Plains Exploration & Production
Plains Exploration & Production, commonly known by its New York Stock Exchange ticker symbol (PXP), is a U.S. petroleum company based in Houston, Texas. A spin-off from Plains Resources, Inc., the company was founded in 2002. Its operations, as of 2009, were all in North America, including California, Texas, Louisiana, Wyoming, and offshore of California and in the Gulf of Mexico. The company reported proved reserves of 292 million barrels of oil equivalent (BOE) at the end of 2008, with a potential total of over 2.2 billion BOE. In 2007, they were the fourth-largest oil producer in California (behind Chevron Corp., Aera Energy LLC, and Occidental Petroleum).
Campaign Finance$4,425,192 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Plains Exploration & Production
Names of Lobbyists
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Natural Resources,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Fuel, Gas & Oil
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.6899 Comprehensive American Energy Security and Consumer Protection Act S.2213 Cyber-Crime Act of 2007
RegulationsMentioned in 11 dockets; Submitted to 3 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Plains Exploration & Production" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Plains Exploration & Production
- Toggle 1 LMSO Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act; Interpretation of the "Advice" Exemption 2011
- Toggle 1 BLM Notice of Proposed Rule: Oil and Gas; Well Stimulation, Including Hydraulic Fracturing, on Federal and Indian Lands 43 CFR 3160 2012
- Toggle 1 MMS AD15 Safety and Environmental Management Systems 2008
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Plains Exploration & Production
- Toggle 1 FS Bridger-Teton National Forest--Big Piney Ranger District, Wyoming; Eagle Prospect 2006
- Toggle 1 BOEM Recently Posted BOEM Rules and Notices. Unknown
- Toggle 1 FERC Combined Filings 2013
- Toggle 1 FTC Granting of Early Termination of Waiting Period under Premerger Notification Rules 2012
- Toggle 1 Granting Requests for Early Termination of Waiting Period under the Premerger Notification Rules 2013
- Toggle 1 MMS OMM FR Docs 2007
- Toggle 1 EPA Finding of Failure to Submit a Required State Implementation Plan Revision for 1-Hour Ozone Standard (RACT), California--San Joaquin Valley 2008
- Toggle 1 EPA Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for Greenhouse Gases Under the Clean Air Act 2008
- Toggle 1 SEC Commission Guidance Regarding Managements Report on Internal Control Over Financial Reporting Under Section 13(a) or 15(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 2007
- Toggle 1 FTC Granting of Request for Early Termination of Waiting Period Under Premerger Notification Rules 2010
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Plains Exploration & Production" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee