UST Inc. was a holding company whose subsidiaries included U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company and International Wine & Spirits Ltd., which in turn is a holding company of Chateau Ste. Michelle Wine Estates, a vintner of premium wines. On January 6, 2009 UST Inc. was purchased by Altria.
Campaign Finance$14,996,788 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of UST Inc
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount UST Public Affairs $5,620,000 UST Inc $4,440,000 US Smokeless Tobacco $1,460,000 US Smokeless Tobacco $1,460,000 Fleishman-Hillard Inc $100,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Consumer Product Safety,
- Beverage Industry,
- Health Issues,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Homeland Security
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.625 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act H.R.1108 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act S.1027 PACT Act S.1834 Help End Addiction to Lethal Tobacco Habits Act H.R.2932 H.R.3593 Stop Kids From Smoking Act H.R.4081 Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2007 H.R.4944 Miscellaneous Trade and Technical Corrections Act of 2006 H.R.5513 Stop Adolescent Smoking Without Excessive Bureaucracy Act of 2008 H.R.1376 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act
RegulationsMentioned in 22 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "UST Inc" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for UST Inc
- Toggle 4 EPA Preliminary 2006 Effluent Guidelines Program Plan 2004
- Toggle 3 FDA FDA is Requesting Data, Information, and Views and Hosting a Web-Based Public Meeting to Discuss Issues Related to the Development of an Enforcement Action Plan 2010
- Toggle 3 FDA Required Warnings for Cigarette Packages & Advertisements 2010
- Toggle 2 FDA Regulation of Tobacco Products; Request for Comments 2009
- Toggle 2 FDA Initiate a Rulemaking Procedure to Adjust the Text of a Smokeless Tobacco ("ST") Product Warning Label Statement 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Implementation of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act Request for Comments (Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking) 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Tobacco Product Advertising and Promotion to Youth and Racial and Ethnic Minority Populations; Request for Comments 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Regulations Restricting the Sale and Distribution of Cigarettes and Smokeless Tobacco to Protect Children and Adolescents 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA FDA Actions Related to Nicotine Replacement Therapies and Smoking-Cessation Products; Report to Congress on Innovative Products and Treatments for Tobacco Dependence; Public Hearing; Request for Comments 2012
- Toggle 1 Menthol in Cigarettes, Tobacco Products; Request for Comments 2013