The Sunlight Foundation is a 501(c)(3) educational organization founded in April 2006 with the goal of increasing transparency and accountability in the United States government. The foundation encourages citizen and blogger participation by aggregating existing information and digitizing new information as well as advocating for policy changes to build a more open government.
Campaign Finance$250 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars
State vs. Federalin dollars
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Sunlight Foundation
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount SUNLIGHT FOUNDATION $227,963
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Government Issues,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2339 Lobbyist Disclosure Enhancement Act S.219 Senate Campaign Disclosure Parity Act H.R.2860 Deficit Committee Transparency Act S.2219 Democracy is Strengthened by Casting Light On Spending in Elections Act of 2012 H.R.1148 STOCK bill ("STOCK Act") H.R.1974 Access to Congressionally Mandated Reports Act H.R.1473 Department of Defense and Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2011 H.R.2517 Shareholder Protection Act of 2011 S.216 Food Safety Accountability Act of 2011 S.1222 DATA Act
RegulationsMentioned in 3 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Sunlight Foundation" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Sunlight Foundation
- Toggle 2 NOAA Confidentiality of Information; Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Reauthorization Act 2012
- Toggle 1 FCC Extension of the Filing Requirement for Children's Television Programming Report: Standardized and Enhanced Disclosure Requirements for Television Broadcast Licensee Public Interest Obligations 2012
- Toggle 1 OMB Federal Participation in the Development and Use of Voluntary Consensus Standards and in Conformity Assessment Activities 2012