Service Employees International Union
Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is a labor union representing about 1.8 million workers in over 100 occupations in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. SEIU is focused on organizing workers in three sectors: health care (over half of the union's members work in the health care field), including hospital, home care and nursing home workers; public services (local and state government employees); and property services (including janitors, security officers and food service workers).
Campaign Finance$275,880,889 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Service Employees International Union
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Service Employees International Union $15,295,112 1199SEIU Healthcare Education Project $831,702 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East $36,232
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Government Issues,
- Economics & Econ Development
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1621 Community Choice Act of 2007 S.799 Community Choice Act of 2007 H.R.1751 American Dream Act S.729 Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2009 H.R.1 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 H.R.1935 H.R.6331 Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act of 2008 S.1606 Regulatory Accountability Act of 2011 S.2641 Nursing Home Transparency and Improvement Act of 2008 H.R.1984 401(k) Fair Disclosure for Retirement Security Act of 2009
RegulationsMentioned in 258 dockets; Submitted to 41 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Service Employees International Union" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Service Employees International Union
- Toggle 2 FNS Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program: Review of Major Changes in Program Design and Management Evaluation Systems 2011
- Toggle 2 IRS Health Insurance Premium Assistance Credit 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Food Labeling; Calorie Labeling of Articles of Food in Vending Machines 2011
- Toggle 2 WHD Updating Regulations Issued Under the Fair Labor Standards Act 2008
- Toggle 2 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 2 FDA Food Labeling; Nutrition Labeling of Standard Menu Items in Restaurants and Similar Retail Food Establishments 2011
- Toggle 2 TREAS Regulations Pertaining to the Mergers, Acquisitions, and Takeovers by Foreign Persons 2008
- Toggle 1 USTR Request for Comments Concerning Free Trade Agreement With the Republic of Colombia 2009
- Toggle 1 Child Care and Development Fund Program 2013
- Toggle 1 OSHA Infectious Diseases 2010
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Service Employees International Union
- Toggle 56 FNS Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program: Review of Major Changes in Program Design and Management Evaluation Systems 2011
- Toggle 37 WHD Application of the Fair Labor Standards Act to Domestic Service 2011
- Toggle 17 OSHA ASBESTOS REMAND 2006
- Toggle 15 Frank Drum - Complaint Against Southwest Airlines Co. and PrimeFlight Airlines Services 2013
- Toggle 13 EPA California State Motor Vehicle Pollution Control Standards - Request for Waiver of Preemption Under Clean Air Act Section 209(b) for Greenhouse Gas Emissions 2006
- Toggle 13 Onetha McKnight, Nikisha Watson, Isaura Ferrnandez and Dan Hernandez - Complaint Against - US Airways, Inc. and PrimeFlight Airline Services 2013
- Toggle 13 EPA Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs); Reassessment of Use Authorizations 2009
- Toggle 13 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 12 Kyla Thorington, Henry Carter, John Stewart and Shante Smith - Complaint Against United Air Lines, Inc. and PrimeFlight Airline Services 2013
- Toggle 12 OSHA WALKING/WORKING SURFACES (SUB PART I - FALL PROTECTION) 2006
Advisory Committees8 people on 7 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Service Employees International Union" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Labor 6 people on 4 committees
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 3 people on 3 committees