Sutherland, Asbill & Brennan
Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP, rebranded to the abbreviated name of Sutherland , is an American law firm. Founded in 1924 by William Sutherland and Elbert Tuttle as Sutherland & Tuttle, the firm originally achieved prominence on tax issues. As of July 2010, the firm has approximately 400 attorneys in 5 cities.
Campaign Finance$2,034,037 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying Carried Out by Sutherland, Asbill & Brennan
Names of Lobbyists
Client Amount Statoil Gulf of Mexico $950,000 British Nuclear Fuels $420,000 Statoil ASA $270,000 Transocean Offshore Drilling Co $220,000 Time Warner $119,000 Notice 98-11 Deferral Group $80,000 Northwestern Mutual Life $60,000 Northwestern Mutual Life $60,000 Time Warner Cable $50,000 Gasohol de El Salvador SA $40,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Fuel, Gas & Oil,
- Marine, Boats & Fisheries,
- Natural Resources,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2419 Farm Bill Extension Act of 2007 H.R.3396 Sales Tax Fairness and Simplification Act H.R.6 Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 H.R.2643 Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2008 H.R.3221 Federal Housing Finance Reform Act of 2008 H.R.3396 Congressional Responsibility and Accountability Act
RegulationsMentioned in 95 dockets; Submitted to 12 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Sutherland, Asbill & Brennan" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Sutherland, Asbill & Brennan
- Toggle 1 CFPB Request for Information Regarding Senior Financial Exploitation 2012
- Toggle 1 IRS Tax Avoidance Transactions 2009
- Toggle 1 TREAS Determination of Foreign Exchange Swaps and Forwards 2010
- Toggle 1 DOT 2007 U.S.-China Frequency Allocation Proceeding 2006
- Toggle 1 EBSA Default Investment Alternatives Under Participant Directed Individual Account Plans 2006
- Toggle 1 Health Insurance Providers Fee 2013
- Toggle 1 OCC Volcker Rule - Prohibition on Proprietary Trading and Certain Relationships with Hedge Funds and Private Equity Funds 2011
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Pipeline Safety: Hazardous Liquid Gathering Pipelines 2003
- Toggle 1 OCC Short-Term Investment Funds 2011
- Toggle 1 IRS Payout Requirements for Type III Supporting Organizations that are not Functionally Integrated 2007
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Sutherland, Asbill & Brennan
- Toggle 25 DOT 2007 U.S.-China Frequency Allocation Proceeding 2006
- Toggle 9 FAA In the Matter of Expert-Med, Inc. - Complaint - CP03SO0012 2003
- Toggle 7 DOE This docket contains Federal Register Notices from the DOE FDMS Sandbox. 2009
- Toggle 1 Self-Regulatory Organizations; Proposed Rule Changes: Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Inc. 2013
- Toggle 1 FDA Health-Care Antiseptic Drug Products for Over-the-Counter (OTC) Human Use 1975
- Toggle 1 SEC Self-Regulatory Organizations; Proposed Rule Changes: Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Inc. 2012
- Toggle 1 FTC Prohibitions on Market Manipulation 2009
- Toggle 1 IRS Information Reporting by Foreign Financial Institutions and Withholding on Certain Payments, etc. 2012
- Toggle 1 IRS QUALIFIED STATE TUITION PROGRAMS 2008
- Toggle 1 SEC Self-regulatory organizations; proposed rule changes: NYSE Arca, Inc. 2006
Advisory Committees2 people on 2 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Sutherland, Asbill & Brennan" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Treasury 1 person on 1 committee