National Education Assn
The National Education Association (NEA) is the largest professional organization and largest labor union in the United States, representing public school teachers and other support personnel, faculty and staffers at colleges and universities, retired educators, and college students preparing to become teachers. The NEA has 3.2 million members and is headquartered in Washington, D.C. With affiliate organizations in every state and in more than 14,000 communities across the nation, it employs over 550 staff and had a budget of more than $307 million for the 2006–2007 fiscal year. Dennis Van Roekel is the NEA's current president.
Figures are based on itemized contributions reported to the Federal Election Commission and state agencies. Please note that:
- contributions under $200 are not reported, and so are not included in totals.
- only contributions from individuals and organizations to candidates are included. Various accounting measures and more exotic contribution types are excluded.
- contributions are matched based on organization and recipient name reported within each election cycle. Contributions using an incorrect or non-standard version of the name may be missed.
- corporate name changes and mergers may cause figures to differ from those of the Center for Responsive Politics.
- organization totals include known subsidiaries of the organization.
Latest FEC Datacovers through committee's January 31, 2010 filing. independent expenditures updated daily.
Summaryoverview of the committee's finances
- Total Raised:
- Total Spent:
- Cash on Hand:
Independent Expendituresmoney spent supporting or opposing a candidate
Candidate Support/Oppose Total Spent Ken BuckOppose $1,897,000 Dino RossiOppose $1,402,000 Harold JohnsonOppose $673,936 David SchweikertOppose $650,000 Tom GanleyOppose $550,000 Pat ToomeyOppose $500,000 Rand PaulOppose $400,000 Robert HurtOppose $284,962 Scott TiptonOppose $178,497 Allen WestOppose $175,040
Top Contributorstop donors giving over $100,000
Standardized Donation Informationcovers roughly through Q4 2012. may lag behind FEC section above, as donors and industries are identified by hand.
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Republicans vs. Democratsin dollars. "Other" includes 3rd parties and organizations without official party affiliation.
State vs. Federalin dollars
Top PAC Recipients
- Employee Color Block
- PAC Color Block
Figures are based on lobbying activity reported to the Senate Office of Public Records. Reported dollar amounts are required to be accurate only to the nearest $20,000. For organizations whose primary business is lobbying, we display total income and top clients. For organizations that are not primarily lobbying firms, we display total amount spent on lobbying and top lobbying firms hired.
For more information, please see our lobbying methodology page.
Lobbying on Behalf of National Education Assn
Names of Lobbyists
Firm Hired Amount National Education Assn $5,616,379
Most Frequently Disclosed Lobbying Issues
- Fed Budget & Appropriations,
- Labor, Antitrust & Workplace,
- Health Issues,
- Radio & TV Broadcasting,
- Civil Rights & Civil Liberties,
Most Frequently Disclosed Bills
Bill No. Title H.R.1586 FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act H.R.4899 Disaster Relief and Summer Jobs Act of 2010 H.R.5504 Improving Nutrition for America's Children Act S.3206 Keep Our Educators Working Act of 2010 H.R.235 Social Security Fairness Act of 2009 H.R.1 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 H.R.4213 Tax Extenders Act of 2009 S.2860 Preventing Harmful Restraint and Seclusion in Schools Act H.R.2377 H.R.2847 Department of Commerce Appropriations Act, 2010
RegulationsMentioned in 36 dockets; Submitted to 11 dockets
All data is based on documents downloaded from Regulations.gov. The first table shows mentions: all documents that include the name of the company anywhere in the document or document metadata. The second table shows submissions: all documents where the submitter metadata included the company name. Each table shows the top 10 dockets, ranked by number of occurrences.
Matches are based on a search for the company name. Variations in the company name, such as acronyms, nicknames or alternate names may cause documents to be missed. The mention of a company name in a document may be incidental and does not necessarily indicate that the company has any relevance to the document. Company names that are common English words may erroneously match with text that is not referring to the company.
Not all agencies submit public comments to Regulations.gov. For a list of participating and non-participating agencies see here. Agencies that do submit to Regulations.gov have varying levels of accuracy and completeness.
Regulations and public comments can be downloaded in bulk here.
The tables show occurrences of "National Education Assn" in public comments on proposed federal regulations.
Documents Submitted by the Organization
View all submissions data for National Education Assn
- Toggle 2 ED Race to the Top Fund -- Notice of Proposed Priorities, Requirements, Definitions, and Selection Criteria 2009
- Toggle 1 ED School Improvement Grants -- Notice of Proposed Requirements 2009
- Toggle 1 ED Teacher Incentive Fund 2010
- Toggle 1 ED Investing in Innovation--Notice of Proposed Priorities, Requirements, Definitions, and Selection Criteria 2009
- Toggle 1 ED State Fiscal Stabilization Fund -- Notice of Proposed Requirements, Definitions, and Approval Criteria 2009
- Toggle 1 LMSO Trust Annual Reports 2009
- Toggle 1 ED Proposed Priorities for Department of Education Discretionary Grant Programs 2010
- Toggle 1 HHS Group Health Plans and Health Insurance Issuers: Internal Claims and Appeals and External Review Processes under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 2010
- Toggle 1 HHS Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: Preexisting Condition Exclusions, Lifetime and Annual Limits, Rescissions, and PatientProtections 2010
- Toggle 1 HHS Early Retiree Reinsurance Program 2010
Mentions in Document Text
View all mentions data for National Education Assn
- Toggle 14 ED Race to the Top Fund -- Notice of Proposed Priorities, Requirements, Definitions, and Selection Criteria 2009
- Toggle 4 ED School Improvement Grants -- Notice of Proposed Requirements 2009
- Toggle 3 ED Gainful Employment--Student Assistance General Provisions--34 CFR Part 668 2010
- Toggle 3 USDA Task Force on Childhood Obesity 2010
- Toggle 3 LMSO Trust Annual Reports 2009
- Toggle 2 ED Investing in Innovation--Notice of Proposed Priorities, Requirements, Definitions, and Selection Criteria 2009
- Toggle 2 FDA Required Warnings for Cigarette Packages & Advertisements 2010
- Toggle 2 OFCCP Affirmative Action and Nondiscrimination Obligations of Contractors and Subcontractors Regarding Individuals with Disabilities 2010
- Toggle 2 ED Proposed Priorities for Department of Education Discretionary Grant Programs 2010
- Toggle 1 LMSO Labor Organization Officer and Employee Reports [Form LM-30]; Proposed Rule 2010
Advisory Committees1 person on 1 committee
Data is based on disclosures required by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). Matches are based on the occurrence of the company name in the committee member affiliation. Variations in company names may cause some matches to be missed.
The table shows only the top 10 agencies. To search and download raw records from the complete dataset see the FACA data section.
Table shows employees of "National Education Assn" that sat on federal advisory committees.
- Toggle Department of Health and Human Services 1 person on 1 committee