Valero Energy Corporation (NYSE: VLO) is a Fortune 500 international manufacturer and marketer of transportation fuels, other petrochemical products, and power based in San Antonio, Texas, United States. The company owns and operates 15 refineries throughout the United States, Canada and the Caribbean with a combined throughput capacity of approximately 2.8 million barrels per day, 10 ethanol plants with a combined production capacity of 1.1 billion gallons per year, and a 50-megawatt wind farm. Valero is also one of the US's largest retail operators with approximately 5,800 retail and branded wholesale outlets in the United States, Canada and the Caribbean under the Valero, Diamond Shamrock, Shamrock, Ultramar and Beacon brands.
Some of this data may be out of date
State influence data from the National Institute on Money in State Politics changed in format and availability during the 2013-2014 election cycle. While we work to integrate their new style of data release, state-level campaign finance data for the 2014 cycle and beyond will be unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience, but heartily recommend trying out their snazzy new site at FollowTheMoney.org!
Campaign Finance$11,560,889 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
state-level data is not available in bulk for 2014. for current state data, browse http://followthemoney.org/
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Valero Energy
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Valero Energy $8,426,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Environment & Superfund,
- Fuel, Gas & Oil,
- Clean Air & Water,
- Homeland Security,
- Marine, Boats & Fisheries,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Aviation, Airlines & Airports
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.910 Energy Tax Prevention Act of 2011 S.482 Energy Tax Prevention Act of 2011 H.R.1938 North American-Made Energy Security Act H.R.4345 Domestic Fuels Protection Act of 2012 H.R.4367 To amend the Electronic Fund Transfer Act to limit the fee disclosure requirement for an automatic teller machine to the screen of that machine. H.R.4008 Credit and Debit Card Receipt Clarification Act of 2007 H.R.4134 To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to clarify that any person who, for a commercial purpose, makes available for consumer use a machine capable of producing tobacco products, is a manufacturer of tobacco products.
RegulationsMentioned in 272 dockets; Submitted to 10 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Valero Energy" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Valero Energy
- Toggle 2 FAA Notice of Proposed Modification to the June 1, 2006 MOA FAA/Subscriber Memorandum of Agreement for ASDI/NASSI Industry Access and Request for Comments 2011
- Toggle 1 SEC Comments on Proposed Rule: Disclosure Regarding Nominating Committee Functions and Communications between Security Holders and Boards of Directors 2003
- Toggle 1 SEC Comments on Proposed Rule: Temporary Postponement of the Final Phase-In Period for Acceleration of Periodic Report Filing Dates 2004
- Toggle 1 SEC Comments on Proposed Rule: Acceleration of Periodic Report Filing Dates and Disclosure Concerning Website Access to Reports 2002
- Toggle 1 SEC Comments on Proposed Rule: Rule 10b-18 and Purchases of Certain Equity Securities by the Issuer and Others 2002
- Toggle 1 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 1 SEC Comments on Interactive Data to Improve Financial Reporting 2008
- Toggle 1 SEC Comments on Proposed Rule: Security Holder Director Nominations 2003
- Toggle 1 NLRB Proposed Rules Governing Notification of Employee Rights Under the National Labor Relations Act 2010
- Toggle 1 SEC Comments on Proposed Rule: Form 8-K Disclosure of Certain Management Transactions 2002
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Valero Energy
- Toggle 53 EPA Technical Review of NSPS Subpart J 2007
- Toggle 31 EPA Greenhouse Gas Mandatory Reporting 2008
- Toggle 19 EPA Petroleum Refining Sector Docket 2010
- Toggle 17 EPA Regulation of Fuels and Fuel Additives: Renewable Fuel Program 2005
- Toggle 17 EPA Rulemaking for the Steam Electric Power Generating Effluent Limitations Guidelines 2009
- Toggle 16 EPA Criteria and Standards for Cooling Water Intake Structures 2008
- Toggle 14 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Petroleum Refineries: Residual Risk Standards 2003
- Toggle 10 EPA TX006 Texas: Rules for the Control of Highly Reactive Volatile Organic Compounds in the Houston/Galveston (HGA) Ozone Nonattainment Area 2004
- Toggle 8 EPA Control of Air Pollution From New Motor Vehicles: Tier 3 Motor Vehicle Emission and Fuel Standards 2011
- Toggle 7 EPA Oil and Natural Gas Sector -- New Source Performance Standards, National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants, and Control Techniques Guidelines 2010
Federal Spending1 grant
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Valero Energy Corporation||2006||Office Of Justice Programs||FY 2006 PORT SECURITY GRANT PROGRAM||$1,572,625|
Advisory Committees3 people on 3 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Valero Energy" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Homeland Security 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 1 person on 1 committee