Unum (NYSE: UNM) is a Chattanooga, Tennessee-based insurance company previously named UnumProvident, which was formed from the merger of two competing insurance companies, Unum of Portland, Maine, and Provident Life and Accident Insurance Company of Chattanooga. It is currently the largest disability insurance company worldwide. Unum provides employee benefits including disability insurance, critical illness insurance, long-term care insurance and life insurance.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q3 2013. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Unum Group
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Unum Group $1,510,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.48 Federal Life Insurance Transparency Act H.R.63 Long-Term Care Insurance Reform Act of 2011 H.R.70 Disability Benefit Fairness Act of 2011 H.R.130 Life Insurance Employee Notification Act H.R.220 Identity Theft Prevention Act of 2011 H.R.300 Young Adults Financial Literacy Act H.R.626 Financial Literacy for Youth Act of 2011 H.R.653 Financial Information Privacy Act of 2011 H.R.749 To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to permanently extend the subpart F exemption for active financing income. H.R.1112 National Association of Registered Agents and Brokers Reform Act of 2011
RegulationsMentioned in 2 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Unum Group" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Unum Group
- Toggle 2 EERE Energy Conservation Program for Certain Industrial Equipment: Energy Conservation Standards for Commercial Heating, Air Conditioning, and Water-Heating Equipment 2011
- Toggle 1 EERE Energy Conservation Program: Energy Conservation Standards for Residential Furnaces and Residential Central Air Conditioners and Heat Pumps (Cross Reference Res Furn and Res CAC, EERE-2008-BT-STD-0006 & EERE-2009-BT-STD-0022) 2011