Society of the Plastics Industry
Founded in 1937, The Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc. is the trade association representing one of the largest manufacturing industries in the United States. SPI's members represent the entire plastics industry supply chain in the US, including processors, machinery and equipment manufacturers and raw materials suppliers. The US plastics industry employs 1.1 million workers and provides more than $379 billion in annual shipments (2006).
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2010 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars
State vs. Federalin dollars
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Society of the Plastics Industry
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Society of the Plastics Industry $375,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Food Industry,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Health Issues,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Small Business
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1409 Employee Free Choice Act of 2009 S.560 Employee Free Choice Act of 2009 S.3209 Safe Chemicals Act of 2010 H.R.2454 American Clean Energy And Security Act of 2009 S.510 FDA Food Safety Modernization Act S.1733 Green Taxis Act of 2009 H.R.5820 Toxic Chemicals Safety Act of 2010 H.R.2997 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2010 H.R.5297 Small Business Jobs and Credit Act of 2010 S.1406 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2010
RegulationsMentioned in 48 dockets; Submitted to 19 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Society of the Plastics Industry" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Society of the Plastics Industry
- Toggle 2 OSHA Musculoskeletal Disorder (MSD) Column 2009
- Toggle 2 USTR Request for Public Comments to Compile the National Trade Estimate Report on Foreign Trade Barriers and Reports on Sanitary and Phytosanitary and Standards-Related Foreign Trade Barriers (Standards-Related Measures) 2009
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for Comments Concerning Free Trade Agreement With the Republic of Korea 2009
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for Comments on Proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership Trade Agreement 2009
- Toggle 1 DOE Energy Efficiency and Sustainable Design Standards for New Federal Buildings (See also EERE-2006-BC-0108) [Legacy ID EE-RM/STD-02-112] 2010
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Principles for Considering Whether an FDA-Regulated Product Involves the Application of Nanotechnology; Availability 2010
- Toggle 1 OSHA Combustible Dust 2009
- Toggle 1 ITA Request for Public Comment on the Scope of Viewpoints Represented on the Industry Trade Advisory Committees 2010
- Toggle 1 CPSC Notice of Workshop on Product Testing 2009
- Toggle 1 OSHA OSHA Recordkeeping NAICS Update and Reporting Revision 2010
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Society of the Plastics Industry
- Toggle 7 EPA EPA/NHTSA Joint Rulemaking to Establish Light-duty Vehicle GHG Emissions Standards and CAFE Standards for Model Year 2017 and Later 2010
- Toggle 4 EPA Testing of Certain High Production Volume Chemicals;Test Rule and Significant New Use Rule; Fourth Group of Chemicals 2010
- Toggle 4 EPA Testing of Certain High Production Volume Chemicals; Third Group of Chemicals 2009
- Toggle 3 EPA EPA/NHTSA Joint Rulemaking to Establish Light-duty Vehicle GHG Emissions Standards and CAFE Standards 2009
- Toggle 3 NHTSA Corporate Average Fuel Economy -- Model Years 2017-2025 2010
- Toggle 3 EPA Proposed Endangerment Finding for Greenhouse Gases under the Clean Air Act (CAA) 2009
- Toggle 3 EPA TSCA Inventory Update Reporting Modifications; Chemical Data Reporting 2009
- Toggle 2 EPA Proposed Significant New Use Rules on Certain Chemical Substances 2010
- Toggle 2 OSHA Musculoskeletal Disorder (MSD) Column 2009
- Toggle 2 OSHA Combustible Dust 2009
Advisory Committees3 people on 2 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Society of the Plastics Industry" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Commerce 2 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Labor 1 person on 1 committee