Northwestern Mutual is a mutual company based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin that offers financial services, including life insurance, long-term care insurance, disability insurance, annuities, mutual funds, and employee benefit services. Northwestern Mutual also provides consultation on asset and income protection, personal needs, investments, financial planning, estate planning, trusts, business needs, retirement, and employee benefits.
Campaign Finance$3,564,968 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Northwestern Mutual
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Northwestern Mutual Life $48,457,000 Northwestern Mutual Life $48,457,000 Frank Russell Co $2,046,000
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Consumer Product Safety,
- Health Issues,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.4173 Wall Street Transparency and Accountability Act of 2010 H.R.2733 Fixed Indexed Annuities and Insurance Products Classification Act of 2009 S.344 Hedge Fund Transparency Act S.1389 Fixed Indexed Annuities and Insurance Products Classification Act of 2009 H.R.225 Emergency Homeownership and Equity Protection Act H.R.703 H.R.788 S.444 National Health Information Technology and Privacy Advancement Act of 2009 H.R.1039 Promoting Health Information Technology Act of 2009 H.R.2221 Data Accountability and Trust Act
RegulationsMentioned in 68 dockets; Submitted to 6 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Northwestern Mutual" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Northwestern Mutual
- Toggle 1 DOT Time Zone Boundaries in the State of Indiana 2005
- Toggle 1 EBSA Fee and Expense Disclosures to Participants in Individual Account Plans 2007
- Toggle 1 FWS General Regulations for Areas Administered by the National Park Service and the Fish and Wildlife Service 2008
- Toggle 1 TREAS Review by the Treasury Department of the Regulatory Structure Associated with Financial Institutions 2007
- Toggle 1 OCC Volcker Rule - Prohibition on Proprietary Trading and Certain Relationships with Hedge Funds and Private Equity Funds 2011
- Toggle 1 CFPB Request for Information Regarding Senior Financial Exploitation 2012
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Northwestern Mutual
- Toggle 14 DOT Time Zone Boundaries in the State of Indiana 2005
- Toggle 6 EPA Rulemaking for the Steam Electric Power Generating Effluent Limitations Guidelines 2009
- Toggle 3 HHS Rescission of the Regulation entitled "Ensuring That Department of Health and Human Services Funds Do Not Support Coercive or Discriminatory Policies or Practices in Violation of Federal Law"; Proposal 2009
- Toggle 2 EBSA Request for Information Regarding Lifetime Income Options for Participants and Beneficiaries in Retirement Plans 2010
- Toggle 2 Pension Benefit Statements 2013
- Toggle 2 TREAS Review by the Treasury Department of the Regulatory Structure Associated with Financial Institutions 2007
- Toggle 2 EBSA PTE 2009-08 Raymond James & Associates, Inc., Application Number D–11490. 2008
- Toggle 2 EBSA PTE 2009-06 Citigroup, Inc., Application No. D-11481 2008
- Toggle 2 EBSA Northwestern Mutual Investment Services, LLC, Application Number D–11505 2008
- Toggle 2 EPA Criteria and Standards for Cooling Water Intake Structures 2008
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Northwestern Mutual" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 1 person on 1 committee