Southern Methodist University
Southern Methodist University (SMU) is a private university in University Park, Texas (an enclave of Dallas, Texas). Founded in 1911 by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, SMU operates campuses in University Park, Plano, and Taos, New Mexico. SMU is owned by the South Central Jurisdiction of the United Methodist Church. 6,000 of the University's 11,000 students are undergraduates.
Some of this data may be out of date
State influence data from the National Institute on Money in State Politics changed in format and availability during the 2013-2014 election cycle. While we work to integrate their new style of data release, state-level campaign finance data for the 2014 cycle and beyond will be unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience, but heartily recommend trying out their snazzy new site at FollowTheMoney.org!
Campaign Finance$282,914 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
state-level data is not available in bulk for 2014. for current state data, browse http://followthemoney.org/
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Southern Methodist University
Names of Lobbyists
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Medical Research & Clin Labs,
- Science & Technology
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2638 Border Infrastructure and Technology Modernizat
RegulationsMentioned in 126 dockets; Submitted to 7 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Southern Methodist University" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Southern Methodist University
- Toggle 1 NLRB Proposed Rules Governing Notification of Employee Rights Under the National Labor Relations Act 2010
- Toggle 1 ED Program Integrity Issues--Title IV, Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended--34 CFR Part 600, 602, 603, 668, 682, 685, 686, 690, and 691 2010
- Toggle 1 EPA Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) and Non-attainment New Source Review (NSR): Routine Maintenance,Repair and Replacement 2002
- Toggle 1 DOS Cultural Property Advisory Committee meeting - Belize 2011
- Toggle 1 DOS Notice of Receipt of Cultural Property Request From the Government of the Hellenic Republic 2010
- Toggle 1 FS Paleontological Resources Preservation 2013
- Toggle 1 IRS Payout Requirements for Type III Supporting Organizations that are not Functionally Integrated 2007
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Southern Methodist University
- Toggle 80 DOT 2007 U.S.-China Frequency Allocation Proceeding 2006
- Toggle 9 EPA Oil and Natural Gas Sector -- New Source Performance Standards, National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants, and Control Techniques Guidelines 2010
- Toggle 4 EPA General Solicitation for Data Related to Hydraulic Fracturing 2010
- Toggle 4 EPA Greenhouse Gas New Source Performance Standard for Electric Generating Units 2011
- Toggle 4 EPA AVAILABILITY OF REPORT TO CONGRESS ON CRUDE OIL, NATURAL GAS AND GEOTHERMAL ENERGY, EXPLORATION, DEVELOPMENT AND PRODUCTION WASTE; ANNOUNCEMENT OF PUBLIC HEARINGS 1988
- Toggle 4 SEC Comments on Study on Extraterritorial Private Rights of Action 2010
- Toggle 4 NLRB Proposed Rules Governing Notification of Employee Rights Under the National Labor Relations Act 2010
- Toggle 3 EPA Clean Air Transport Rule 2009
- Toggle 3 SEC Comments on Proposed Rule: Implementation of Standards of Professional Conduct for Attorneys 2002
- Toggle 3 FWS 90-Day Finding on a Petition To List All Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) as Endagered 2010
Southern Methodist University:
Hi-Tech Eyes for the Battlefield
Federal Spending33 grants; 7 contracts; 3 loans
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Southern Methodist University||2003||Office Of Educational Research And Improvement||NATIONAL INSTITITUE FOR STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT, CURRICULUM AND ASSESSMENT - INTERAGENCY EDUCATION RESEARCH INITIATIVE (IERI)||$5,999,744|
|Southern Methodist University Inc||2010||Energy, Department Of||TAS::89 0331::TAS RECOVERY RECOVERY ACT: GEOTHERMAL DATA AGGREGATION: SUBMISSION OF INFORMATION INTO THE NATIONAL GEOTHERMAL DATA SYSTEM||$5,250,000|
|Southern Methodist University Inc||2010||SERVICES - LABOR (O&M)||$2,131,039|
|Southern Methodist University||2006||Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa)||COLLABORATION ON NANOTECHNOLOGY||$2,018,000|
|Southern Methodist University Inc||2011||Student Financial Assistance Programs||GRANT PROGRAM||$1,732,812|
|Southern Methodist University Inc||2011||Education, Department Of||GRANT PROGRAM||$1,732,431|
|Southern Methodist University Inc||2013||Education, Department Of||GRANT PROGRAM||$1,731,852|
|Southern Methodist University Inc||2012||Education, Department Of||GRANT PROGRAM||$1,642,345|
|Southern Methodist University||2007||EXERCISE OPTION 1 - ADD FUNDING.||$1,595,479|
|Southern Methodist University||2006||$1,584,672|
Advisory Committees107 people on 51 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Southern Methodist University" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle National Science Foundation 75 people on 38 committees
- Toggle National Endowment for the Humanities 19 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 7 people on 7 committees
- Toggle National Endowment for the Arts 4 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of State 2 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Labor 1 person on 1 committee