United Parcel Service
United Parcel Service, Inc. (NYSE: UPS), colloquially referred to as UPS, is a package delivery company. Headquartered in Sandy Springs, Georgia, United States, UPS delivers more than 15 million packages a day to 6.1 million customers in more than 220 countries and territories around the world.
Campaign Finance$40,746,897 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of United Parcel Service
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount United Parcel Service $57,004,101 American Hotel & Lodging Assn $0
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Aviation, Airlines & Airports,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Health Issues,
- Trucking & Shipping,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2881 FAA Reauthorization Act of 2007 H.R.915 FAA Reauthorization Act of 2009 S.1300 Aviation Investment and Modernization Act of 2007 S.1451 FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act H.R.1653 To amend the Tariff Act of 1930 to increase the dollar amount requirements for articles and merchandise under the administrative exemptions and entry under regulations provisions of that Act. H.R.1586 FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act H.R.22 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act S.2191 America's Climate Security Act of 2007 H.R.1356 Next Generation Air Transportation System Financing Reform Act of 2007 H.R.2830 Pension Protection Act of 2005
RegulationsMentioned in 3275 dockets; Submitted to 184 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "United Parcel Service" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for United Parcel Service
- Toggle 145 DOT United Parcel Service Co. - Petition to Institute a Public Inquiry Into the Citizenship and Foreign Control of DHL Airways, Inc. 2002
- Toggle 52 DOT United Parcel Service Co. - Motion for Confidential Treatment 1995
- Toggle 15 DOT 2002/2003 Hong Kong Fifth Freedom All-Cargo Frequency Proceeding 2002
- Toggle 9 DOT 2005/2006 U.S.-China Air Services Case and Designations 2004
- Toggle 9 DOT American Airlines, Inc., Federal Express Corporation, United Air Lines, Inc. and United Parcel Service Co. - Joint Complaint Against Aerolineas Argentinas, S.A., Air Plus Argentina, S.A., Southern Winds, S.A. and the Government of Argentina - IATFCPA 2003
- Toggle 8 DOT United Parcel Service Co. - Frequency Allocation - U.S.-Hong Kong Fifth-Freedom 2005
- Toggle 7 DOT 2004 Hong-Kong Fifth Freedom All Cargo Frequency Proceeding 2004
- Toggle 7 DOT 2004 Cargo Designation and 2004/2005 All-Cargo Frequencies 2004
- Toggle 6 DOT U.S.-Philippines All-Cargo Service Proceeding 1996
- Toggle 6 DOT United Parcel Service Co. - Exemption - Los Angeles-Guadalajara 2000
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for United Parcel Service
- Toggle 1301 DOT United Parcel Service Co. - Petition to Institute a Public Inquiry Into the Citizenship and Foreign Control of DHL Airways, Inc. 2002
- Toggle 707 DOT American Airlines, Inc., Federal Express Corporation, United Air Lines, Inc. and United Parcel Service Co. - Joint Complaint Against Aerolineas Argentinas, S.A., Air Plus Argentina, S.A., Southern Winds, S.A. and the Government of Argentina - IATFCPA 2003
- Toggle 498 OSHA EXPLOSIVES 2007
- Toggle 459 DOT U.S. DOT/OST - Notice - U.S.-China Service Opportunities 1999
- Toggle 162 DOT Notice - Hong Kong Fifth Freedom All-Cargo Proceeding 1995
- Toggle 126 FAA Collision Avoidance Systems 2001
- Toggle 110 DOT United Parcel Service Co. - Motion for Confidential Treatment 1995
- Toggle 105 DOT 2002/2003 Hong Kong Fifth Freedom All-Cargo Frequency Proceeding 2002
- Toggle 60 EPA Effluent Guidelines and Standards for the Airport Deicing Category 2004
- Toggle 58 DOT 2004 Cargo Designation and 2004/2005 All-Cargo Frequencies 2004
Federal Spending91 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|United Parcel Service Company||2011||BASE CONTRACT PERIOD||$14,823,658|
|United Parcel Service||2005||$12,691,623|
|United Parcel Service Company||2008||QUARTERLY CARGO BUY||$12,034,669|
|United Parcel Service Company||2008||QUARTERLY CARGO MISSIONS||$10,687,435|
|United Parcel Service Company||2008||CHANNEL CARGO||$7,920,005|
|United Parcel Service Company||2008||CHANNEL PAX||$6,998,939|
|United Parcel Service Company||2008||CHANNEL CARGO||$6,584,234|
|United Parcel Service Co.||2012||CONSOLIDATED TRANSPORTATION SHIPMENTS MADE BY DECENTRALIZED ORDERING OFFICERS||$6,281,438|
|United Parcel Service Co.||2011||CONSOLIDATED TRANSPORTATION SHIPMENTS MADE BY DECENTRALIZED ORDERING OFFICERS||$6,002,377|
|United Parcel Service Co.||2011||CONSOLIDATED TRANSPORTATION SHIPMENTS MADE BY DECENTRALIZED ORDERING OFFICERS||$5,907,151|
Contractor Misconduct17 Instances
This information is collected by the Project On Government Oversight from press releases, court documents, news reports and other public records. It is not meant to be an exhaustive account of all instances of federal contractor misconduct.
