Sunoco Inc. (NYSE: SUN) is an American petroleum and petrochemical manufacturer headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States, formerly known as Sun Company Inc. (1886–1920 and 1976–1998) and Sun Oil Co. (1920–1976).
Campaign Finance$3,408,499 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Sunoco Inc
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Sunoco Inc $13,220,044
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Clean Air & Water,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Fuel, Gas & Oil,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Chemical Industry,
- Marine, Boats & Fisheries,
- Hazardous & Solid Waste,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.563 Domestic Energy Independence and Maritime Jobs Creation Act H.R.2454 American Clean Energy And Security Act of 2009 H.R.2401 Transparency in Regulatory Analysis of Impacts on the Nation Act of 2011 H.R.6 Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 H.R.3220 National Integrated Coastal and Ocean Observation Act of 2007 H.R.523 American Fuel Protection Act of 2011 H.R.910 Energy Tax Prevention Act of 2011 H.R.3548 North American Energy Access Act S.228 Defending America's Affordable Energy and Jobs Act S.231 EPA Stationary Source Regulations Suspension Act
RegulationsMentioned in 210 dockets; Submitted to 6 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Sunoco Inc" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Sunoco Inc
- Toggle 2 PHMSA ChemCentral - Exemption - Authorize Rail Cars to Remain Connected 2000
- Toggle 2 PHMSA Railway Progress Institute, Inc. - Hazardous Materials - Exemption - Tank Cars - Various Chemicals 1998
- Toggle 2 PHMSA Sunoco, Inc. - Exemption - Hazardous Materials - Authorize the Discharge of Division 6.1 Liquids from DOT 51 Portable Tanks 2003
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Sun Company, Inc. - Exemption - Hazardous Materials - Transportation of Class DOT 113 Tank Cars Transporting Liquid Ethylene 1998
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Aristech Chemical Corporation - Exemption - Hazardous Materials - Request of Relief from the Attendance Requirement by the CTMV Driver During Loading of Cargo Wagons 2001
- Toggle 1 TSA Flight Training For Aliens and Other Designated Individuals; Security Awareness Training for Flight School Employees 2004
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Sunoco Inc
- Toggle 75 PHMSA Railway Progress Institute, Inc. - Hazardous Materials - Exemption - Tank Cars - Various Chemicals 1998
- Toggle 32 EPA Technical Review of NSPS Subpart J 2007
- Toggle 16 EPA Clean Air Transport Rule 2009
- Toggle 15 EPA Rulemaking for the Steam Electric Power Generating Effluent Limitations Guidelines 2009
- Toggle 11 EPA Regulation of Fuels and Fuel Additives: Renewable Fuel Program 2005
- Toggle 10 EPA Criteria and Standards for Cooling Water Intake Structures 2008
- Toggle 9 EPA Pennsylvania- Regional Haze State Implementation Plan 2012
- Toggle 8 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants: Final Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Hazardous Waste Combustors (Phase I Final Replacement Standards and Phase II) 2004
- Toggle 7 EPA Effluent Guidelines Program Plan for 2004/2005. 2003
- Toggle 7 EPA Regional Haze Regulations; Revisions to Provision Governing Alternative to Source-Specific Best Available Retrofit Technology (Bart) Determinations 2002
EPA Violations12 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Sunoco, Inc, Philadelphia, Marcus Hook (National Case)(Lead)||Sunoco, Inc||2011||Marcus Hook, Pa; ...||$202,650,000|
|Sunoco, Inc., Oregon, Ohio Refinery (National Case)||Sunoco, Inc.||2010||Oregon, Oh||$54,375,000|
|Sunoco Refinery (National Case)||Sunoco Refinery||2006||Tulsa, Ok||$33,875,000|
|Sunoco Inc (R&M)||Sunoco Inc (R&M)||2009||Westville, Nj||$6,943,733|
|Mckin Superfund Site||Sun Oil Co/Sunoco Inc (+75 others)||2001||Gray, Me||$20,150,000|
|Mid-Valley Pipeline||Sunoco Pipeline L.P. (+4 others)||2008||Perry Park, Ky||$10,485,000|
|Cyprus Amax Minerals Company - Cherokee County Sf Site Ou6||Sunoco, Inc (+2 others)||2007||Crestline, Ks||$3,290,650|
|Abb, Inc. Et Al (Spectron Deminimis Settlement)||Sunoco, Inc (+547 others)||2003||Elkton, Md||$2,803,841|
|Sunoco, Inc. (R&M) And Sun Pipe Line Company||Sunoco, Inc. (R&M) (+1 others)||2005||Philadelphia, Pa||$2,742,600|
|Pcb Treatment, Inc.||Sunoco, Inc (+381 others)||2004||Kansas City, Ks; ...||$1,916,377|
Advisory Committees2 people on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.