University of Rhode Island
The University of Rhode Island (URI) is the principal public research university in the U.S. state of Rhode Island. Its main campus is located in Kingston. Additional campuses include the Feinstein Campus in Providence, the Narragansett Bay Campus in Narragansett, and the W. Alton Jones Campus in West Greenwich. URI currently enrolls 14,546 undergraduate and 4,549 graduate students. The average incoming freshman for the fall of 2010 had a GPA of 3.34 and an SAT score of 1671. URI is a land grant, sea grant, and urban grant institution. US News and World Report classifies URI as a tier 1 national university, ranking it 167th overall.
Campaign Finance$184,030 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of University of Rhode Island
Names of Lobbyists
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.5326 Department of Justice Appropriations Act, 2013 H.R.5855 Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2013 H.R.5856 Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2013 S.3295 Department of Labor Appropriations Act, 2013 S.2323 Science Appropriations Act, 2013 S.3216 Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2013 H.R.2017 Continuing Appropriations Act, 2012 H.R.6091 Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2013 H.R.2219 Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2012 H.R.2584 Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2012
RegulationsMentioned in 375 dockets; Submitted to 9 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "University of Rhode Island" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for University of Rhode Island
- Toggle 2 BOEM Notice of the Availability of an Environmental Assessment for Commercial Wind Lease Issuance and Site Assessment Activities on the Atlantic Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Offshore Rhode Island and Massachusetts 2012
- Toggle 1 ED Higher Education Act, Title IV, Student Loans 2012
- Toggle 1 NOAA Recovery Plan for North Pacific Right Whales 2013
- Toggle 1 CCC Conservation Reserve Program 2011
- Toggle 1 BLM Notice of Proposed Rule: Oil and Gas; Well Stimulation, Including Hydraulic Fracturing, on Federal and Indian Lands 43 CFR 3160 2012
- Toggle 1 NOAA Re-establishing the Sanctuary Nomination Process 2013
- Toggle 1 NOAA Listing Endangered and Threatened Species: 90-day finding on a petition to list the scalloped hammerhead shark as threatened or endangered under the Endangered Species Act 2011
- Toggle 1 DOS Notice of Receipt of Cultural Property Request From the Government of the Hellenic Republic 2010
- Toggle 1 FWS Revised Definitions for ESA Section 7 Consultations; 50 CFR Part 402 2008
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for University of Rhode Island
- Toggle 88 EPA National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System - Regulations To Establish Requirements for Cooling Water Intake Structures at Phase II Existing Facilities 2002
- Toggle 34 NOAA Measures for the 2010 Fishing Year (FY) Operations Plans for 17 Sectors; Northeast (NE) Multispecies Fishery Management Plan (FMP) 2009
- Toggle 25 EPA Water Quality Standards for the State of Florida's Estuaries and Coastal Waters 2010
- Toggle 24 EPA Criteria and Standards for Cooling Water Intake Structures 2008
- Toggle 18 EPA Protection of Stratospheric Ozone: Process for Exempting Critical Use of Methyl Bromide 2003
- Toggle 15 EPA National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Permit Regulation and Effluent Limitations Guidelines and Standards for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs). 2002
- Toggle 15 USCG Northeast Gateway Energy Bridge, L.L.C., Liquefied Natural Gas Deepwater Port License Application 2005
- Toggle 13 EPA Protection of Stratospheric Ozone: Process for Exempting Critical Uses of Methyl Bromide for the 2005 Supplemental Request 2004
- Toggle 13 EPA Effluent Limitation Guidelines and New Source Performance Standards for the Construction and Development Category 2008
- Toggle 13 EPA NPDES - Reissuance of the Vessel General Permit for Discharges Incidental to the Normal Operation of Vessels (VGP) 2011
|2010||$3,200,000||University of Rhode Island Physical Sciences, Inc (Kerry): Standoff Sensors, Detection of Explosives and Explosive Devices (IEDs)|
|2010||$1,250,000||University of Rhode Island: Rhode Island Consortium for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology|
|2009||$1,200,000||University of Rhode Island: University of Rhode Island equipment for the Pell Library and Undersea Exploration Center|
|2009||$1,000,000||University of Rhode Island: University of Rhode Island for assessing the water quality, ecology, fish, and fisheries of Narragansett Bay|
University of Rhode Island:
University of Rhode Island Inner Space Center
|2009||$250,000||University of Rhode Island: University of Rhode Island for forensics research and operations|
Federal Spending112 grants; 1 contract
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|University Of Rhode Island||2004||Education, Department Of||CONVERTED RECORD - DL BASE RECORD 2004-2005||$9,887,483|
|University Of Rhode Island||2004||Education, Department Of||CONVERTED RECORD - DL BASE RECORD 2004-2005||$9,347,828|
|University Of Rhode Island||2003||Education, Department Of||CONVERTED RECORD - DIRECT LOAN BASE RECORD 2002-2003||$9,142,447|
|University Of Rhode Island||2004||Education, Department Of||CONVERTED RECORD - DL BASED RECORD 2003-2004||$8,558,043|
|University Of Rhode Island||2003||Education, Department Of||CONVERTED RECORD - DIRECT LOAN BASE RECORD 2001-2002||$8,000,000|
|University Of Rhode Island||2004||Education, Department Of||CONVERTED RECORD - DL BASED RECORD 2003-2004||$8,000,000|
|University Of Rhode Island||2010||National Science Foundation||Infrastructure to Advance Life Sciences in the Ocean State||$8,000,000|
|University Of Rhode Island||2004||Education, Department Of||CONVERTED RECORD - DL BASED RECORD 2003-2004||$7,227,256|
|University Of Rhode Island||2004||Education, Department Of||CONVERTED RECORD - DL BASED RECORD 2003-2004||$6,774,981|
|University Of Rhode Island||2012||Education, Department Of||GRANT PROGRAM||$6,410,783|
EPA Violations1 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|West Kingston Town Dump/Uri Disposal Area||University Of Rhode Island (+3 others)||2009||South Kingstown, Ri||$2,993,000|
Advisory Committees164 people on 87 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "University of Rhode Island" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle National Science Foundation 139 people on 69 committees
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 14 people on 11 committees
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 6 people on 4 committees
- Toggle National Endowment for the Humanities 5 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Defense 2 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Interior 1 person on 1 committee