More information on each instance, including primary source documents, is available on POGO's site by clicking on the instance description. More information on POGO's methodology is available here.
|Misconduct Type||Hired By||Incident||Year||Disposition||Penalty|
|Labor||None||LaBrie v. UPS Supply Chain Solutions (Misclassifying Workers)||2009||Settlement||$12,800,000|
|Labor||None||Carter v. UPS (Racial Discrimination)||1999||Settlement||$12,100,000|
|Labor||None||Bates v. UPS (Disability Discrimination)||2009||Settlement||$11,050,000|
|Consumer Affairs||None||Runner v. UPS (Unfair Shipping Rate Policy)||2008||Settlement||$7,820,000|
|Health||None||Unsafe Delivery Trucks (New York Investigation)||2011||Settlement||$1,300,000|
|Labor||None||Fischer v. UPS (Retaliation)||2005||Judgment Against Defendant||$1,100,000|
|Labor||None||Anderson v. UPS (Disability Discrimination)||2010||Judgment Against Defendant||$872,490|
|Labor||None||EEOC v. UPS (Failing to Accommodate an Employee with Diabetes)||2003||Settlement||$149,999|
|Labor||None||Hoskins v. UPS (Racial/Sexual Preference Discrimination)||2005||Judgment Against Defendant||$63,670|
|Labor||None||Sobocinski v. UPS (Sexual Harassment)||2009||Judgment Against Defendant||$50,024|
EPA Violations7 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Exxon Mobil Corporation (Beede Waste Oil Superfund Site)||United Parcel Service (+94 others)||2008||Plaistow, Nh||$30,607,481|
|City Of Newburgh Et Al.||United Parcel Service (+89 others)||2011||Newburgh, Ny||$12,764,875|
|Casmalia Resources - Tier Ii De Minimis Aoc||United Parcel Service (+23 others)||2003||Casmalia, Ca||$8,168,000|
|Industrial Pollution Control (Ipc) (Cost Recovery Agmt)||United Parcel Service (Ups), Inc. An Ohio Corp. (+236 others)||2003||Jackson, Ms||$3,440,369|
|Davis Refining Corporation||United Parcel Service, Inc. (+86 others)||2006||Tallahassee, Fl||$2,542,381|
|Florida Petroleum Reprocessors||United Parcel Service (+583 others)||2004||Fort Lauderdale, Fl||$2,316,314|
|Davis Refining Site (Referral)||United Parcel Service, Inc. (Ups) (+221 others)||2007||Tallahassee, Fl||$1,704,680|
Advisory Committees61 people on 27 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "United Parcel Service" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Transportation 41 people on 6 committees
- Toggle Department of Commerce 5 people on 4 committees
- Toggle Department of Homeland Security 3 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of State 3 people on 3 committees
- Toggle National Science Foundation 2 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Small Business Administration 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Office of the United States Trade Representative 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Defense 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Labor 1 person on 1 committee