Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) is an independent product safety certification organization. Established in 1894, the company has its headquarters in Northbrook, Illinois. UL develops standards and test procedures for products, materials, components, assemblies, tools and equipment, chiefly dealing with product safety. UL also evaluates and certifies the efficiency of a company’s business processes through its management system registration programs. Additionally, UL analyzes drinking and other clean water samples through its drinking water laboratory in South Bend, Indiana and evaluates products for environmental sustainability through its subsidiary, UL Environment.
Campaign Finance$5,325 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Underwriters Laboratories
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Underwriters Laboratories $880,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Consumer Product Safety,
- Food Industry,
- Chemical Industry
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.847 Safe Chemicals Act of 2011 H.R.2715 To provide the Consumer Product Safety Commission with greater authority and discretion in enforcing the consumer product safety laws, and for other purposes. H.R.1939 Enhancing CPSC Authority and Discretion Act of 2011 S.1573 Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Act, 2012
RegulationsMentioned in 101 dockets; Submitted to 5 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Underwriters Laboratories" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Underwriters Laboratories
- Toggle 1 ITA Request for Public Comments Concerning Regulatory Cooperation Activities that Would Help Eliminate or Reduce Unnecessary Regulatory Divergences in North America that Disrupt U.S. Exports 2011
- Toggle 1 EERE Energy Conservation Program: Treatment of “Smart” Appliances in Energy Conservation Standards and Test Procedures 2011
- Toggle 1 GSA GSA; General Notices 2012
- Toggle 1 OMB Development of the Joint Strategic Plan on Intellectual Property Enforcement 2012
- Toggle 1 ITA Request for Public Comments Concerning Regulatory Cooperation between the United States and the European Union that Would Help Eliminate or Reduce Unnecessary Divergences in Regulation and in Standards Used in Regulation that Impede U.S. Exports 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Underwriters Laboratories
- Toggle 18 EERE Energy Conservation Standards for General Service Fluorescent Lamps and Incandescent Reflector Lamps 2011
- Toggle 17 EPA Revising Underground Storage Tank Regulations - Revisions to existing requirements and new requirements for secondary containment and operator training 2011
- Toggle 8 EERE Energy Conservation Program for Certain Industrial Equipment: Energy Conservation Standards for Commercial Heating, Air Conditioning, and Water-Heating Equipment 2011
- Toggle 8 DOE This docket contains Federal Register Notices from the DOE FDMS Sandbox. 2012
- Toggle 8 DOE This docket contains Federal Register Notices from the DOE FDMS Sandbox. 2011
- Toggle 8 USCG Inflatable Personal Flotation Devices 2011
- Toggle 6 CPSC Table Saw Blade Contact Injuries: Request for Comments and Information 2011
- Toggle 5 EPA NPDES - Reissuance of the Vessel General Permit for Discharges Incidental to the Normal Operation of Vessels (VGP) 2011
- Toggle 4 OMB Federal Participation in the Development and Use of Voluntary Consensus Standards and in Conformity Assessment Activities 2012
- Toggle 4 EPA Methylene Diphenyl Diisocyanate (MDI) Action Plan 2011