The United Steel, Paper and Forestry, Rubber, Manufacturing, Energy, Allied Industrial and Service Workers International Union (United Steelworkers or USW) is the largest industrial labor union in North America, with 705,000 members. Headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the United Steelworkers represents workers in the United States, Canada and the Caribbean. The United Steelworkers represent workers in a diverse range of industries, including primary and fabricated metals, chemicals, glass, rubber, heavy-duty conveyor belting, tires, transportation, utilities, container industries, pharmaceuticals, call centers and health care.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2012 filing. independent expenditures updated daily.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Independent Expendituresmoney spent supporting or opposing a candidate
Candidate Support/Oppose Total Spent Barack ObamaSupport $114,370 Mitt RomneyOppose $10,419 Mark CritzSupport $5,041 Sherrod BrownSupport $2,818 Chris MurphySupport $733 Nathan ShinagawaSupport $423 Kathleen HochulSupport $423 Elizabeth WarrenSupport $353 Sal PaceSupport $290 Joe DonnellySupport $181
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of United Steelworkers
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount United Steelworkers $1,220,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Environment & Superfund,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Chemical Industry,
- Health Issues,
- Economics & Econ Development,
- Clean Air & Water
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.493 SBIR/STTR Reauthorization Act of 2011 H.R.1802 Sustainable Water Infrastructure Investment Act of 2011 S.939 Sustainable Water Infrastructure Investment Act of 2011 S.23 Patent Reform Act of 2011 H.R.658 FAA Reauthorization and Reform Act of 2011 H.R.1249 America Invents Act H.R.2054 Energy and Revenue Enrichment Act of 2011 H.R.12 American Jobs Act of 2011 S.473 Continuing Chemical Facilities Antiterrorism Security Act of 2011 S.1088 Retiree Health Coverage Protection Act
RegulationsMentioned in 32 dockets; Submitted to 6 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "United Steelworkers" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for United Steelworkers
- Toggle 1 OSHA Establishment of the Whistleblower Protection Advisory Committee (WPAC) 2012
- Toggle 1 HHS Health Information Technology; HIT Policy Committee: Request for Comment Regarding the Stage 3 Definition of Meaningful Use of Electronic Health Records (EHRs) 2012
- Toggle 1 ETA Temporary Non-agricultural Employment of H-2B Aliens in the United States 2011
- Toggle 1 APHIS Notice of Request for Extension of Approval of an Information Collection; Lacey Act Declaration Requirement; Plants and Plant Products 2012
- Toggle 1 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 1 DARS (S) Specialty Metals--Definition of "Produce" (DFARS Case 2012-D041) 2012
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for United Steelworkers
- Toggle 9 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 5 EPA Greenhouse Gas New Source Performance Standard for Electric Generating Units 2011
- Toggle 3 WHD Application of the Fair Labor Standards Act to Domestic Service 2011
- Toggle 3 EPA Reconsideration of Portland Cement NESHAP and NSPS 2011
- Toggle 3 OSHA Oil and Gas Stakeholder Meeting 2012
- Toggle 2 OSHA Establishment of the Whistleblower Protection Advisory Committee (WPAC) 2012
- Toggle 2 CMS Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act; HHS Notice of Benefit and Payment Parameters for 2014 (CMS-9964-P) 2012
- Toggle 2 EERE Notice of Intent to Negotiate Proposed Rule on Energy Efficiency Standards for Distribution Transformers 2011
- Toggle 2 HHS Health Information Technology; HIT Policy Committee: Request for Comment Regarding the Stage 3 Definition of Meaningful Use of Electronic Health Records (EHRs) 2012
- Toggle 2 FWS Eagle Permits; Modifications to Regulations Governing Take to Protect Interests in Particular Localities 2011
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "United Steelworkers" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Office of the United States Trade Representative 1 person on 1 committee