Royal Dutch Shell
Royal Dutch Shell plc (LSE: RDSA, LSE: RDSB), commonly known as Shell, is a global oil and gas company headquartered in The Hague, Netherlands and with its registered office at the Shell Centre in London, United Kingdom. It is the largest energy company and the second-largest company in the world measured by revenues and is one of the six oil and gas "supermajors". It is vertically-integrated and is active in every area of the oil and gas industry, including exploration and production, refining, distribution and marketing, petrochemicals, power generation and trading. It also has major renewable energy activities, including in biofuels, hydrogen, solar and wind power.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's December 31, 2010 filing.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Royal Dutch Shell
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Shell Oil $20,160,000 Shell Oil $20,160,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Marine, Boats & Fisheries,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Fuel, Gas & Oil,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Clean Air & Water,
- Natural Resources,
- Government Issues
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.1215 Fracturing Responsibility and Awareness of Chemicals (FRAC) Act H.R.1508 Sunshine in Litigation Act of 2009 S.537 Sunshine in Litigation Act of 2009 H.R.1 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 S.458 False Claims Act Clarification Act of 2009 H.R.1020 Arbitration Fairness Act of 2009 H.R.1105 Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2009 H.R.1788 False Claims Act Correction Act of 2009 S.455 Five-Star Generals Commemorative Coin Act S.5 Cleaner, Greener, and Smarter Act of 2009
RegulationsMentioned in 153 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Royal Dutch Shell" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Royal Dutch Shell
- Toggle 20 EPA Oil and Natural Gas Sector -- New Source Performance Standards, National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants, and Control Techniques Guidelines 2010
- Toggle 13 FWS Critical Habitat for the Polar Bear 2009
- Toggle 11 EPA Clean Air Transport Rule 2009
- Toggle 10 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutant Emissions: Hard and Decorative Chromium Electroplating and Chromium Anodizing Tanks; Group I Polymers and Resins; Marine Tank Vessel Loading Operations; Pharmaceuticals Production; The Printing and Publishing Industry; and Steel Pickling--HCl Process Facilities and Hydrochloric Acid Regeneration Plants 2010
- Toggle 8 NHTSA Notice of Intent to Prepare an Environmental Impact Statement for New Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards 2009
- Toggle 6 EPA 40 CFR part 65, Subpart J - National Uniform Emission Standards for Equipment Leaks and Ancillary Systems 2010
- Toggle 6 EPA Hazardous Waste Management System: Identification and Listing of Hazardous Waste: Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Injectate in Geological Sequestration Activities 2010
- Toggle 5 NHTSA Notice of Intent to Prepare an Environmental Impact Statement for New Medium and Heavy Duty Fuel Efficiency Improvement Program 2010
- Toggle 5 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Coal- and Oil-fired Electric Utility Steam Generating Units 2009
- Toggle 5 EPA Prevention of Significant Deterioration/Title V Greenhouse Gas Tailoring Rule 2009
Contractor Misconduct10 Instances
This information is collected by the Project On Government Oversight from press releases, court documents, news reports and other public records. It is not meant to be an exhaustive account of all instances of federal contractor misconduct.
More information on each instance, including primary source documents, is available on POGO's site by clicking on the instance description. More information on POGO's methodology is available here.
|Misconduct Type||Hired By||Incident||Year||Disposition||Penalty|
|Non-governmental Contract Fraud||Non-Governmental||Atallah vs. Equilon Enterprises (Fraud)||2010||Judgment Against Defendant||$51,650,000|
|Ethics||None||Panalpina Group Foreign Bribery: DOJ Investigation||2010||Deferred Prosecution Agreement||$30,000,000|
|Environment||None||Environmental Violations at California Gas Stations||2009||Judgment Against Defendant||$19,500,000|
|Ethics||None||Panalpina Group Foreign Bribery: SEC Investigation||2010||Settlement||$18,149,459|
|Human Rights||None||Human Rights Violations in Nigeria||2009||Settlement||$15,500,000|
|Environment||None||Shell Chemical/Shell Chemical Yabucoa Clean Air Act Settlements||2010||Settlement||$9,500,000|
|Environment||None||Clean Water Act Violations in Puerto Rico||2009||Settlement||$1,298,800|
|Environment||None||Brazil Chemical Facility Contamination||2010||Fine||$0|
|Import/Export||None||Philippines Excise Duties Lawsuit||2010||Pending||$0|
EPA Violations8 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Shell Chemical, Lp (National Case)||Shell Chemical, Lp||2010||Saraland, Al||$5,109,900|
|Shell Chemical - St. Rose (National Case)(Lead)||Shell Chemical - St. Rose||2010||Saint Rose, La||$2,790,100|
|Shell Chemical Yabucoa||Shell Chemical Yabucoa, Inc.||2009||Yabucoa, Pr||$1,298,000|
|Hartford Area Hydrocarbon Site||Shell Oil Company (+4 others)||2010||Hartford, Il||$10,000,000|
|Cooper Drum Superfund Site Uao For Rd/Ra||Shell Oil Company (+42 others)||2009||South Gate, Ca||$9,066,848|
|American Standard, Inc. Et Al.||Shell Oil Company (+6 others)||2010||South Brunswick, Nj||$4,560,000|
|Old Southington Landfill Superfund Site||Shell Oil Companies (+4 others)||2009||Southington, Ct||$4,500,000|
|Shell Chemical Yabucoa, Inc.||Shell Chemical Yabucoa, Inc. (+1 others)||2010||Yabucoa, Pr||$1,750,000|