Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's third largest supermarket chain, with, as of December 29, 2007, 1743 stores located throughout the western and central United States and western Canada. It also operates some stores in the Mid-Atlantic region of the Eastern Seaboard. The company is headquartered in Pleasanton, California. Supermarket News ranked Safeway No. 4 in the 2007 "Top 75 North American Food Retailers" based on 2006 fiscal year estimated sales of $40.5 billion. Based on 2005 revenue, Safeway is the tenth largest retailer in the United States.
Some of this data may be out of date
State influence data from the National Institute on Money in State Politics changed in format and availability during the 2013-2014 election cycle. While we work to integrate their new style of data release, state-level campaign finance data for the 2014 cycle and beyond will be unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience, but heartily recommend trying out their snazzy new site at FollowTheMoney.org!
Campaign Finance$9,169,286 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
state-level data is not available in bulk for 2014. for current state data, browse http://followthemoney.org/
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Safeway Inc
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Safeway Inc $11,064,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Health Issues,
- Food Industry,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Law Enforcement & Crime,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.3590 Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 H.R.3962 Affordable Health Care for America Act H.R.3370 Medicare Quality Enhancement Act of 2007 S.1544 Medicare Quality Enhancement Act of 2007 S.510 FDA Food Safety Modernization Act
RegulationsMentioned in 441 dockets; Submitted to 29 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Safeway Inc" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Safeway Inc
- Toggle 4 FHWA Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) Compliance Dates 2010
- Toggle 3 SEC President's Working Group Report on Money Market Fund Reform (Request for Comment) 2010
- Toggle 3 OSHA ERGONOMICS PROGRAM 2006
- Toggle 2 SEC Comments on Proposed Rule: Prohibitions and Restrictions on Proprietary Trading and Certain Interests in, and Relationships With, Hedge Funds and Private Equity Funds 2011
- Toggle 2 SEC Comments on Proposed Rule: Money Market Fund Reform 2009
- Toggle 2 OSHA ERGONOMICS PROGRAM 2006
- Toggle 1 OSHA OREGON STATE PLAN 2006
- Toggle 1 IRS Shared Responsibility for Employers Regarding Health Coverage 2013
- Toggle 1 SEC Comments on Proposed Rule: Revisions To Accelerated Filer Definition Deadlines For Filing Periodic Reports 2005
- Toggle 1 AMS Mandatory Country of Origin Labeling of Beef, Lamb, Pork, Fish, Perishable Agricultural Commodities, and Peanuts 2007
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Safeway Inc
- Toggle 56 FDA 30-Day Structure Function Claim Notification Letters Dietary_2012 re FDA-1997-S-0039 2012
- Toggle 15 EPA Effluent Guidelines and Standards for the Airport Deicing Category 2004
- Toggle 12 SEC President's Working Group Report on Money Market Fund Reform (Request for Comment) 2010
- Toggle 10 EPA National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Permit Regulation and Effluent Limitations Guidelines and Standards for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs). 2002
- Toggle 10 OSHA ERGONOMICS PROGRAM 2006
- Toggle 7 SEC Comments on Proposed Rule: Money Market Fund Reform 2009
- Toggle 7 SEC Comments on Proposed Rule: Facilitating Shareholder Director Nominations 2009
- Toggle 6 EPA Protection of Stratospheric Ozone: Adjustments to the Allowance System for Controlling HCFC Production, Import, and Export (2015-2019) 2013
- Toggle 6 APHIS Okanagan Specialty Fruits Inc.; Availabillity of Petition for Determination of Nonregulated Status for ArcticTM Apple Events GD743 and GS784 2012
- Toggle 6 FDA Deeming Tobacco Products To Be Subject to the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, as Amended by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act; Regulations on the Sale and Distribution of Tobacco Products and Required Warning Statements for Tobacco Products 2014
Federal Spending1 contract
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Safeway Inc||2001||Agricultural Stabilization And Conservation Service||$3,484,000|
EPA Violations1 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Casmalia - De Minimis Aoc||Safeway Stores, Inc. (+191 others)||2004||Casmalia, Ca||$11,900,000|
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.