University of Minnesota
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (U of M or regionally the U) is a public research university located in Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota, United States. It is the oldest and largest part of the University of Minnesota system and has the fourth-largest main campus student body in the United States, with 51,611 students in 2010–2011. The University is considered a Public Ivy (a public institution that is comparable to an Ivy League university) by Green's Guide. University of Minnesota is ranked among the top 25 of the nation's top research universities by the Center for Measuring University Performance, which takes into account total research, federal research, endowment assets, annual giving, National Academy members, faculty awards, doctorates granted, postdoctoral appointees, and undergraduate SAT/ACT range.
Campaign Finance$2,052,032 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of University of Minnesota
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount University of Minnesota $2,600,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Health Issues,
- Science & Technology,
- Foreign Relations
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.515 Patent Reform Act of 2009 H.R.4872 Health Care and Education Affordability Reconciliation Act of 2010 H.R.3590 Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 H.R.5116 NIST GREEN JOBS Act of 2010 H.R.5322 Patent and Trademark Office Funding Stabilization Act of 2010 S.729 Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2009 S.1436 Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2010 H.R.1908 Patent Reform Act of 2007 S.991 Senator Paul Simon Study Abroad Foundation Act of 2007 S.1599 Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2012
RegulationsMentioned in 1329 dockets; Submitted to 79 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "University of Minnesota" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for University of Minnesota
- Toggle 7 NIFA AFRI Stakeholder 2010 2010
- Toggle 3 HHS Human Subjects Research Protections: Enhancing Protections for Research Subjects and Reducing Burden, Delay, and Ambiguity for Investigators 2011
- Toggle 3 HHS HIPAA Privacy Rule Accounting of Disclosures under the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act 2011
- Toggle 3 PHMSA AETS/CWM - Exemption - Hazerdous Materials - To Authorize The Transporation of Small Quantities of Desensitized Laboratory Reagents 1998
- Toggle 2 FDA Classification of Products as Drugs and Devices & Additional Product Classification Issues; Draft Guidance for Industry and FDA Staff 2011
- Toggle 2 AMS National Organic Program (NOP) - Proposed Amendments to the National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances (Processing) 2007
- Toggle 2 FDA New Animal Drugs; Cephalosporin Drugs; Extralabel Animal Drug Use; Order of Prohibition 2008
- Toggle 2 ESA Request for Information on the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 2006
- Toggle 2 HHS Ensuring that Department of Health and Human Services Funds Do Not Support Coercive or Discriminatory Policies or Practices In Violation of Federal Law 2008
- Toggle 2 APHIS Environmental Assessment; Determination of Nonregulated Status of Sugar Beet Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2010
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for University of Minnesota
- Toggle 132 EPA National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Permit Regulation and Effluent Limitations Guidelines and Standards for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs). 2002
- Toggle 58 EPA Regulation of Fuels and Fuel Additives: Renewable Fuel Program 2005
- Toggle 50 FRA Environmental Review of Dakota Minnesota & Eastern Railroad Powder River Expansion Project Loan Application 2006
- Toggle 47 FWS Petition to List the African Lion (Panthera leo leo) As Endangered 2012
- Toggle 35 APHIS Environmental Assessment; Determination of Nonregulated Status of Sugar Beet Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2010
- Toggle 25 EPA Greenhouse Gas New Source Performance Standard for Electric Generating Units 2011
- Toggle 25 APHIS Regulatory Status of Alfalfa Genetically Engineered for Tolerance to the Herbicide Glyphosate 2007
- Toggle 22 APHIS Dow AgroSciences LLC; Availability of Petition, Plant Pest Risk Assessment, and Environmental Assessment for Determination of Nonregulated Status of Corn Genetically Engineered for Herbicide Tolerance 2010
- Toggle 21 FDA Qualified Health Claim for Whole Grains and Reduced Risk of Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 2012
- Toggle 21 NHTSA Notice of Intent to Prepare an Environmental Impact Statement for New Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards 2008
University of Minnesota:
Development and Validation of Advanced Design Technologies for Hypersonic Research
|2010||$200,000||University of Minnesota: Soybean Genomics, St. Paul, MN|
Federal Spending316 grants; 62 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|University Of Minnesota||2000||$19,340,000|
|University Of Minnesota||2012||National Institutes Of Health||UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA CLINICAL AND TRANSLATIONAL SCIENCE INSTITUTE (UMN CTSI)||$8,891,828|
|University Of Minnesota||2011||National Institutes Of Health||UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA CLINICAL AND TRANSLATIONAL SCIENCE INSTITUTE (UMN CTSI)||$8,891,828|
|University Of Minnesota||2013||National Institutes Of Health||UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA CLINICAL AND TRANSLATIONAL SCIENCE INSTITUTE (UMN CTSI)||$8,002,441|
|University Of Minnesota||2003||Education, Department Of||CONVERTED RECORD - DIRECT LOAN BASE RECORD 2002-2003||$7,919,387|
|University Of Minnesota||2004||Student Financial Assistance Programs||PELL - GRANT PROGRAM||$7,282,064|
|University Of Minnesota||2003||Education, Department Of||CONVERTED RECORD - DL BASED RECORD 2003-2004||$6,853,120|
|University Of Minnesota||2004||Education, Department Of||CONVERTED RECORD - DL BASE RECORD 2004-2005||$6,700,564|
|University Of Minnesota||2003||Student Financial Assistance Programs||PELL - GRANT PROGRAM||$6,596,566|
|University Of Minnesota||2006||Education, Department Of||CONVERTED RECORD - DL BASE RECORD 2006-2007||$6,527,577|
EPA Violations2 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|3m Company||University of Minnesota (+106 others)||2008||Wood Ridge, Nj||$18,000,000|
|Abb, Inc.||University of Minnesota (+72 others)||2007||Wood Ridge, Nj||$1,400,000|
Advisory Committees1077 people on 243 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "University of Minnesota" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle National Science Foundation 667 people on 107 committees
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 333 people on 92 committees
- Toggle National Endowment for the Humanities 43 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Defense 9 people on 13 committees
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 12 people on 6 committees
- Toggle Department of Agriculture 7 people on 5 committees
- Toggle National Endowment for the Arts 6 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of Veterans Affairs 5 people on 2 committees
- Toggle National Aeronautics and Space Administration 3 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Education 2 people on 2 committees