Smithfield Foods, Inc. is the world’s largest pork producer and processor. Headquartered in Smithfield, Virginia, it runs facilities in 26 U.S. states, including the world's largest meat-processing plant in Tar Heel, North Carolina, and has operations in Brazil, China, France, Mexico, Poland, Romania, Spain, and the United Kingdom.
Campaign Finance$4,171,259 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Smithfield Foods
Names of Lobbyists
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Clean Air & Water,
- Fuel, Gas & Oil,
- Food Industry,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1429 Improving Head Start for School Readiness Act of 2007 H.R.6049 Energy and Tax Extenders Act of 2008 H.R.7060 Renewable Energy and Job Creation Tax Act of 2008 H.R.1424 S.493 SBIR/STTR Reauthorization Act of 2011 H.R.1424 Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007 H.R.2751 FDA Food Safety Modernization Act H.R.4853 Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 S.510 FDA Food Safety Modernization Act
RegulationsMentioned in 76 dockets; Submitted to 7 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Smithfield Foods" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Smithfield Foods
- Toggle 2 FSIS Non-Ambulatory Disabled Veal Calves and Other Non-Ambulatory Disabled Livestock at Slaughter; Petitions for Rulemaking 2010
- Toggle 1 FSIS Changes to the Schedule of Operations Regulations 2010
- Toggle 1 APHIS Importation of Live Swine, Swine Semen, Pork and Pork Products from the Czech Republic, Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland 2006
- Toggle 1 FSIS Product Name Requirements for Raw Meat and Poultry Products Containing Added Solutions (Enhanced Meat and Poultry Products) 2010
- Toggle 1 IRS User Fees Relating to Enrollment and Preparer Tax Identification Numbers 2010
- Toggle 1 USTR Section 301 EC Beef Hormones Dispute 2008
- Toggle 1 GIPSA Implementation of Regulations Required Under Title XI of the Food, Conservation and Energy Act of 2008; Conduct in Violation of the Act 2010
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Smithfield Foods
- Toggle 274 GIPSA Implementation of Regulations Required Under Title XI of the Food, Conservation and Energy Act of 2008; Conduct in Violation of the Act 2010
- Toggle 36 EPA National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Permit Regulation and Effluent Limitations Guidelines and Standards for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs). 2002
- Toggle 17 EPA Effluent Limitations Guidelines and New Source Performance Standards for the Meat and Poultry Products Point Source Category. 2002
- Toggle 17 EPA National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Permit Regulation and Effluent Limitation Guidelines and Standards for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs) 2005
- Toggle 15 EPA Greenhouse Gas Mandatory Reporting 2008
- Toggle 8 EPA CERCLA/EPCRA Administrative Reporting Exemption for Air Releases of Hazardous Substances from Animal Waste 2007
- Toggle 8 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Industrial/ Commercial, and Institutional Boilers and Process Heaters 2002
- Toggle 5 EPA NESHAP for Industrial, Commercial, and Institutional Boiler Area Sources 2006
- Toggle 5 EPA Request for Comment on Letters Seeking a Waiver of the Renewable Fuel Standard 2012
- Toggle 3 EPA Alabama Open Burning / Opacity Revision 2005
Advisory Committees2 people on 2 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Smithfield Foods" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Environmental Protection Agency 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Agriculture 1 person on 1 committee