The Vanguard Group is an American investment management company that manages approximately $1.4 trillion in assets, based in Malvern, Pennsylvania. It offers mutual funds and other financial products and services to individual and institutional investors in the United States and abroad. Founder and former chairman John C. Bogle is credited with the creation of the first index fund available to individual investors, the popularization of index funds generally, and driving costs down across the mutual fund industry.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Vanguard Group
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Vanguard Group $3,420,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Chemical Industry
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1534 SAVE Act of 2011 S.1121 Savings Enhancement by Alleviating Leakage in 401(k) Savings Act of 2011 H.R.3091 To make permanent the individual income tax rates for capital gains and dividends. H.R.4050 Retirement Plan Simplification and Enhancement Act of 2012 S.1647 A bill to repeal the sunset on the reduction of capital gains rates for individuals and on the taxation of dividends of individuals at capital gain rates. H.R.4173 Wall Street Transparency and Accountability Act of 2010 H.R.4173 Prevent Iran from Acquiring Nuclear Weapons and Stop War Through Diplomacy Act H.R.3 No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act H.R.3287 Savings Enhancement by Alleviating Leakage in 401(k) Savings Act of 2011 S.401 Public Corruption Prosecution Improvements Act
RegulationsMentioned in 13 dockets; Submitted to 1 docket
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Vanguard Group" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Vanguard Group
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Vanguard Group
- Toggle 2 FSOC Recommendation Regarding Money Market Mutual Fund Reform 2012
- Toggle 1 SEC Self-Regulatory Organizations; Proposed Rule Changes 2011
- Toggle 1 SEC Agency Information Collection Activities; Proposals, Submissions, and Approvals 2011
- Toggle 1 USTR Generalized System of Preferences (GSP): Notice of Initiation of the 2012 Annual GSP Product and Country Practices Review; Deadlines for Filing Petitions 2012
- Toggle 1 SEC Applications: American Family Life Insurance Company, et al. 2011
- Toggle 1 EBSA PTE 2012-002 First Federal Bancshares of Arkansas, Inc. Employees’ Savings and Profit Sharing Plan (the Plan) [Application No. D–11683] 2012
- Toggle 1 EBSA PTE 2012-05 HSBC–North America (U.S.) Tax Reduction Investment Plan (the Plan) [Application No. D–11637] 2012
- Toggle 1 EBSA Sammons Enterprises, Inc. Employee Stock Ownership ESOP, (the ESOP) [Application No. D–11679] 2012
- Toggle 1 EBSA Sammons Enterprises, Inc. Employee Stock Ownership Plan [Application No. D-11679] 2012
- Toggle 1 SEC Registration of Municipal Advisors 2011