Cellco Partnership, doing business as Verizon Wireless, is the wireless phone provider that owns and operates the second largest mobile telecommunications network in the United States, based on a total of 94.1 million U.S. subscribers, as of Q4 2010 behind the largest carrier AT&T; Mobility with, as of, Q4 2010 had 95.5 million total subscribers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, New Jersey, the company is a joint venture of U.S. telecommunications firm Verizon Communications and British multinational mobile network operator Vodafone, with 55 and 45 percent ownership respectively. On January 9, 2009, Verizon Wireless acquired Alltel Wireless in a deal valued at $28.1 billion. The acquisition expanded Verizon's wireless network.
Some of this data may be out of date
State influence data from the National Institute on Money in State Politics changed in format and availability during the 2013-2014 election cycle. While we work to integrate their new style of data release, state-level campaign finance data for the 2014 cycle and beyond will be unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience, but heartily recommend trying out their snazzy new site at FollowTheMoney.org!
Campaign Finance$4,568,357 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
state-level data is not available in bulk for 2014. for current state data, browse http://followthemoney.org/
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Verizon Wireless
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Verizon Wireless $27,400,000 Fleishman-Hillard Inc $200,000 AON Corp $40,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Homeland Security,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Radio & TV Broadcasting,
- Health Issues,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Natural Resources,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.144 Modernize Our Bookkeeping In the Law for Employee's Cell Phone Act of 2009 H.R.1521 Cell Tax Fairness Act of 2009 H.R.5450 Modernize Our Bookkeeping In the Law for Employee's Cell Phone Act of 2008 H.R.690 Modernize Our Bookkeeping In the Law for Employee's Cell Phone Act of 2009 H.R.5793 Cell Tax Fairness Act of 2008 S.2668 Modernize Our Bookkeeping In the Law for Employee's Cell Phone Act of 2008 H.R.5353 Internet Freedom Preservation Act of 2008 S.1446 National Capital Transportation Amendments Act of 2007 H.R.1 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 S.2033 Cell Phone Consumer Empowerment Act of 2007
RegulationsMentioned in 225 dockets; Submitted to 4 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Verizon Wireless" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Verizon Wireless
- Toggle 3 DOE Implementing the National Broadband Plan 2010
- Toggle 2 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 1 NOAA 12 Month Determination and Proposed Rule to Revise the ESA Listing of Loggerhead Sea Turtles 2010
- Toggle 1 DOE Policy and Logistical Challenges to Smart Grid Implementation 2010
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Verizon Wireless
- Toggle 53 HHS Rescission of the Regulation entitled "Ensuring That Department of Health and Human Services Funds Do Not Support Coercive or Discriminatory Policies or Practices in Violation of Federal Law"; Proposal 2009
- Toggle 12 DOE Implementing the National Broadband Plan 2010
- Toggle 10 CFTC Comments for Proposed Rule 75 FR 3281 2010
- Toggle 7 EPA Lead Fishing Sinkers and Ammunition Components 2010
- Toggle 6 EERE Energy Efficiency Program for Consumer Products: Public Meeting and Availability of Framework Document for Battery Chargers and External Power Supplies 2008
- Toggle 6 EPA Standards of Performance for Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Existing Sources: Electric Utility Generating Units 2013
- Toggle 4 FCC Wireless E911 Location Accuracy Requirements; E911 Requirements for IP-Enabled Service Providers 2007
- Toggle 4 DOS Comments received by the U.S. State Department on the Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement for the Proposed Keystone XL Project 2013
- Toggle 3 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff; Mobile Medical Applications; Availability 2011
- Toggle 3 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
Federal Spending5 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Verizon Wireless Inc||2003||Federal Acquisition Service||$3,976,355|
|Verizon Wireless Inc||2005||Federal Bureau Of Investigation||PAGER SERVICE FOR THE PERIOD 1||$1,500,000|
|Verizon Wireless Inc||2004||Offices, Boards And Divisions||CELLULAR PHONE||$1,449,471|
|Verizon Wireless Inc||2004||Federal Bureau Of Investigation||PAGER SERVICE||$1,300,000|
|Verizon Wireless Inc||2003||Offices, Boards And Divisions||$1,064,424|
Advisory Committees5 people on 7 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Verizon Wireless" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Commerce 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Federal Communications Commission 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 1 person on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of State 1 person on 1 committee