Northwestern University (NU) is a private university located primarily in Evanston, Illinois. Northwestern has twelve undergraduate, graduate, and professional schools and colleges offering 123 undergraduate degrees and 145 graduate and professional degrees.
Campaign Finance$589,407 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Northwestern University
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Northwestern University $1,175,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Medical Research & Clin Labs,
- Copyright, Patent & Trademark,
- Economics & Econ Development,
- Small Business,
- Veterans Affairs
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1211 Student Visa Security Improvement Act H.R.1048 Tyler Clementi Higher Education Anti-Harassment Act of 2011 H.R.1199 Campus Fire Safety Education Act of 2011 H.R.1833 Mental Health on Campus Improvement Act H.R.2117 Protecting Academic Freedom in Higher Education Act H.R.2146 DATA Act S.952 Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2011 H.R.2842 Bureau of Reclamation Small Conduit Hydropower Development and Rural Jobs Act of 2011 S.1297 A bill to preserve State and institutional authority relating to State authorization and the definition of credit hour. S.1627 Resident Physician Shortage Reduction Act of 2011
RegulationsMentioned in 110 dockets; Submitted to 10 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Northwestern University" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Northwestern University
- Toggle 5 HHS Human Subjects Research Protections: Enhancing Protections for Research Subjects and Reducing Burden, Delay, and Ambiguity for Investigators 2011
- Toggle 1 FWS Threatened Status for the Distinct Population Segment of the North American Wolverine Occurring in the Continguous United States 2012
- Toggle 1 FDA Draft Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff: The Content of Investigational Device Exemption (IDE) and Premarket Approval (PMA) Applications for Low Glucose Suspend Device Systems 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Center for Devices and Radiological Health 510(k) Clearance Process; Institute of Medicine Report: “Medical Devices and the Public’s Health, The FDA 510(k) Clearance Process at 35 Years;” Request for Comments 2011
- Toggle 1 DOT Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability in Programs or Activities Receiving Federal Financial Assistance (U.S. Airports) 2011
- Toggle 1 FDA Food Labeling; Calorie Labeling of Articles of Food in Vending Machines 2011
- Toggle 1 OPM Excepted Service, Career and Career-Conditional Employment; and Pathways Programs 2011
- Toggle 1 HHSIG Solicitation of New Safe Harbors and Special Fraud Alerts 2011
- Toggle 1 CDC Public Health Service Guideline for Reducing Transmission of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), Hepatitis B Virus (HBV), and Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) through Solid Organ Transplantation 2011
- Toggle 1 DOS Cultural Property Advisory Committee meeting - Belize 2011
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Northwestern University
- Toggle 13 HHS Human Subjects Research Protections: Enhancing Protections for Research Subjects and Reducing Burden, Delay, and Ambiguity for Investigators 2011
- Toggle 10 NRC Petitions for Rulemaking Related to Safety and Environmental Implications of the Fukushima Task Force Report 2011
- Toggle 6 CMS Medicare Program; Revisions to Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule, DME Face-to-Face Encounters, Elimination of the Requirement for Termination of Non-Random Prepayment Complex Medical Review and Other Revisions to Part B for CY 2013 (CMS-1590-P) 2012
- Toggle 5 FDA Citizens Petition-Investigation of Edwards Lifesciences, Northwestern University IRB, and Dr. Patrick McCathy -CLOSED 2011
- Toggle 5 EPA Greenhouse Gas New Source Performance Standard for Electric Generating Units 2011
- Toggle 5 FDA PDUFA V Patient-Focused Drug Development; Public Meeting and Request for Comments 2012
- Toggle 5 EPA Control of Air Pollution From New Motor Vehicles: Tier 3 Motor Vehicle Emission and Fuel Standards 2011
- Toggle 4 EPA Phosphorus Water Quality Standards for Florida Everglades 2011
- Toggle 3 NHTSA Environmental Impact Statement for Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE)Standards, Model Years 2017-2025 2011
- Toggle 3 OMB Reform of Federal Policies Relating to Grants and Cooperative Agreements; Cost Principles and Administrative Requirements (including Single Audit Act) 2012
Federal Spending79 grants; 13 contracts; 1 loan
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Northwestern University||2011||National Institutes Of Health||BIOMEDICAL (BASIC)||$8,185,888|
|Northwestern University||2012||National Institutes Of Health||MULTIDISCIPLINARY CLINICAL AND TRANSLATIONAL SCIENCE (MCTS) PROGRAM (UL1)||$5,379,357|
|Northwestern University||2012||National Institutes Of Health||TITLE: NATIONAL CHILDREN'S STUDY - HEALTH MEASUREMENT NETWORK - TASK 3 HHSN275201200007I (SOUTH ROC)||$5,056,665|
|Northwestern University||2012||National Institutes Of Health||IGF::OT::IGF OTHER FUNCTIONS - STRUCTURAL GENOMICS CENTERS FOR INFECTIOUS DISEASES||$4,898,202|
|Northwestern University||2011||National Institutes Of Health||THE ROBERT H. LURIE COMPREHENSIVE CANCER CENTER||$4,829,858|
|Northwestern University||2012||National Institutes Of Health||THE ROBERT H. LURIE COMPREHENSIVE CANCER CENTER||$4,829,857|
|Northwestern University||2011||National Institutes Of Health||MULTIDISCIPLINARY CLINICAL AND TRANSLATIONAL SCIENCE (MCTS) PROGRAM (UL1)||$4,660,583|
|Northwestern University||2012||National Institutes Of Health||HYPERGLYCEMIA AND PREGNANCY OUTCOME(HAPO)FOLLOW UP STUDY||$4,560,375|
|Northwestern University||2011||Education, Department Of||CAMPUS BASED/FWS||$3,788,583|
|Northwestern University||2012||National Institutes Of Health||NCS NAVIGATOR IMS HUB||$3,695,605|
Advisory Committees114 people on 42 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Northwestern University" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle National Science Foundation 91 people on 24 committees
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 11 people on 10 committees
- Toggle National Endowment for the Humanities 3 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Commerce 3 people on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Veterans Affairs 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle National Aeronautics and Space Administration 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Energy 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Commodity Futures Trading Commission 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Office of Science and Technology Policy 1 person on 1 committee