAL WASTES; DISPOSAL OF COAL COMBUSTION RESIDUALS FROM ELECTRIC UTILITIES 2009
- Toggle 2 GIPSA Implementation of Regulations Required Under Title XI of the Food, Conservation and Energy Act of 2008; Conduct in Violation of the Act 2010
- Toggle 1 FCC Notice of Public Information Collection(s) Being Reviewed by the Federal Communications Commission, Comments Requested 2009
- Toggle 1 EBSA Request for Information Regarding Lifetime Income Options for Participants and Beneficiaries in Retirement Plans 2010
- Toggle 1 USCG Notice of Availability of Final Environmental Impact Statement for the Goethals Bridge Replacement Project 2009
Advisory Committees2 people on 3 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Verizon Wireless" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 1 person on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of State 1 person on 1 committee