University of Pennsylvania
The University of Pennsylvania (commonly referred to as Penn or UPenn), one of the eight members of the Ivy League, is a private research university located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. Penn is the fourth-oldest institution of higher education in the United States, and is one of several institutions that claims to have been the first university in America. Penn is also one of the Colonial Colleges.
Campaign Finance$3,367,434 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of University of Pennsylvania
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Trustees of the Univ of Pennsylvania $4,379,613
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Health Issues,
- Medical Research & Clin Labs,
- Science & Technology,
- Veterans Affairs,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.4872 Health Care and Education Affordability Reconciliation Act of 2010 H.R.3590 Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 H.R.2112 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2012 H.R.3200 America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 S.1679 Affordable Health Choices Act H.R.2997 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2010 H.R.3590 Indonesian Family Refugee Protection Act H.R.5384 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2007 H.R.5427 Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act, 2007 H.R.5973 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2013
RegulationsMentioned in 824 dockets; Submitted to 50 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "University of Pennsylvania" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for University of Pennsylvania
- Toggle 3 DOS Notice of Meeting and Closed Meeting of the Cultural Property Advisory Committee 2011
- Toggle 3 NIH Responsibility of Applicants for Promoting Objectivity in Research for Which Public Health Service Funding is Sought and Responsible Prospective Contractors 2010
- Toggle 2 FWS 90-Day Finding on a Petition To List All Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) as Endagered 2010
- Toggle 2 DOS Notice of Receipt of Cultural Property Request From the Government of the Hellenic Republic 2010
- Toggle 2 HHS Human Subjects Research Protections: Enhancing Protections for Research Subjects and Reducing Burden, Delay, and Ambiguity for Investigators 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Electroconvulsive Therapy Device 1978
- Toggle 2 DOT Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability in Air Travel - Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) 2004
- Toggle 2 NHTSA Long Range Strategic Planning 2004
- Toggle 2 NHTSA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards - Event Data Recorders 2004
- Toggle 1 FWS Petition to List 404 Species in the Southeastern United States as Endangered 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for University of Pennsylvania
- Toggle 50 CMS Revisions to Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule, and Other Part B Payment Policies; Revisions to Payment Policies for Ambulance Services for CY 2008; and the Proposed Elimination of the E-Rx Exemption for Computer-Generated Faxes*** 2010
- Toggle 21 EPA Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), Fluorinated Telomers; Request for Comment; Solicitation of Interested Parties for Enforceable Consent Agreement Development; and Notice of Public Meeting 2003
- Toggle 17 FMCSA Hours of Service of Drivers 2004
- Toggle 13 FDA Sunscreen Drug Products 1978
- Toggle 13 EPA Air Quality Criteria for Carbon Monoxide 2005
- Toggle 13 EPA Proposed Endangerment Finding for Greenhouse Gases under the Clean Air Act (CAA) 2009
- Toggle 12 EPA EPA/NHTSA Joint Rulemaking to Establish Light-duty Vehicle GHG Emissions Standards and CAFE Standards 2009
- Toggle 11 EPA Lead Renovation, Repair, and Painting Program 2005
- Toggle 11 EPA National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Permit Regulation and Effluent Limitations Guidelines and Standards for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs). 2002
- Toggle 11 FWS 90-Day Finding on a Petition To List All Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) as Endagered 2010
Federal Spending944 grants; 6 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|University Of Pennsylvania Inc||2005||Dept Of The Army||BIOLOGICAL AND FUNCTIONAL IMAGING APPROACHES TO UNDERSTANDING BREAST CANCER METASTASIS, PROGRESSION AND RESPONSE TO THERAPY||$9,999,995|
|University Of Pennsylvania||2011||National Institutes Of Health||INSTITUTIONAL CLINICAL AND TRANSLATIONAL SCIENCE AWARD||$9,885,103|
|University Of Pennsylvania||2012||National Institutes Of Health||INSTITUTIONAL CLINICAL AND TRANSLATIONAL SCIENCE AWARD||$9,885,102|
|University Of Pennsylvania||2006||National Institutes Of Health||$9,627,439|
|University Of Pennsylvania Incorporated||2006||Veterans Affairs, Department Of||CARDIAC SURGERY SERVICES||$9,600,000|
|University Of Pennsylvania Inc||2005||Dept Of The Army||DEVELOPMENT OF A MULTILEAF COLLIMATOR FOR PROTON RADIOTHERAPY||$8,138,997|
|University Of Pennsylvania||2011||National Institutes Of Health||ABRAMSON CANCER CENTER SUPPORT GRANT||$7,696,742|
|University Of Pennsylvania||2008||National Institutes Of Health||ABRAMSON CANCER CENTER OF THE U OF P CORE SUPPORT GRANT||$7,326,647|
|University Of Pennsylvania||2010||National Institutes Of Health||TESTERONE TRIAL||$7,282,788|
|University Of Pennsylvania||2007||National Institutes Of Health||ABRAMSON CANCER CENTER OF THE U OF P CORE SUPPORT GRANT||$7,282,327|
EPA Violations2 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Carolina Transformer Company||Trustee Of The University Of Pennsylvania (+151 others)||2008||Fayetteville, Nc||$12,381,948|
|Pcb Treatment, Inc.||University Of Pennsylvania (+381 others)||2004||Kansas City, Ks; ...||$1,916,377|
Advisory Committees890 people on 256 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "University of Pennsylvania" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle National Science Foundation 373 people on 93 committees
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 428 people on 123 committees
- Toggle National Endowment for the Humanities 63 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Veterans Affairs 7 people on 6 committees
- Toggle Department of Defense 7 people on 8 committees
- Toggle Department of Energy 5 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 5 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of Education 4 people on 3 committees
- Toggle National Endowment for the Arts 3 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of State 3 people on 3 committees