Service Employees International Union
Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is a labor union representing about 1.8 million workers in over 100 occupations in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. SEIU is focused on organizing workers in three sectors: health care (over half of the union's members work in the health care field), including hospital, home care and nursing home workers; public services (local and state government employees); and property services (including janitors, security officers and food service workers).
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's January 24, 2011 filing. independent expenditures updated daily.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Independent Expendituresmoney spent supporting or opposing a candidate
Candidate Support/Oppose Total Spent Barack ObamaSupport $8,825,127 Mitt RomneyOppose $4,999,578 Sherrod BrownSupport $1,397,847 Tammy BaldwinSupport $1,001,390 George AllenOppose $905,871 Tim KaineSupport $871,525 Tommy G. ThompsonOppose $810,505 Josh MandelOppose $777,783 Shelley BerkleySupport $773,568 Steven Alexzander HorsfordSupport $569,761
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Service Employees International Union
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Service Employees International Union $2,494,857
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Economics & Econ Development,
- Family, Abortion & Adoption,
- Government Issues
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title S.299 Regulations From the Executive in Need of Scrutiny Act of 2011 S.1606 Regulatory Accountability Act of 2011 H.R.8 Job Protection and Recession Prevention Act of 2012 H.R.10 REINS Act H.R.1834 Freedom to Invest Act of 2011 H.R.3010 Regulatory Accountability Act of 2011 H.R.2587 Protecting Jobs From Government Interference Act S.J.RES.36 A joint resolution providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the rule submitted by the National Labor Relations Board relating to representation election procedures. H.R.1 Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2011
RegulationsMentioned in 47 dockets; Submitted to 13 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Service Employees International Union" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Service Employees International Union
- Toggle 2 FNS Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program: Review of Major Changes in Program Design and Management Evaluation Systems 2011
- Toggle 2 IRS Health Insurance Premium Assistance Credit 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Food Labeling; Calorie Labeling of Articles of Food in Vending Machines 2011
- Toggle 2 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Food Labeling; Nutrition Labeling of Standard Menu Items in Restaurants and Similar Retail Food Establishments 2011
- Toggle 1 HHS Exchange Functions in the Individual Market: Eligibility Determinations; Standards for Verification of Employer-Sponsored Health Coverage, Employer Appeals, and Employer SHOP Participation 2011
- Toggle 1 HHS Establishment of Exchanges and Qualified Health Plans 2011
- Toggle 1 Procedures for the Handling of Retaliation Complaints under Section 1558 of the Affordable Care Act of 2010 2011
- Toggle 1 ETA Temporary Non-agricultural Employment of H-2B Aliens in the United States 2011
- Toggle 1 OSHA National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health (NACOSH) 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Service Employees International Union
- Toggle 56 FNS Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program: Review of Major Changes in Program Design and Management Evaluation Systems 2011
- Toggle 37 WHD Application of the Fair Labor Standards Act to Domestic Service 2011
- Toggle 13 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 5 CMS Medicaid Program; Eligibility Changes under the Affordable Care Act of 2010 (CMS-2349-P) 2011
- Toggle 5 IRS Health Insurance Premium Assistance Credit 2011
- Toggle 5 LMSO Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act; Interpretation of the "Advice" Exemption 2011
- Toggle 4 USCIS Provisional Unlawful Presence Waivers of Inadmissibility for Certain Immediate Relatives 2012
- Toggle 4 CMS Exchanges Part II--Standards Related to Essential Health Benefits; Health Insurance Issuer and Exchange Responsibilities with Respect to Actuarial Value, Quality, and Accreditation CMS-9980-P 2012
- Toggle 4 HHS Exchange Functions in the Individual Market: Eligibility Determinations; Standards for Verification of Employer-Sponsored Health Coverage, Employer Appeals, and Employer SHOP Participation 2011
- Toggle 3 FDA Food Labeling; Calorie Labeling of Articles of Food in Vending Machines 2011
Advisory Committees3 people on 3 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Service Employees International Union" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Labor 3 people on 3 committees