Occidental Petroleum Corporation (Oxy) is an US-based oil and gas exploration and production company with operations in the United States, the Middle East, North Africa, and South America. "Oxy" is the largest oil producer in Texas and the largest natural gas producer and second-largest oil producer in California, with additional operations in Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado and New Mexico. The company nickname began in 1964 in reference to Occidental’s NYSE stock ticker (OXY). Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, Oxy is the fourth-largest U.S. oil and gas company, based on equity market capitalization. As of 2010, the company has approximately 30,000 employees and contractors worldwide.
Campaign Finance$22,288,037 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
state-level data is not available in bulk for 2014. for current state data, browse http://followthemoney.org/
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Occidental Petroleum
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Occidental Petroleum $54,296,073 Occidental International $4,244,562
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Energy & Nuclear Power,
- Environment & Superfund,
- Chemical Industry,
- Natural Resources,
- Clean Air & Water,
- Hazardous & Solid Waste,
- Homeland Security
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2454 American Clean Energy And Security Act of 2009 S.1733 Green Taxis Act of 2009 H.R.2776 Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation Tax Act of 2007 S.2996 Continuing Chemical Facilities Antiterrorism Security Act of 2010 H.R.1380 New Alternative Transportation to Give Americans Solutions Act of 2011 S.3164 Polluter Pays Restoration Act H.R.564 Superfund Reinvestment Act of 2009 H.R.2766 Fracturing Responsibility and Awareness of Chemicals Act of 2009 H.R.2868 Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Act of 2009 S.906 Mercury Export Ban Act of 2008
RegulationsMentioned in 295 dockets; Submitted to 4 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Occidental Petroleum" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Occidental Petroleum
- Toggle 15 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 1 IRS Dividend Equivalents from Sources within the United States 2012
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Pipeline Safety: Public Workshop on Integrity Verification Process 2013
- Toggle 1 SEC Comments on: Advisory Committee on Improvements to Financial Reporting 2006
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Occidental Petroleum
- Toggle 22 EPA Underground Injection Control (UIC) Program: Federal Requirements for Class VI Injection Wells for the Geologic Sequestration of Carbon Dioxide - Proposed Rule 2008
- Toggle 13 NLRB Proposed rule amending representation-case procedures 2011
- Toggle 12 EPA Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) and Non-Attainment New Source Review (NSR): Baseline Emissions Determination, Actual-to-Future-Actual Methodology, Plantwide Applicability Limitations, Clean Units, Pollution Control Projects (Reconsideration) 2001
- Toggle 11 EPA Requirements for Cooling Water Intake Structures at Phase III Facilities 2004
- Toggle 8 EPA Oil and Natural Gas Sector -- New Source Performance Standards, National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants, and Control Techniques Guidelines 2010
- Toggle 8 EPA Greenhouse Gas Mandatory Reporting 2008
- Toggle 8 EPA Standards of Performance for Greenhouse Gas Emissions for New Stationary Sources: Electric Utility Generating Units 2013
- Toggle 7 EPA AVAILABILITY OF REPORT TO CONGRESS ON CRUDE OIL, NATURAL GAS AND GEOTHERMAL ENERGY, EXPLORATION, DEVELOPMENT AND PRODUCTION WASTE; ANNOUNCEMENT OF PUBLIC HEARINGS 1988
- Toggle 7 EPA Hazardous Waste Management System: Identification and Listing of Hazardous Waste: Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Injectate in Geological Sequestration Activities 2010
- Toggle 6 EPA Carbon Dioxide Injection and Geologic Sequestration Reporting Rule 2009
EPA Violations18 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Highway 71/72 Refinery||Canadianoxy Offshore Production Co||2005||Bossier City, La||$23,489,192|
|Occidental Chemical Corporation||Occidental Chemical Corporation||2010||Newark, Nj||$10,000,000|
|Occidental Chemical Corp||Occidental Chemical Corp||2004||Pottstown, Pa||$2,002,500|
|Oxy Vinyls Limited (Lead)(National Case)||Oxy Vinyls Limited Partnership||2006||Deer Park, Tx; ...||$1,064,000|
|Occidental Chemical Corporation, Et Al.||Occidental Chemical Corporation (+1 others)||2008||Newark, Nj||$80,000,000|
|Alliance Chemical Inc Et Al.||Occidental Chemical Corp succ to Diamond Shamrock (+71 others)||2007||Newark, Nj||$37,000,000|
|Port Of Tacoma Occidental Chemical||Occidental Chemical Corp (+3 others)||2005||Tacoma, Wa||$36,500,000|
|Casmalia Resources - Casmalia Negotiating Committee||Occidental Petroleum (+26 others)||2003||Casmalia, Ca||$28,553,979|
|3m Company||Occidental Chemical Corp (+106 others)||2008||Wood Ridge, Nj||$18,000,000|
|Alcan Corporation||Occidental Chemical Corporation (+81 others)||2007||Newark, Nj||$13,150,000|
Advisory Committees1 person on 3 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Occidental Petroleum" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Commerce 1 person on 1 committee