Unilever is a British-Dutch multinational corporation that owns many of the world's consumer product brands in foods, beverages, cleaning agents and personal care products.
Campaign Finance$2,320,032 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Unilever
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Unilever US $10,830,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Food Industry,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Consumer Product Safety,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Health Issues,
- Government Issues
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.510 FDA Food Safety Modernization Act H.R.759 Food and Drug Administration Globalization Act of 2009 H.R.1385 Free Market Sugar Act S.25 Stop Unfair Giveaways and Restrictions Act of 2011 S.685 Free Sugar Act of 2011 H.R.1739 Free Sugar Act of 2011 H.R.763 Safe and Efficient Transportation Act of 2011 S.747 Safe and Efficient Transportation Act of 2011 H.R.2359 Safe Cosmetics Act of 2011 S.925 Safe Baby Products Act of 2009
RegulationsMentioned in 425 dockets; Submitted to 9 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Unilever" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Unilever
- Toggle 2 PHMSA Unilever Bestfoods- Hazardous Materials - Exemption- To authorize the manufacture, mark, sale and use of a non-DOT specification, non-refillable plastic aerosol container filled with compressed gas and a non-hazardous material 2003
- Toggle 1 FDA Health Claim: Vegetable Oil Sterol Esters & Coronary Heart Disease 2000
- Toggle 1 NOAA Emergency Rule to Reduce Turtle Bycatch in the Gulf of Mexico Reef Fish Bottom Longline Fishery 2009
- Toggle 1 FDA Health Claim: Phytosterols & Reduced Risk of Coronary Heart Disease 2006
- Toggle 1 FMCSA Pilot Program on NAFTA Long-Haul Trucking Provisions 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Food and Drug Administration Amendments Act of 2007; Section 912 (Prohibition Against Food to Which Drugs or Biological Products Have Been Added) 2008
- Toggle 1 FSIS Notice of public meeting; request for comments (definition of the term 'natural') 2006
- Toggle 1 APHIS Importation of Wood Packaging Material From Canada 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Health Claim: Plant Stanol Esters and Heart Disease 2000
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Unilever
- Toggle 19 FDA Health Claim: Phytosterols & Reduced Risk of Coronary Heart Disease 2006
- Toggle 18 FDA Require Labeling of Trans Fatty Acid & Prohibit Deceptive Claims-CLOSED 1994
- Toggle 17 EPA Protection of Stratospheric Ozone: Listing of Substitutes for Ozone-Depleting Substitutes - hydrocarbons and hydrocarbon blends 2009
- Toggle 15 FDA Health Claim: Vegetable Oil Sterol Esters & Coronary Heart Disease 2000
- Toggle 13 PHMSA Unilever Bestfoods- Hazardous Materials - Exemption- To authorize the manufacture, mark, sale and use of a non-DOT specification, non-refillable plastic aerosol container filled with compressed gas and a non-hazardous material 2003
- Toggle 13 EPA TSCA Section 21 Petition on Air Fresheners; Notice of Receipt 2007
- Toggle 13 FDA Health Claim: Plant Stanol Esters and Heart Disease 2000
- Toggle 13 FDA Current Good Manufacturing Practice and Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls For Human Food 2011
- Toggle 11 FDA Health-Care Antiseptic Drug Products for Over-the-Counter (OTC) Human Use 1975
- Toggle 6 FDA Front of Pack and Shelf Tag Nutrition Symbols; Establishment of Docket; Request for Comments and Information 2010
EPA Violations2 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Abb, Inc. Et Al (Spectron Deminimis Settlement)||Bestfoods (Cpc International, Inc) (+547 others)||2003||Elkton, Md||$2,803,841|
|Pcb Treatment, Inc.||Lever Brothers Company (+381 others)||2004||Kansas City, Ks; ...||$1,916,377|
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.