The Sherwin-Williams Company (NYSE: SHW) is an American Fortune 500 company in the general building materials industry. The company primarily engages in the manufacture, distribution, and sale of paints, coatings and related products to professional, industrial, commercial, and retail customers primarily in North and South America. The company is mostly known through its Sherwin-Williams Paints line.
Campaign Finance$431,686 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Sherwin-Williams Co
Names of Lobbyists
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Chemical Industry,
- Consumer Product Safety,
- Health Issues
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.2009 H.R.3024 Healthy Children and Families Act of 2007 H.R.5576 Transportation, Treasury, Housing and Urban Development, the Judiciary, the District of Columbia and Independent Agencies Appropriations Act, 2007 S.1789 Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2008
RegulationsMentioned in 163 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Sherwin-Williams Co" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Sherwin-Williams Co
- Toggle 18 EPA Metal Fabrication Area Sources 2006
- Toggle 14 EPA Post-1996 and Post-1999 Rate-of-Progress Plans, Contingency Measures, Transportation Control Measures, VMT Offset, and 1990 Base Year Inventory for the Metropolitan Washington DC 1-Hour Ozone Nonattainment Area 2004
- Toggle 10 PHMSA The Sherwin- Williams Company - Exemption - Marking, Labeling, Placarding, and Shipping Paper Requirements for Intra Plant Shipments 1998
- Toggle 10 EPA National Priorities List; Notice of Proposed Rulemaking: Sherwin-Williams/Hilliards Creek Site; Region 2, Gibbsboro, NJ 2006
- Toggle 7 EPA Hazardous Waste Management System; Identification and Listing of Hazardous Waste; Paint Production Wastes; Land Disposal Restrictions for Newly Identified Wastes; CERCLA Hazardous Substance Designation and Reportable Quantities 2001
- Toggle 7 EPA Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Emission Standards for AIM Coatings 2004
- Toggle 6 EPA Testing of Certain High Production Volume Chemicals 2005
- Toggle 5 EPA Paint and Allied Products Manufacturing 2008
- Toggle 5 EPA National Oil and Hazardous Substances Pollution Contingency Plan; The National Priorities List for Uncontrolled Hazardous Wastes Sites; Final Rule 55 FR 35502 (8/30/90); Administrative Record 1990
- Toggle 4 EPA Attainment Demonstration for the Metropolitan Washington DC Ozone Nonattainment Area 2004
|2010||$2,000,000||Sherwin-Williams Co: PaintShield for Protecting People from Microbial Threats|
|2008||$1,600,000||Sherwin-Williams Co: Chemical, Smoke and Equipment Defeating Technology -- Paint Shield for Protecting People from Microbial Threats|
EPA Violations12 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Alliance Chemical Inc Et Al.||Sherwin-Williams Company (The) (+71 others)||2007||Newark, Nj||$37,000,000|
|Alcan Corporation||Sherwin Williams Co. (THE) (+81 others)||2007||Newark, Nj||$13,150,000|
|American Standard Inc., Et Al. (Avery Dennison Corp.)||The Sherwin-Williams Company (+42 others)||2008||Camden, Nj||$9,539,092|
|Third Site Admin Order On Consent (Cercla)||The Sherwin-Williams Corporation (+85 others)||2003||Zionsville, In||$3,100,000|
|Abb, Inc. Et Al (Spectron Deminimis Settlement)||Sherwin-Williams Company (The) (+547 others)||2003||Elkton, Md||$2,803,841|
|Calumet Containter Admin Order On Consent (Cercla)||The Sherwin Williams1 Company (+50 others)||2006||Hammond, In||$2,784,520|
|Chemical Recovery Consent Decree (Cercla)||The Sherwin Williams Company (+42 others)||2010||Elyria, Oh||$2,575,000|
|I.W.I. Industries Wellco Section 107 Litigation (Cercla)||The Sherwin Williams Company (+23 others)||2008||Summit, Il||$2,099,852|
|Constitution Road Drum Site||Sherwin-Williams Company (+102 others)||2006||Atlanta, Ga||$2,072,339|
|Sutton Brook Disposal Area Superfund Site||Sherwin Williams Company The (+24 others)||2004||Tewksbury, Ma||$2,000,000|