Sanofi-Aventis, headquartered in Paris, France, is a multinational pharmaceutical company, the world's fourth-largest by prescription sales. Sanofi-Aventis engages in the research and development, manufacturing and marketing of pharmaceutical products for sale principally in the prescription market, but the firm also develops over-the-counter medication. Sanofi-Aventis covers 7 major therapeutic areas: cardiovascular, central nervous system, diabetes, internal medicine, oncology, thrombosis and vaccines (it is the world's largest producer of the latter through its subsidiary Sanofi Pasteur). The company is a full member of the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA).
Some of this data may be out of date
State influence data from the National Institute on Money in State Politics changed in format and availability during the 2013-2014 election cycle. While we work to integrate their new style of data release, state-level campaign finance data for the 2014 cycle and beyond will be unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience, but heartily recommend trying out their snazzy new site at FollowTheMoney.org!
Campaign Finance$5,331,910 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
state-level data is not available in bulk for 2014. for current state data, browse http://followthemoney.org/
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Sanofi-Aventis
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Sanofi-Aventis $32,481,122 Aventis Pharmaceuticals $5,484,712 Sanofi-Pasteur Inc $3,840,000 Aventis Pasteur USA $1,860,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Medicare & Medicaid,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Medical Research & Clin Labs,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Law Enforcement & Crime,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.3590 Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 S.515 Patent Reform Act of 2009 S.369 Preserve Access to Affordable Generics Act H.R.1260 Patent Reform Act of 2009 S.1695 Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2007 H.R.422 (Unknown) H.R.3162 Children's Health and Medicare Protection Act of 2007 S.1082 Medical Device User Fee Amendments of 2007 H.R.1706 Protecting Consumer Access to Generic Drugs Act of 2009 H.R.3200 America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009
RegulationsMentioned in 398 dockets; Submitted to 97 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Sanofi-Aventis" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Sanofi-Aventis
- Toggle 4 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry Describing Product-Specific Bioequivalence Recommendations 2007
- Toggle 3 FDA Take Special Consideration When Reviewing any Application for a Generic Version of AMBIEN CR (Zolpidem Tartrate Extended-Release Tablets) 2007
- Toggle 3 FDA Use of Medication Guides to Distribute Drug Risk Information to Patients; Public Hearing 2007
- Toggle 2 FDA International Conference on Harmonisation; Draft Guidance on E15 Terminology in Pharmacogenomics 2006
- Toggle 2 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry on Providing Regulatory Submissions in Electronic Format- Receipt Date 2007
- Toggle 2 FDA Patent Term Extension Application for MULTAQ® (dronedarone hydrochloride), New Drug Application (NDA) No. 22-245, U.S. Patent No. 5,223,510 2010
- Toggle 2 FDA Amendment to the Current Good Manufacturing Practice Regulations for Finished Pharmaceuticals; Companion Document to the Direct Final Rule 2007
- Toggle 2 FDA Supplemental Applications Proposing Labeling Changes for Approved Drugs, Biologics, and Medical Devices 2008
- Toggle 2 FDA Drug-Induced Liver Injury: Premarketing Clinical Evaluation;Draft Guidance 2007
- Toggle 1 FDA Guidance for Industry on Good Reprint Practices for the Distribution of Medical Journal Articles and Medical or Scientific Reference Publications on Unapproved New Uses of Approved Drugs and Approved or Cleared Medical Devices 2008
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Sanofi-Aventis
- Toggle 107 FDA Bulk Drug Substances That May Be Used to Compound Drug Products in Accordance With Section 503B of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, Concerning Outsourcing Facilities; Request for Nominations 2013
- Toggle 9 FDA Take Special Consideration When Reviewing any Application for a Generic Version of AMBIEN CR (Zolpidem Tartrate Extended-Release Tablets) 2007
- Toggle 8 FDA Patent Term Extension Application for MULTAQ® (dronedarone hydrochloride), New Drug Application (NDA) No. 22-245, U.S. Patent No. 5,223,510 2010
- Toggle 8 CMS Medicare Program; Accountable Care Organizations and the Medicare Shared Saving Program 2010
- Toggle 8 FDA Bulk Drug Substances That May Be Used to Compound Drug Products in Accordance With Section 503A of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act; Request for Nominations 2013
- Toggle 8 FDA Require ANDA Applicant for Generic of Eloxatin Solution as Reference Drug to Perform Clinical Testing-CLOSED 2006
- Toggle 8 FDA Promotion of FDA-Regulated Medical Products Using the Internet and Social Media Tools; Notice of Public Hearing 2009
- Toggle 7 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry Describing Product-Specific Bioequivalence Recommendations 2007
- Toggle 6 FDA Withhold Approval of Generic Lovenox (Enoxaparin Sodium Inject) 2003
- Toggle 6 FDA Patent Term Extension Application for MULTAQ® (dronedarone hydrochloride), U.S. Patent No. 7,323,493 2010
Contractor Misconduct9 Instances
This information is collected by the Project On Government Oversight from press releases, court documents, news reports and other public records. It is not meant to be an exhaustive account of all instances of federal contractor misconduct.
More information on each instance, including primary source documents, is available on POGO's site by clicking on the instance description. More information on POGO's methodology is available here.
|Misconduct Type||Hired By||Incident||Year||Disposition||Penalty|
|Health||None||Fraudulent Pricing of Anzemet||2007||Settlement||$190,433,326|
|Government Contract Fraud||None||Misreporting Prices for Nasal Sprays||2009||Settlement||$95,500,000|
|Antitrust||None||Vitamin Cartel - EU Fine||2001||Fine||$4,000,000|
|Health||None||FDA Inspection of Frankfurt, Germany Facility||2011||Investigative Finding||$0|
|Antitrust||None||Failure to Report Ambien Patent Agreements||2011||Investigative Finding||$0|
|Health||None||FDA Inspection of Bridgewater, NJ Facility||2011||Investigative Finding||$0|
|Labor||None||Bellifemine v. Sanofi-Aventis (Gender Discrimination)||2007||Pending||$0|
|Health||International||Vitamin Cartel - Australian Class Action||2006||Settlement||$0|
|Health||None||Cardizem CD Settlement||2005||Settlement||$0|
EPA Violations2 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Lwd, Inc.||Hoescst Celanese (+84 others)||2007||Calvert City, Ky||$10,000,000|
|Aqua-Tech Environmental, Inc. (Prn)||Hoechst (Fka Celanese; Nka Cna Holdings, Inc.) (+169 others)||2006||Greer, Sc||$9,170,528|
Advisory Committees2 people on 2 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Sanofi-Aventis" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle National Science Foundation 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Veterans Affairs 1 person on 1 committee