The Olin Corporation (NYSE: OLN) is a major manufacturer of ammunition (through Winchester Ammunition) and chlorine and sodium hydroxide (Olin Chlor-Alkali Products). Based in Clayton, Missouri, it traces its history to two companies, both founded in 1892: Franklin W. Olin's Equitable Powder Company of East Alton, Illinois and the Mathieson Alkali Works of Saltville, Virginia into which Olin merged, although keeping the Olin name first. After being headquartered for many years in Stamford, CT, it is now headquartered in Clayton, Missouri.
Campaign Finance$473,775 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Olin Corp
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Olin Corp $1,583,000 Olin Corp $1,583,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Chemical Industry,
- Firearms, Guns & Ammunition,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Mining, Money & Gold Standard,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2190 Mercury Pollution Reduction Act H.R.2190 Medicare Drug Savings Act of 2011 H.R.5458 To suspend temporarily the duty on certain extrusion presses. S.838 Hunting, Fishing, and Recreational Shooting Protection Act S.1428 Mercury Pollution Reduction Act H.R.5808 To suspend temporarily the duty on certain horizontally-oriented lead shot machines. H.R.5809 To suspend temporarily the duty on certain cupping machines. H.R.5810 To suspend temporarily the duty on certain tool blocks. H.R.5811 To suspend temporarily the duty on certain parts of cupping presses. H.R.1558 To amend the Toxic Substances Control Act to clarify the jurisdiction of the Environmental Protection Agency with respect to certain sporting good articles, and to exempt those articles from a definition under that Act.
RegulationsMentioned in 516 dockets; Submitted to 21 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Olin Corp" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Olin Corp
- Toggle 4 PHMSA Railway Progress Institute, Inc. - Hazardous Materials - Exemption - Tank Cars - Various Chemicals 1998
- Toggle 3 PHMSA Olin Corporation, Winchester Division - Permit to Transport Hazardous Materials 2008
- Toggle 2 OSHA NOISE 2006
- Toggle 2 OSHA OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH HAZARDS OF CHEMICALS IN LABORATORIES 2006
- Toggle 2 PHMSA Olin Corporation - Exemption - Hazardous Materials - Transportation in Commerce of Trinitroresorcinol, Wetted, Class 1.1D, Packaged in Accordance with the Required Packing Instruction in Motor Vehicles 2004
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Olin Corporation, Winchester Division - Permit to Transport Hazardous Materials 2007
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Hazardous Materials: Enhancing Rail Transportation Security for Toxic Inhalation 2004
- Toggle 1 OSHA RECORDING AND REPORTING OCCUPATIONAL ILLNESSES AND INJURIES 2006
- Toggle 1 OSHA INORGANIC NICKEL 2006
- Toggle 1 OSHA ACCESS TO MEDICAL RECORDS 2006
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Olin Corp
- Toggle 104 PHMSA Railway Progress Institute, Inc. - Hazardous Materials - Exemption - Tank Cars - Various Chemicals 1998
- Toggle 41 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants: Mercury Emissions From Mercury Cell Chlor-Alkali Plants 2002
- Toggle 29 PHMSA Olin Corporation and Motorola Corporation - Hazardous Materials - Emergency Exemption/Modification - Satellites - Anhydrous Hydrazine Fuel 1997
- Toggle 16 PHMSA Occidental Chemical Corporation (Oxychem) - Hazardous Materials - Exemption - Tank Cars- Chlorine 1997
- Toggle 14 EPA National Emission Standards for Halogenated Solvent Cleaning 2002
- Toggle 13 EPA Preliminary 2006 Effluent Guidelines Program Plan 2004
- Toggle 13 EPA Effluent Guidelines Program Plan for 2004/2005. 2003
- Toggle 13 EPA National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutant Emissions: Hard and Decorative Chromium Electroplating and Chromium Anodizing Tanks; Group I Polymers and Resins; Marine Tank Vessel Loading Operations; Pharmaceuticals Production; The Printing and Publishing Industry; and Steel Pickling--HCl Process Facilities and Hydrochloric Acid Regeneration Plants 2010
- Toggle 9 PHMSA Notice of Applications for Modification of Special Permit 2013
- Toggle 9 EPA Pentachloronitrobenzene (PCNB) Revised Risk Assessments and Preliminary Risk Reduction Options Phase 5 of Six-Phase Process); Notice of Availability 2004
|2008||$1,600,000||Luvata Franklin, University of Iowa Telemedicine and Advanced Technology Research Center, and Olin Corp: Medical Technology -- Copper Air Quality Program|
Federal Spending1 grant; 214 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Olin Corporation||2012||THE PURPOSE OF THIS MODIFICATION IS TO EXERCISE AN OPTION.||$56,620,542|
|Olin Corporation||2010||FY11 - SLAP & SLAP-T LINKED 4:1 DELIVERY ORDER 0001||$43,441,997|
|Olin Corporation||2011||AWARD SMALL CALIBER AMMUNITION PRODUCTION, SPECIFICALLY, 5.56MM, 7.62MM, AND CAL .50.||$29,372,474|
|Olin Corporation||2007||United States Mint||BASE METAL REFINERY||$23,730,467|
|Olin Corporation||2007||United States Mint||PROVIDE BASE METAL FOR CIRCULATING COINAGE||$23,408,618|
|Olin Corporation||2012||EXERCISE OPTION.||$21,947,438|
|Olin Corporation||2001||United States Mint||$20,000,000|
|Olin Corporation||2007||United States Mint||PROVIDE BASE METAL FOR CIRCULATING COINAGE||$19,816,841|
EPA Violations9 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Sauget Area 2 Unilateral Admin Order (Cercla)||Olin Corporation (+76 others)||2002||Sauget, Il||$26,500,000|
|3m Company||Olin Corporation (+106 others)||2008||Wood Ridge, Nj||$18,000,000|
|Stoller Chemical/Pelham Phosphate||Olin Corporation (+35 others)||2007||Pelham, Ga||$14,041,111|
|Operating Industries Inc Superfund Site Admin Settlement No.2010-04||Olin Corporation (+275 others)||2011||Monterey Park, Ca||$8,500,000|
|Olin Corp||Olin Corp. (+2 others)||2007||Wilmington, Ma||$6,000,000|
|Olin Corporation||Olin Corporation (+4 others)||2005||Morgantown, Wv||$3,292,874|
|Nl Industries/Taracorp Lead Smelter (De Minimis)||Olin Corporation (+77 others)||2004||Granite City, Il||$1,960,888|
|Davis Refining Site (Referral)||Olin Corporation (+221 others)||2007||Tallahassee, Fl||$1,704,680|
|Abb, Inc.||Olin Corporation (+72 others)||2007||Wood Ridge, Nj||$1,400,000|