Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ, NASDAQ: VZ) is a global broadband and telecommunications company and a component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average. It started in 1983 as Bell Atlantic (based in Philadelphia) with a footprint covering New Jersey to Virginia and NYNEX (based in New York City) with a footprint spanning from New York to Maine that emerged as part of the 1984 AT&T; breakup into seven "Baby Bells." Prior to its transformation into Verizon, Bell Atlantic merged with Regional Bell Operating Company, NYNEX, in 1997. The name Verizon is a portmanteau of veritas and horizon, and its pronunciation rhymes with horizon. The company's headquarters are located in the Verizon Building at 140 West Street in Lower Manhattan, New York City.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's May 12, 2009 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Verizon Communications
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Verizon Communications $29,970,000 Verizon Wireless $4,560,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Radio & TV Broadcasting,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Health Issues,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Consumer Product Safety,
- Homeland Security
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.144 Modernize Our Bookkeeping In the Law for Employee's Cell Phone Act of 2009 H.R.1521 Cell Tax Fairness Act of 2009 H.R.690 Modernize Our Bookkeeping In the Law for Employee's Cell Phone Act of 2009 H.R.1 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 S.1192 Mobile Wireless Tax Fairness Act of 2009 H.R.3458 Internet Freedom Preservation Act of 2009 S.649 Radio Spectrum Inventory Act S.773 Cybersecurity Act of 2009 H.R.3125 Radio Spectrum Inventory Act H.R.4173 Wall Street Transparency and Accountability Act of 2010
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Registrant Summary May 7, 2013 Daly Consulting Group Mobile payments, Dodd-Frank Act, corporate governance, and other issues. View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 174 dockets; Submitted to 6 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Verizon Communications" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Verizon Communications
- Toggle 3 DOE Implementing the National Broadband Plan 2010
- Toggle 2 EBSA PTE 2009-23 Verizon Investment Management Company D–11447 2009
- Toggle 1 OSHA OSHA Recordkeeping NAICS Update and Reporting Revision 2010
- Toggle 1 USTR 2010 Special 301 2010
- Toggle 1 EERE Energy Conservation Program for Consumer Products and Certain Commercial and Industrial Equipment: Proposed Determination of Set-top Boxes and Network Equipment as a Covered Consumer Product 2010
- Toggle 1 DOE Policy and Logistical Challenges to Smart Grid Implementation 2010
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Verizon Communications
- Toggle 38 EPA Notice of Receipt of a Request for a Clean Air Act Waiver to Increase the Allowable Ethanol Content of Gasoline to 15 Percent 2009
- Toggle 23 DOE Implementing the National Broadband Plan 2010
- Toggle 11 EPA HAZARDOUS AND SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM; IDENTIFICATION AND LISTING OF SPECIAL WASTES; DISPOSAL OF COAL COMBUSTION RESIDUALS FROM ELECTRIC UTILITIES 2009
- Toggle 10 EPA National Priorities List, Notice of Proposed Rulemaking; Gowanus Canal 2009
- Toggle 8 ED Gainful Employment--Student Assistance General Provisions--34 CFR Part 668 2010
- Toggle 5 EBSA PTE 2009-23 Verizon Investment Management Company D–11447 2009
- Toggle 5 FDA Converged Communications and Health Care Devices Impact on Regulation; Public Meeting; Request for Comments 2010
- Toggle 5 EPA Water Quality Standards for the State of Florida's Lakes and Flowing Waters 2009
- Toggle 5 USTR Section 1377, Compliance with Telecom Trade Agreement 2010
- Toggle 4 EPA Draft National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) General Permit for Stormwater Discharges from Construction Activities 2010
EPA Violations3 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Sutton Brook Disposal Area/Ausimont Ind||Verizon New England Inc (+48 others)||2010||Tewksbury, Ma||$34,480,000|
|West Site/Hows Corner Superfund Site||Verizon/New England Telephone & Telegraph Company (+81 others)||2010||Plymouth, Me||$11,200,000|
|Brambles Environmental, Inc. Et Al.||Verizon, New York, Inc. (+6 others)||2009||Colonie, Ny||$1,450,000|
Advisory Committees16 people on 16 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Verizon Communications" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Federal Communications Commission 7 people on 4 committees
- Toggle Department of Commerce 4 people on 5 committees
- Toggle Department of State 4 people on 4 committees
- Toggle Department of Transportation 2 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Homeland Security 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Treasury 1 person on 1 committee