Venable LLP is a law firm formerly known as Venable, Baetjer & Howard LLP. The firm is ranked 77th in the 2010 AmLaw 100 survey. It was founded in Baltimore in 1900. Today the firm maintains 7 offices throughout the country and includes over 500 attorneys practicing in over 70 practice and industry areas covering corporate and business law, complex litigation, intellectual property and regulatory and government affairs.
Some of this data may be out of date
State influence data from the National Institute on Money in State Politics changed in format and availability during the 2013-2014 election cycle. While we work to integrate their new style of data release, state-level campaign finance data for the 2014 cycle and beyond will be unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience, but heartily recommend trying out their snazzy new site at FollowTheMoney.org!
Campaign Finance$3,225,978 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
state-level data is not available in bulk for 2014. for current state data, browse http://followthemoney.org/
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying Carried Out by Venable LLP
Names of Lobbyists
Client Amount Marriott International $5,245,000 American Airlines $4,570,000 Lockheed Martin $3,961,000 Noble Energy $2,457,000 Con-Way Inc $2,430,000 Securitas Security Services USA $2,430,000 Reed Elsevier Inc $2,360,000 Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation $2,355,000 Quality Parts Coalition $2,280,000 Vantagescore Solutions $1,810,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Consumer Product Safety,
- Marine, Boats & Fisheries,
- Health Issues,
- Homeland Security,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.4173 Wall Street Transparency and Accountability Act of 2010 S.799 Commercial Privacy Bill of Rights Act of 2011 S.495 Personal Data Privacy and Security Act of 2007 S.913 Do-Not-Track Online Act of 2011 H.R.958 Data Accountability and Trust Act S.1151 Personal Data Privacy and Security Act of 2011 S.1178 Identity Theft Prevention Act S.1207 Data Security and Breach Notification Act of 2011 S.3217 Private Fund Investment Advisers Registration Act of 2010
Recent Lobbying Contracts
Date Client Summary April 20, 2015 Project Management Institute Promoting use of project management by the federal government; introduction of draft legislation View registration April 13, 2015 Angelo, Gordon & Company H.R. 870, "Puerto Rico Chapter 9 Uniformity Act of 2015" View registration April 13, 2015 BlueMountain Capital Management, LLC H.R. 870, "Puerto Rico Chapter 9 Uniformity Act of 2015" View registration April 13, 2015 Knighthead Capital Management, LLC H.R. 870 "Puerto Rico Chapter 9 Uniformity Act of 2015" View registration April 13, 2015 D. E. Shaw Galvanic Portfolios, LLC H.R. 870, "Puerto Rico Chapter 9 Uniformity Act of 2015" View registration
RegulationsMentioned in 198 dockets; Submitted to 41 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Venable LLP" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Venable LLP
- Toggle 4 FAA In the Matter of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. - Complaint - CP03SO0044 2003
- Toggle 3 FDA Technologies for Prescription Drug Identification, Track and Trace, or Authentication; Request for Information 2008
- Toggle 3 FDA Safety Concerns Regarding Buprenorphine for Opioid Dependence 2012
- Toggle 2 FDA Revise Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) Affirmation Regulation for High Fructose Corn Syrup to Recognize "Corn Sugar" as an Alternate Common or Usual Name for High Fructose Corn Syrup-CLOSED 2010
- Toggle 2 FDA Health Claim: Plant Stanol Esters and Heart Disease 2000
- Toggle 2 FDA Health Claim: Phytosterols & Reduced Risk of Coronary Heart Disease 2006
- Toggle 2 FDA Health Claim: Vegetable Oil Sterol Esters & Coronary Heart Disease 2000
- Toggle 2 FDA Request Commissioner of Food and Drugs to amend its regulations related to sugar and alternative sweeteners 2005
- Toggle 1 EERE Energy Efficiency Program for Consumer Products: Public Meeting and Availability of the Framework Document for Commercial Refrigeration Equipment 2010
- Toggle 1 SBA Small Business Government Contracting and National Defense Authorization Act of 2013 Amendments 2014
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Venable LLP
- Toggle 18 FAA In the Matter of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. - Complaint - CP03SO0044 2003
- Toggle 9 EPA HAZARDOUS AND SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM; IDENTIFICATION AND LISTING OF SPECIAL WASTES; DISPOSAL OF COAL COMBUSTION RESIDUALS FROM ELECTRIC UTILITIES 2009
- Toggle 9 USCG Atlantic Sea Island Group, LLC, Safe Harbor Energy LNG Deepwater Port License Application 2007
- Toggle 8 FWS Critical Habitat for the Polar Bear 2009
- Toggle 7 EPA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Identification of Non-Hazardous Secondary Materials That Are Solid Waste 2008
- Toggle 6 EPA Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs); Reassessment of Use Authorizations 2009
- Toggle 6 FDA Patent Extension for TAXUS EXPRESS (Paclitaxel-Eluting Coronary Stent System) 2004
- Toggle 6 FDA Patent Term Extension Application for Equidone® Gel (domiperidone), U.S. Patent No. 5,372,818 2011
- Toggle 6 FDA Safety Concerns Regarding Buprenorphine for Opioid Dependence 2012
- Toggle 5 EPA Hazardous and Solid Waste Management System: Identification and Listing of Special Wastes; Disposal of Coal Combustion Residuals From Electric Utilities: Notice of Data Availability 2011
Federal Spending2 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Venable Llp||2012||Housing And Urban Development, Department Of||MBS LEGAL SERVICES, RE-COMPETITION - NEW CONTRACT FOR NEW LAW FIRM R-2011-TK-00006||$3,000,000|
|Venable Llp||2011||Departmental Offices||LEGAL SERVICES||$1,299,000|
Advisory Committees6 people on 7 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Venable LLP" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Office of the United States Trade Representative 1 person on 2 committees
- Toggle Administrative Conference of the United States 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Commerce 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Interior 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of State 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 1 person on 1 committee