Northwest Airlines, Inc. (often abbreviated NWA), was a major United States airline headquartered in Eagan, Minnesota, near Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. Northwest has merged into Delta Air Lines. Northwest had three major hubs in the United States: Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport, and Memphis International Airport. Northwest also operated flights from its Asian hub at Narita International Airport (Tokyo). Transatlantic flights were operated from its European hub at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol in cooperation with its partner airline KLM.
Campaign Finance$6,244,673 Given
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
state-level data is not available in bulk for 2014. for current state data, browse http://followthemoney.org/
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- PAC Color Block
- Organization's PAC(s)
- Employee Color Block
- Associated Individuals
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of Northwest Airlines
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount Northwest Airlines $28,439,391 Fleishman-Hillard Inc $0
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Aviation, Airlines & Airports,
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Homeland Security,
- Fuel, Gas & Oil,
- Travel & Tourism
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.2830 Pension Protection Act of 2005 S.1783 Pension Security and Transparency Act of 2005 H.R.2881 FAA Reauthorization Act of 2007 H.R.1356 Next Generation Air Transportation System Financing Reform Act of 2007 S.1300 Aviation Investment and Modernization Act of 2007 S.1076 Next Generation Air Transportation System Financing Reform Act of 2007 H.R.3539 Airport and Airway Trust Fund Financing Act of 2007 H.R.6 Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 H.R.2698 Federal Aviation Research and Development Reauthorization Act of 2007 H.R.3236 Sustainable Energy Institutional Infrastructure Act of 2007
RegulationsMentioned in 184 dockets; Submitted to 9 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "Northwest Airlines" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for Northwest Airlines
- Toggle 2 PHMSA Trans World Airlines - Hazardous Materials - Exemption - Motor Vehicle - Chemical Oxygen Generators 1997
- Toggle 2 TSA Air Cargo Security Requirements 2004
- Toggle 2 TSA Large Aircraft Security Program, Other Aircraft Operator Security Program, and Airport Operator Security Program 2008
- Toggle 2 TSA Private Charter Security Rules 2002
- Toggle 1 FTA Northwest Airlines, Inc. - Petition/Exemption 2009
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Air Transport Association - Exemption - Hazardous Materials - Authorize the Transportation in Commerce of Fire Extinguishers to be Shipped with an Alternative Proper Shipping Name 2001
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Air Crusiers Company - Exemption - Hazardous Materials - Transport of Life-Saving Appliances Containing a Compressed Gas Cylinder 2002
- Toggle 1 PHMSA Transportation of Compressed Oxygen, Other Oxidizing Gases and Chemical Oxygen Generators on Aircraft 2004
- Toggle 1 TSA Secure Flight Program (NPRM) 2007
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for Northwest Airlines
- Toggle 14 PHMSA Trans World Airlines - Hazardous Materials - Exemption - Motor Vehicle - Chemical Oxygen Generators 1997
- Toggle 13 TSA Aviation Security Infrastructure Air Carrier Fees 2002
- Toggle 8 TSA Large Aircraft Security Program, Other Aircraft Operator Security Program, and Airport Operator Security Program 2008
- Toggle 8 PHMSA Air Transport Association of America (ATA) - Exemption - 4DA and 4DS Cylinders - Aircraft System Components 1997
- Toggle 6 TSA Private Charter Security Rules 2002
- Toggle 5 PHMSA Hazardous Materials; Prohibition on the Transportation of Primary Lithium Batteries and Cells Aboard Passenger Aircraft 2004
- Toggle 5 PHMSA Association of Waste Hazardous Materials Transportation - Hazardous Materials - Petition for a Determination of Preemption 1998
- Toggle 5 PHMSA U.S. DOT/RSPA - Notice of Proposed Rulemaking 2002
- Toggle 4 PHMSA Prohibition of Oxidizers Aboard Aircraft 1996
- Toggle 4 TSA Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fees 2001
Federal Spending18 contracts
Federal grants, contracts and loans are reported by federal agencies using the FPDS and FAADS systems. The data is made available to the public at USASpending.gov. Please note that the completeness and quality of the data varies greatly by agency.
Only grants, contracts and loans with amounts over $1 million are shown.
Because company names are not reported in a standardized manner, we cannot reliably determine the company receiving the contract or award. The results shown here are based on a search for the company name. Individual records may be missed or erroneously included because of name variations. For more information, please see our federal spending methodology page.
Note: Company names in federal spending data are not standardized. The table below is included only as a sample of what is available in the data and has not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness. To investigate the data further, use the links at the bottom of the table.
|Northwest Airlines Inc||2001||$1,705,082|
|Northwest Airlines Inc||2002||$1,574,392|
|Northwest Airlines Inc||2001||$1,564,311|
|Northwest Airlines Inc||2003||$1,524,818|
|Northwest Airlines Inc||2001||$1,502,227|
|Northwest Airlines Inc||2001||$1,486,750|
|Northwest Airlines Inc||2004||$1,474,030|
|Northwest Airlines Inc||2002||$1,460,580|
|Northwest Airlines Inc||2003||$1,377,510|
|Northwest Airlines Inc||2004||$1,292,670|
EPA Violations1 Enforcement Actions
Figures are based on data from the Environmental Protection Agency’s ECHO website. The ECHO database contains federal and state environmental enforcement actions. Data displayed here includes only those actions that began after 2000 and resulted in fines of over $1 million.
Actions where the company was the sole defendant are listed first. Actions where the company is one of multiple defendants are listed subsequently.
For more information see our EPA methodology page.
|Beede Waste Oil Superfund Site||Northwest Airlines Inc (+493 others)||2001||Plaistow, Nh||$1,662,814|
Advisory Committees35 people on 13 committees
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "Northwest Airlines" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Transportation 29 people on 3 committees
- Toggle National Aeronautics and Space Administration 4 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of Justice 2 people on 3 committees
- Toggle Department of Homeland Security 2 people on 2 committees
- Toggle Department of Defense 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of Education 1 person on 1 committee
- Toggle Department of the Treasury 1 person on 1 committee