University of Minnesota
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (U of M or regionally the U) is a public research university located in Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota, United States. It is the oldest and largest part of the University of Minnesota system and has the fourth-largest main campus student body in the United States, with 51,611 students in 2010–2011. The University is considered a Public Ivy (a public institution that is comparable to an Ivy League university) by Green's Guide. University of Minnesota is ranked among the top 25 of the nation's top research universities by the Center for Measuring University Performance, which takes into account total research, federal research, endowment assets, annual giving, National Academy members, faculty awards, doctorates granted, postdoctoral appointees, and undergraduate SAT/ACT range.
Campaign Finance$368,840 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of University of Minnesota
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount University of Minnesota $720,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Health Issues,
- Science & Technology,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.674 3% Withholding Repeal and Job Creation Act S.164 Withholding Tax Relief Act of 2011 S.1599 Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2012 H.R.1 Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2011 H.11 Build America Bonds to Create Jobs Now Act of 2011 H.R.1249 America Invents Act H.R.1540 National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 H.R.2055 Military Construction and Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2012
RegulationsMentioned in 296 dockets; Submitted to 25 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "University of Minnesota" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for University of Minnesota
- Toggle 3 HHS HIPAA Privacy Rule Accounting of Disclosures under the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act 2011
- Toggle 3 HHS Human Subjects Research Protections: Enhancing Protections for Research Subjects and Reducing Burden, Delay, and Ambiguity for Investigators 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Classification of Products as Drugs and Devices & Additional Product Classification Issues; Draft Guidance for Industry and FDA Staff 2011
- Toggle 1 APHIS 2010 Guidelines for Elephant Tuberculosis 2011
- Toggle 1 FAA Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association and Experimental Aircraft Association - Exemption/Rulemaking 2012
- Toggle 1 FDA Section 307. Accreditation of Third-Party Auditors 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Center for Devices and Radiological Health 510(k) Clearance Process; Institute of Medicine Report: “Medical Devices and the Public’s Health, The FDA 510(k) Clearance Process at 35 Years;” Request for Comments 2011
- Toggle 1 FWS Depredation Orders for Double-crested Cormorants at Aquaculture Facilities and for Protection of Public Resources 2011
- Toggle 1 DEA Disposal of Controlled Substances 2012
- Toggle 1 DOJ National Standards To Prevent, Detect, and Respond to Prison Rape 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for University of Minnesota
- Toggle 45 FWS Petition to List the African Lion (Panthera leo leo) As Endangered 2012
- Toggle 15 NHTSA Environmental Impact Statement for Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE)Standards, Model Years 2017-2025 2011
- Toggle 14 EPA Control of Air Pollution From New Motor Vehicles: Tier 3 Motor Vehicle Emission and Fuel Standards 2011
- Toggle 13 EPA NPDES - Reissuance of the Vessel General Permit for Discharges Incidental to the Normal Operation of Vessels (VGP) 2011
- Toggle 12 FNS National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs: Nutrition Standards for All Foods Sold in School, as Required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 2011
- Toggle 11 APHIS Dow AgroSciences; Notice of Petition for a Determination of Nonregulated Status for Soybean Genetically Engineered for Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid and Glufosinate 2012
- Toggle 9 APHIS Monsanto Co.; Availability of Petition, Plant Pest Risk Assessment, and Environmental Assessment for Determination of Nonregulated Status for Corn Genetically Engineered for Drought Tolerance 2011
- Toggle 9 APHIS Bayer CropScience; Availability of Petition, Plant Pest Risk Assessment, and Environmental Assessment for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Soybean Genetically Engineered to Tolerate the Herbicides Glyphosate and Isoxaflutole 2012
- Toggle 8 APHIS Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.; Availability of Petition, Plant Pest Risk Assessment, and Environmental Assessment for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Maize Genetically Engineered for Herbicide Tolerance 2012
- Toggle 8 EPA Formaldehyde Emissions Standards for Composite Wood Products 2012
Federal Spending29 grants; 6 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|University Of Minnesota||2011||National Institutes Of Health||UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA CLINICAL AND TRANSLATIONAL SCIENCE INSTITUTE (UMN CTSI)||$8,891,828|
|University Of Minnesota||2012||National Institutes Of Health||UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA CLINICAL AND TRANSLATIONAL SCIENCE INSTITUTE (UMN CTSI)||$8,891,828|
|University Of Minnesota||2011||National Institutes Of Health||ANTIHYPERTENSIVE TREATMENT OF ACUTE CEREBRAL HEMORRHAGE (ATACH-II)||$4,564,034|
|University Of Minnesota||2011||National Institutes Of Health||TAS::75 0885::TAS NIAID CENTERS OF EXCELLENCE FOR INFLUENZA RESEARCH AND SURVEILLANCE||$4,320,887|
|University Of Minnesota||2012||National Institutes Of Health||TAS::75 0885::TAS NIAID CENTERS OF EXCELLENCE FOR INFLUENZA RESEARCH AND SURVEILLANCE||$4,315,680|
|University Of Minnesota||2012||Health Resources And Services Administration||CAPITAL DEVELOPMENT||$2,236,700|
|University Of Minnesota||2011||Centers For Medicare And Medicaid Services||TAS::70 0511::TAS QUALITY IMPROVEMENT PROGAMS FOR NURSING HOME PROVIDERS||$2,100,000|
|University Of Minnesota||2012||National Institutes Of Health||EARLY EXPERIENCE, STRESS AND NEUROBEHAVIORAL DEVELOPMENT CENTER||$1,900,073|
|University Of Minnesota||2012||National Institutes Of Health||ILLUMINATING THE MECHANISTIC PATHWAYS OF POLYMER-MEDIATED NUCLEIC ACID DELIVERY||$1,846,709|
|University Of Minnesota||2011||National Institutes Of Health||EARLY EXPERIENCE, STRESS AND NEUROBEHAVIORAL DEVELOPMENT CENTER||$1,756,019|
Advisory Committees182 people on 49 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "University of Minnesota" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle National Science Foundation 153 people on 29 committees
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 15 people on 12 committees
- Toggle National Endowment for the Humanities 3 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Veterans Affairs 3 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Agriculture 2 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 2 people on 1 committee
- Toggle National Endowment for the Arts 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Education 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle National Aeronautics and Space Administration 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Defense 1 person on 1 committee