Royal Dutch Shell
Royal Dutch Shell plc (LSE: RDSA, LSE: RDSB), commonly known as Shell, is a global oil and gas company headquartered in The Hague, Netherlands and with its registered office at the Shell Centre in London, United Kingdom. It is the largest energy company and the second-largest company in the world measured by revenues and is one of the six oil and gas "supermajors". It is vertically-integrated and is active in every area of the oil and gas industry, including exploration and production, refining, distribution and marketing, petrochemicals, power generation and trading. It also has major renewable energy activities, including in biofuels, hydrogen, solar and wind power.
Campaign Finance$1,408,872 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Royal Dutch Shell
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Shell Oil $85,858,339 Shell Oil $85,858,339 Texaco $180,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Fuel, Gas & Oil,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Marine, Boats & Fisheries,
- Natural Resources,
- Clean Air & Water,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Chemical Industry
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.3010 Arbitration Fairness Act of 2007 S.1782 Arbitration Fairness Act of 2007 S.2449 Sunshine in Litigation Act of 2007 H.R.6 Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 S.1215 Fracturing Responsibility and Awareness of Chemicals (FRAC) Act S.2041 False Claims Act Correction Act of 2007 H.R.1508 Sunshine in Litigation Act of 2009 S.537 Sunshine in Litigation Act of 2009 H.R.1 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 H.R.3013 Attorney-Client Privilege Act of 2007
RegulationsMentioned in 888 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Royal Dutch Shell" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Royal Dutch Shell
- Toggle 840 USCG Safety/Security Assessment: Proposed Broadwater LNG Facility 2005
- Toggle 137 EPA National Oil and Hazardous Substances Pollution Contingency Plan; The National Priorities List Revisions; Amendment. Final Rule 52 FR 27620 (07/22/87); Administrative Record 1987
- Toggle 59 BLM Oil Shale - General 2008
- Toggle 39 EPA Industrial Combustion Coordinated Rulemaking FACA 2004
- Toggle 38 EPA AVAILABILITY OF REPORT TO CONGRESS ON CRUDE OIL, NATURAL GAS AND GEOTHERMAL ENERGY, EXPLORATION, DEVELOPMENT AND PRODUCTION WASTE; ANNOUNCEMENT OF PUBLIC HEARINGS 1988
- Toggle 35 EPA Technical Review of NSPS Subpart J 2007
- Toggle 28 EPA Effluent Guidelines Program Plan for 2004/2005. 2003
- Toggle 22 DOT Continental Airlines, Inc. - Exemption/Frequency Allocation - Houston-Buenos Aires 2005
- Toggle 21 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants: Final Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Hazardous Waste Combustors (Phase I Final Replacement Standards and Phase II) 2004
- Toggle 20 EPA Oil and Natural Gas Sector -- New Source Performance Standards, National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants, and Control Techniques Guidelines 2010
Contractor Misconduct38 Instances
This information is collected by the Project On Government Oversight from press releases, court documents, news reports and other public records. It is not meant to be an exhaustive account of all instances of federal contractor misconduct.
More information on each instance, including primary source documents, is available on POGO's site by clicking on the instance description. More information on POGO's methodology is available here.
|Misconduct Type||Hired By||Incident||Year||Disposition||Penalty|
|Securities||None||U.S./European Shareholder Lawsuits Arising Out of 2004 Reserves Recategorization||2007||Settlement||$483,358,000|
|Environment||International||Breach of Lease Agreement in Nigeria||2007||Judgment Against Defendant||$147,000,000|
|Securities||None||Violations of Federal Securities Laws||2005||Administrative Agreement||$125,000,000|
|Cost/Labor Mischarge||Interior||U.S. ex rel. Johnson v. Shell (Underpayment of Oil Royalties)||2001||Settlement||$110,000,000|
|Labor||None||Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) Class Action||2005||Settlement||$91,000,000|
|Non-governmental Contract Fraud||Non-Governmental||Hebble et al. v. Shell (Oil and Gas Royalties)||2008||Judgment Against Defendant||$66,830,916|
|Government Contract Fraud||Interior||Underpayment of Gas Royalties on Gulf of Mexico Leases||2000||Settlement||$56,000,000|
|Non-governmental Contract Fraud||Non-Governmental||Atallah vs. Equilon Enterprises (Fraud)||2010||Judgment Against Defendant||$51,650,000|
|Environment||Interior||Unauthorized Venting and Flaring of Gas in the Gulf of Mexico||2003||Settlement||$49,000,000|
|Ethics||None||Panalpina Group Foreign Bribery: DOJ Investigation||2010||Deferred Prosecution Agreement||$30,000,000|
EPA Violations20 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Shell Chemical, Lp (National Case)||Shell Chemical, Lp||2010||Saraland, Al||$5,109,900|
|Shell Chemical - St. Rose (National Case)(Lead)||Shell Chemical - St. Rose||2010||Saint Rose, La||$2,790,100|
|Shell Chemical Lp||Shell Chemical Lp||2008||Mobile, Al||$1,563,246|
|Shell Chemical Yabucoa||Shell Chemical Yabucoa, Inc.||2009||Yabucoa, Pr||$1,298,000|
|Motiva Enterprises, Llc , Et Al||Shell (+2 others)||2006||Delaware City, De||$22,705,626|
|Hartford Area Hydrocarbon Site||Shell Oil Company (+4 others)||2010||Hartford, Il||$10,000,000|
|Lwd, Inc.||Shell (+84 others)||2007||Calvert City, Ky||$10,000,000|
|Waste Disposal Inc.||Shell Oil Company (+16 others)||2003||Santa Fe Springs, ...||$9,080,000|
|Cooper Drum Superfund Site Uao For Rd/Ra||Shell Oil Company (+42 others)||2009||South Gate, Ca||$9,066,848|
|American Standard, Inc. Et Al.||Shell Oil Company (+6 others)||2010||South Brunswick, Nj||$4,560,000|